Autistic son turned down PIP - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic son turned down PIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Jack_W
    Jack_W Scope Member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @jenny1974,

Sorry I'm a bit late in responding here. There has already been some good advice by some of the other community members, including mandatory reconsideration, which would be the best option to take in order to avoid restarting the application again. Perhaps you might want to keep a diary record of your son's activities and what he struggles with most in order to gather evidence, which will be needed to have a greater chance of success to overturn the DWP assessor's decision.

You might find some of this information here quite helpful:
    Take care,
    Jack
  • jenny1974
    jenny1974 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Thank you that's what I will be doing 
  • Percy62
    Percy62 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    You can get support from scope and citizens advice to help you fill out your form.
    I downloaded a copy of the descriptors . It's not about having the issue it's how it affects you, so for instance my son can speak and communicate with people but he often swears at them or gets very cross because that's how his autism works.
    Make sure that every time you took him  to a health consultant you get a photocopy-the more evidence you can show the more likely you'll get points.
    Once your son was 16 he should be able to get universal credit, and work capability.
    He's entitled to both these so it's important to apply while waiting for pip.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Percy62 said:
    You can get support from scope and citizens advice to help you fill out your form.
    I downloaded a copy of the descriptors . It's not about having the issue it's how it affects you, so for instance my son can speak and communicate with people but he often swears at them or gets very cross because that's how his autism works.
    Make sure that every time you took him  to a health consultant you get a photocopy-the more evidence you can show the more likely you'll get points.
    Once your son was 16 he should be able to get universal credit, and work capability.
    He's entitled to both these so it's important to apply while waiting for pip.

This thread is from 2018 and the memeber hasn't been active since that time. Your advice about 16 year old being able to UC isn't quite correct. UC is generally for those 18 and over. In some circumstances it maybe possible.
    However, if a 16 year old is still in full time non advanced education and has parental support they are unable to claim UC. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.