I have my appeal in the tribunal court on Thursday the 6th of December - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my appeal in the tribunal court on Thursday the 6th of December

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    @parisjoans great news.  As you're your daughters appointee, you'll receive the backpay on her behalf and you then give the money to your daughter.

I'm my daughters appointee and her PIP is paid into my bank account. Once i receive her money, i transfer the whole amount to her as soon as i receive it. It's not my money to spend, it's hers. I then manage her bills and advise her what money she has left.

Back dated money can take 8 weeks after a Tribunal win.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Tardis said:
    @yadnad; Have you tried Kent Law Clinic?
    Do you mean Canterbury Uni Law Clinic?

Yes I had them to represent me at a Tribunal some years back over a Council Tax appeal which I won.

I then approached them earlier this year after failing the MR to ask if they would like to take over the PIP appeal. They told me that they no longer get involved predominately in domestic issues and now spend most of their time dealing with representation of illegal immigrants that are held in the large detention centre in Dover. Illegal immigration is a big issue locally and getting worse. Over 100 'boat people' from France have been arrested (then let go) in the past couple of weeks. Their claims for asylum are still being processed. Those held in detention to be extradited back to their home country are obviously fighting their removal.
  • Tardis
    You always have a ready answer for why no solution could possibly work for you.  Every advice service which exists is no good as they have already had the 'pleasure' of dealing with you in the past.  Given the limited options in your area I would have thought you would have tried harder to get on with them.
  • Yadnad
    Tardis said:
    You always have a ready answer for why no solution could possibly work for you.  Every advice service which exists is no good as they have already had the 'pleasure' of dealing with you in the past.  Given the limited options in your area I would have thought you would have tried harder to get on with them.
    Thanks very much - it's my fault then that the agencies that are available are poorly staffed and what staff they do have are poorly trained. 
    Of course I have an answer to most if not all solutions offered. I have over the years seen every available agency and came to the conclusion that they are unable to offer the service I needed.

I can't force the University Law Clinic to make an exception for me when they have clearly said that they no longer do 'domestic' work.

I have experience with most if not all available agencies. Yes they are able to fill out forms - one such agency was said by the Judge in my wife's AA appeal case that the her claim form was poorly completed. I took the blame for that telling the Judge that I did it when in fact the agency did! Won't go back there.
    AgeUK do not have a professional welfare rights officer. Due to funding cuts they can only help with basic form filling.
    Tried CAB, they promised to get back to me years ago to arrange for me to go back to them for help filling out the first (2013) PIP2 form - I had to give up as no contact was forthcoming and the deadline for getting the form back was fast approaching. They do not offer representation.
    DIAL used to be around but moved away to North Kent which is way too far away.
    DISK, a private charity in Folkestone that again only helps with filling out forms.

Formal representation certainly does not exist locally.

I get along with everyone I come across - what I can't accept is finding out that they either are inadequate or fail to do what they said that they would do.

• Tardis
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Hi @chelle77  I used a group called "fightback" for help with my ESA50, I know they have a lot of knowledge in regards to appeals, claims, MR's etc. They also have a Facebook page and a website. I did pay "costs" to have my ESA50 done but they do know what they are doing.

They also give free advice via email and I believe you can give them a call also, best to check their Facebook page.

If you are able to get help from Welfare Rights, CAB or any other advice centre then I would try that option first. I had a home visit from Welfare Rights last week.

I hope it's ok to let Chell know about Fightback, please remove my post if not. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry but i'd never pay anyone to help me fill out a form, when there's advice centres out there that will do this for free.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tardis
    It might be a solution for @yadnad though.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited December 2018
    @Username_removed it wasn't for the advice it was for the form filling, they claim it incurred charges *shrugs*. Welfare Rights more or less said the same as you tbh.

It's free advice though, don't know if they charge for other services, I've not used them since, I used Welfare Rights.

I did suggest they contact Welfare Rights or any other advice centres first :P

Edit - I didn't see the other posts before I made this one! sorry. I think I'm going to step out of this thread though, don't really want to see people arguing lol.

I hope Chelle gets the help she/he needs.

• Tardis
    Sorry Mike.  I should have resisted the urge.  
  • Yadnad
    edited December 2018
    https://community.scope.org.uk/profile/mikehughescq  Mike I know that my benefit claims are not unique in any way. I accept that I do not understand how these benefits work and struggle to claim them.
    The PIP claim utterly confuses me and my health, both physical and mental doesn't help me either.
    The filling in of the PIP claim form is well past as are the consequences of the failed assessment and MR processes. 
    I know what I want but don't have the confidence in any of the agencies that I have approached in the past for the reasons stated. I know my own limitations hence why I gave up the fight for PIP back in March.

What I would like is someone to 'carry me' through the appeal stage. Ideally representation would be amazing. I can sit for hours and listen to what I should do but putting that into action is another thing. My brain does not function as it should do due to the damage sustained and along with the drugs I take I cannot grasp things at all.
    Frustration builds up in me which then results in what some may say is that I 'throw my toys out of my pram'!
    This then all goes round and round in circles with no end ever being in sight.

Yes The claim is doomed at the moment with how I completed the claim form and the way I handled the face to face assessment process. What may seem totally illogical to you and others is logical to me.

I took the blame for CROP as it seemed the right thing to do at the time - yes I realised it was a shambles but was I or my wife responsible? The last thing I wanted to do was to destroy the credibility of that agency in the eyes of the Tribunal. Much better for me to take the blame.

Yes I had to give up with waiting for the CAB to get back to me. Maybe they weren't interested in helping me. Of course I could have telephoned them and blasted them for the delay. Time took over, I had already been granted a 7 day reprieve to get the form back and the deadline was only days away. Maybe it was my fault for not going to the CAB earlier in the claim process. Anyhow the form had to be retuned so I had to complete it.
    Obviously in my mind I blamed them (CAB) for their lack of attention in not doing what they had promised.

I have been to everyone that I thought might help certainly with the PIP issue. Having lost faith in the CAB I tried others. None was able to help me get beyond the MR failure and onwards to the Tribunal. It was as though I should be able to do it without any help or advice. I simply cannot face the prospect due to my difficulties.
    I even tried to get involved with the RBL (as a veteran) At best they could only offer telephone advice which to be honest went straight over my head.

Yes my statement about how far I could walk (not can) is I still believe correct. It would probably take me a couple of hours and by the end I would be exhausted but I know that I could do it.

All of that aside, I have read pages on the net about AA and in fact asked many questions on this site. But I still don't understand how the damn benefit works. The terminology used confuses me. I see that the criteria means one thing but to others something totally different.
    Then I have to convince myself that I do in fact qualify for it and on balance would get it.

It took me 7 years from when the DWP closed the DLA claim through lack of contact with the renewal process and similarly with the IIDB when I failed to lodge an appeal against a refusal to award. That was in 2004 and all of it happened whilst I was in hospital for 3 months. When I came home I could not face anything as I was far too ill. It took until 2011 before I managed to convince myself that I should do something. You have no idea how hard that was worrying that I would have to give both benefits up as I did not have the fight in me if all were denied. Thankfully my DLA and IIDB were reinstated from 2011 at the same rates as they were in 2004. Consequently I have to live with the fact that my family lost out for those 7 years on money that was due to me - something well over £20,000.

• Yadnad
    Tardis said:
    It might be a solution for @yadnad though.  
    I am quite able to put pen to paper. What I write is probably rubbish but I certainly don't intend paying anybody to hold a pen.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.