We are both 76 is there any other help we can get? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We are both 76 is there any other help we can get?

Trendygirl
Trendygirl Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I hope this is allowed as l am joining this group on behalf of my husband Bill. Bill has hereditary cerebellar ataxia. He fell and broke his hip six weeks ago, he spent 12 days in hospital but though the leg is healing his walking has deteriorated. He doesn't have any treatment our GP says there isn't any? He does get the higher rate of attendance allowance. I can't get carers allowance. We are both 76 is there any other help we can get? He can just shuffle about now with his zimma frame, his speech is very slurred his hands shake badly and he chokes a lot. We have had a stair lift put in his brother has put grab rails up and he has a lifeline buzzer that he wears round his neck. We have paid for all of this ourselves. Eventually we both feel he will have to go into a home as l simply won't be able to look after him. Any advice would be so helpful.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Trendygirl and Bill, welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what has happened, here are some links below which may be of use to you:
    • Benefits Calculator - A handy tool which enables you to find out what benefits you may be eligible for.
    • Services Directory - This enables you to find our what services and support is available in your area.
    • Social Care - This may be something to consider if you strongly feel that you are struggling and need an extra pair of hands to care for your husband.
    • Grants - If you are struggling to make adaptations to your home or for something else, the information provided will help you to search what grants there are and how to apply.
    • Ageing and disability - This will inform you what types of therapies are available and tips for your wellbeing.
    Did Bill receive physiotherapy during his hospital stay?

Hope the links above are useful to you and please let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Trendygirl
    Thank you so much for such a prompt reply. Going to read it all. Bill did get a bit of physio in hospital but to be honest it wasn't much. I have a OT coming tomorrow afternoon because his movement has deteriorated so much.
  • Ami2301
    It's great that an OT is coming to visit, let us know how you get on.

The hospital should have offered support and aftercare following Bill's discharge, it might be worth speaking to your GP to discuss community physiotherapists who come to your home, they can come out once a week and suggest exercises which will benefit Bill to practise with.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Trendygirl
    and thank you @Ami2301 for such a great response!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Not a problem @Sam_Scope :) 
  • Trendygirl
    I'll let you know how we get on thanks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.