Could I have your opinions please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could I have your opinions please

shelly440
shelly440 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, was just looking advise. The claim has been a bit strange from the beginning. I applied for my Husband on 4 October 2018. Posted it off on 23rd October. Husband had a Home Based Assessment on 22 November (Mental Health, Arthritis and Stroke). This was strange as he was in bed when the assessor arrived. I explained he had a bad night. I went up to the Kitchen when a few minutes later she followed me up. She said she seen all she needed to see and proceeded to ask me questions for 2 hours. I thought, ok, strange but whatever it is, it is. I told her on numerous occasions that I would take my husband up but she said No. Anyways, I rang a few weeks later to see if there was a decision and was informed that the assessor stated my husband was not available to do the assessment. Cutting a long story short, he had to have a second one done, which was a week ago today. That assessor advised me to make an appointment for my husband to attend the GP as she believed he has the onset of Dementia. Am I missing something here? Is the Timescale not a bit long? I also dont know what to take of the assessor telling me this at the door, albeit, I have made an appointment, and appreciate her professional opinion. He could not complete the mobility tests and was confused throughout the assessment. She told him that she did not think it was safe for him to carry out the mobility tests. I'm hoping that she was genuine and not just trying to trick me into thinking that we might actually get some help. Maybe I'm just being hopeful at this stage, as it has been quite a wait

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,936 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You should make a complaint to the health assessment providers about the first HCP that came. They most likely won't do anything but at least you can try.

As for timescales, these vary depending on area and backlog. Home assessments can often take longer to receive an appointment date than those attending one of their centres. I returned my daughters PIP review forms almost 8 weeks ago and haven't hear anything yet.

Backlogs is just part of the reason the process can be delayed. When she first claimed it, it took just over 4 months from applying to having a decision. The backlogs are considerably less now than they were a few years ago.

Believe it or not there are some nice HCPs out there, we just don't hear about them very often. Hopefully they remain nice when writing the report. Your husband can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to him, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shelly440
    edited January 2019
    Thank you for that :) I also want to apologise for the multiple posts, but it kept saying that it wasn't posted :( It was quite quick in receiving the Home Assessment date, on both occasions. I was just concerned that it was taking too long. I am presuming that IF he gets an award, it will be backdated until when the application was requested? I do not like ringing them all of the time, but I'm wary of another mistake having being made, and we will be sitting wondering, just for them to turn round and say that another assessment is needed. The HCP did come across as if she genuinely cared, but then again, thats their job. Its just another waiting game I guess  :( 
  • poppy123456
    Unless he was transferring from DLA then yes, it's backdated to the date he rang to start the claim.

Ring to ask for the assessment report, as advised, if you live in the UK. That will give you some idea. If no award is recommended then you'll be able to start to write to letter for the Mandatory Reconsideration, while you wait but you won't be able to request it until a decision is made. Hopefully this won't be needed of course. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shelly440
    Thank you,so they said they didn't have a copy of the Assessment Report yet :(  We are in N Ireland
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Yes, as you're in N Ireland then they won't send the assessment report before a decision is made. Hopefully won't be too long. Here in the UK it's between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Could be different over there, i don't know.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.