Can I ask for a home visit on behalf of my dad? — Scope | Disability forum

Can I ask for a home visit on behalf of my dad?

System Posts: 738 Scope online community team
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is JimJims!.


  • JimJims
    JimJims Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My father is 64 years old & been on benefits for 10 years, he is on ESA higher component & PIP Higher component & is in the no workgroup. he as just received the letter to attend a medical he is pretty much bed bound it's very difficult for him to get out of the house these day's & the job centre is 18 miles away this is presenting him with anxiety & thoughts of death racing through his head he can't sleep or eat! I am Mr Wilmot's daughter writing this for him my name is Kelly, can I ask for a home visit? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JimJims, how are you doing? Have you asked for a home assessment as a reasonable adjustment already? Do let us know and we'll do our best to advise.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,877 Disability Gamechanger

    Your dad will need to ring the number on the letter to request the home assessment. If you're not his appointee then he'll need to ring himself, go through security questions and then you'll be able to speak on his behalf.

    A letter from his GP with the reasons why he's unable to attend will be needed but if he attends other appointments they could say that as he attends those then he can attend the assessment centre.
  • stree
    stree Member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Kelly you could get a taxi and the expenses will be paid, you will get a claim form at reception at the appointment.
    Poppy has covered the rest, a letter from the GP will (should) carry a lot of influence.
    Are you his official carer? It may be easier to represent him if you are.
    Wishing you well.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,877 Disability Gamechanger
    They won't just refund your taxi cost. You need to ask them first otherwise there's a high chance they won't refund your costs.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.