ATOS report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ATOS report

RickyMR
RickyMR Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I received my copy of the ATOS  Assessors report and I cannot believe some of the things she has said. I have had the enhanced rate for mobility and daily living for the last two years but I can see already she has been determined that I only get the standard rate for both. I think she must have thought I had some miraculous recovery over the last two years when in fact my conditions have got worse. Even my GP agrees with me. I eagerly await the DWP decision so I can immediately ask for  Mandatory Reconsideration.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @RickyMR

I am sorry to hear about the outcome. I hope the DWP decision works out in your favour. Please keep us updated.
  • RickyMR
    Thanks for that. I am expecting "their verdict" any day now. I am assuming from what I have already heard that the DWP only looks at the Assessors report and doesnt take into account all the previous evidence you have submitted with your form?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's rare for them to go against the report but it can and does happen.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RickyMR
    Yes I thought so. Its a shame because all the medical evidence I have sent supports my disabilities and so it is wrong to just accept what the Assessor says.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    RickyMR said:
    Yes I thought so. Its a shame because all the medical evidence I have sent supports my disabilities and so it is wrong to just accept what the Assessor says.
    It may well do so, but the DWP see the assessors report as being objective and accurate and that it was carried out by a professional who has been trained as a disability analyst. Compare that to what you GP may say.

I came to the conclusion that there does not appear to be any need to send in evidence pre the face to face assessment as I agree it is very rarely looked at or considered. Sometimes I also wonder why we bother to be factual at the assessment, more often that not they will write what they want in any event

• RickyMR
    I totally agree with you. I had sent copies of all ultrasound reports and Consultants reports and letters but all that seemed to have been ignored by the Assessor who incidentally said she was a Nurse. The whole assessment took one and three quarter hours and I felt brainwashed. A lot of the time she was asking me what exams I had when I left school and where I worked when left school. That was 54 years ago. as I am 70 now. Also what books  I liked to read and what DVDs I liked to watch etc etc. What has that got to do with my present disabilities. .
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger

@RickyMR …from my own assessment, and reading the posts on here, it seems to me that the assessors are trained to asked about ‘irrelevant’ stuff which can then be used as evidence of an applicants functionality. For example, if you watch a DVD or read a book:-

You probably have the dexterity/grip to get the DVD out of the case, and are able to bend to put it in the player.

You can grip a book, and have sufficient cognitive skills to be able to read it and follow the plot etc…

• RickyMR
    I see what you mean but they do not take into account that you have bad days and very bad days. I think they are trained to trick you and trap you. From what I gather and from my own experience some Assessors are very sympathetic and ask the appropriate questions and do not try and put words in your mouth. Others like my last one wasnt very pleasant or sympathetic.
  • Bungalow
    Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    I have had the same experience, there seems to be a common theme with PIP, they do base it on the day and the assessors assumptions and lets face it that is what it is and ignore medical professionals how it effects you. I had a fairly good day on mine and told her that which isn't often, but I was awarded on points what they believe is your health on the day. It is wrong and the system is broken . I was even advised to go in and pretend what I am like on a very bad day how crazy is that !!!!! 
  • RickyMR
    I know what you mean. It also depends on whether the Assessor likes you or not I think. A friend of mines husband applied for PIP and had bladder cancer amongst other medical conditions and was told by the Assessor that he wasn't ill enough yet because he "might recover" and wasn't awarded anything. His Wife appealed and by the time the DWP decided to award him the enhanced rate it was a week after he died when she got their decision, The whole system needs to be looked at again.
  • Bungalow
    edited February 2019
    That is awful Ricky , I could cry listening to some of the things people have to go through. The sad thing is you have worked all your life and paid into the system thinking when it is needed it will be there. The safety net is being pulled from us through no fault of our own and now the retirement age put forward for me six years? . I didn't ask to be disabled, a serious accident seen to that and it could happen to anyone. All of a sudden all the things you take for granted your lifestyle you health is gone and it is hard enough having to adjust to a life with limitations without all of this .

This system was created thanks to programmes of people scamming the system now its private firms that are doing it openly and innocent people are being dragged down with it. The suffering going on is appalling it is taking us back to Victorian times slowly . 

I wish I had the strength to fight my decision but I know my mental health will suffer along with my physical health. Atos and Capita have two years for improvement , to me it is just another two years where people are not getting vital financial support . It is still happening even with all the media hype they are failing along with evidence in Parliament. If you have the strength fight it . I praise all the people that fight this awful unfair system, they are fighting for the rest of us . 
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Well put Bungalow, why oh why isn't this problem being listened to and changed now!  Two years! your kidding, I wish  and people in my family wonder why ive said im not even going to bother to apply for the PIP when I get the dreaded  form in. Im so lucky im still  receiving my DLA for the time being anyways. 

• Bungalow
    It is being addressed in Parliament but the Brexit is overshadowing Benefit Reforms . It looks like Atos and Capita's contract is being renewed for another two years even though they are failing and costing more than the old system ever did? they say they need the time to bring it back in house for them to sort out their IT systems ? we will have to watch this space :smile: hopefully the system will have have been addressed sue by the time you have to transfer over. There are PIP applicants that are successful and go through without problems . I wouldn't worry until you need to .
  • Yadnad
    edited February 2019
    Bungalow said:

This system was created thanks to programmes of people scamming the system now its private firms that are doing it openly and innocent people are being dragged down with it. The suffering going on is appalling it is taking us back to Victorian times slowly . 

It wasn't created for that reason. DLA became so open to many more people than it was designed for back in 1992. Blame the courts, they were the ones that twisted the intentions of DLA. It was getting to a stage that the more courts that were making perverse decisions in allowing more claims, the cost was going through the roof. At least the government realised this for PIP. If a court tries to change the intention of PIP, the government try to step in to change the law to defeat it.
    That is why PIP is so black and white - you either fit a descriptor or you don't. 

As for bringing the assessment process back in house - be careful what you wish for.
    The last time they did that with DLA the decision making was just as bad as it is with PIP.

• Bungalow
    Is any system perfect Yadnad , It may have not been the only reason but it is clearly one of them. It is still not fit for purpose clearly . I hope they do sort it out otherwise we will have disabled people destitute. Yes it needed to be changed but this clearly is not working :smile: Everyone is entitled to an opinion I stated mine without getting too political.
  • Yadnad
    Bungalow said:
    Is any system perfect Yadnad , It may have not been the only reason but it is clearly one of them. It is still not fit for purpose clearly . I hope they do sort it out otherwise we will have disabled people destitute. Yes it needed to be changed but this clearly is not working :smile: Everyone is entitled to an opinion I stated mine without getting too political.
    I honestly believe that in order to pacify everybody who is or who thinks they are disabled the government should go back to the self assessed basis. The claimant is the only person who knows what their limitations are in life.

The only trouble with that will be the huge rise in the amount of money being paid out but set against that there will be the savings of very few appeals to be heard and the cost of assessing with be ZERO as you will assess yourself.,  
  • Bungalow
    I think you are getting far too political look at the 1st entry from Ricky . It is about how the assessments are conducted and their is strong evidence in parliament to substantiate this . 68% of appeals are being overturned , that is a system that is clearly not working at assessment level. I wouldn't even know how to start making a system fairer . That is why we have politicians :smiley: we could go on all night politics without a glass of wine would be unbearable . You have your voice I have mine lets agree to disagree and go back to the issue at hand for you to have an input with Rick which is more important than our beliefs in a politics arena . Thank you for your input I will certainly take on board your comments :wink:
  • RickyMR
    Wow. I certainly seem to have started a big debate. It is a big comfort to get so much input from people who understand and are so sympathetic and passionate. I big thanks to everyone. : :)
  • Yadnad
    Bungalow said:
    I think you are getting far too political look at the 1st entry from Ricky . It is about how the assessments are conducted and their is strong evidence in parliament to substantiate this . 68% of appeals are being overturned , that is a system that is clearly not working at assessment level. I wouldn't even know how to start making a system fairer . That is why we have politicians :smiley: we could go on all night politics without a glass of wine would be unbearable . You have your voice I have mine lets agree to disagree and go back to the issue at hand for you to have an input with Rick which is more important than our beliefs in a politics arena . Thank you for your input I will certainly take on board your comments :wink:
    Let me put what you say into perspective. The vast majority of PIP claimants are awarded the correct level first time. Only a very small percentage fail. Of those not all go through the appeal process. Those that do go through the appeal process, even a smaller percentage, approx. 7% win if they don't appear in person, less that 50% win if they don't have professional representation and approx. 70% win if they have professional support.

All in all by comparison to the total number of PIP claimants only a very small percentage win at a Tribunal. 
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    The whole system is corrupt, it has no bearing on reality at all. If you can walk 200m on level ground, in their language, that's means you are fit for work. If you watch TV, that means you have good concentration. If you make a cup of tea, that means you have good coordination. When you sit in front of the assessor and then get up from the chair to leave, that means you joints are good. Breathing by yourself will get you 0 points these days, that's how bad it is.

The next time I have to see one of those scam WCA nurses, I will simply say "don't know" or "I am not sure" and "can't remember" to every stupid question. Because it is no good telling them you can walk 200m unless you know of a job that pays you to walk 200m, or a job that pays you to sit in a chair doing nothing. None of this has anything to do with the real world we live in and when they deny benefits for those reasons, it proves the WCA is fundamentally flawed and should be scrapped immediately. 

Unless of course they are saying, the NHS is not fit for purpose, then we need to scrap the NHS and use Maximus who will cure us all by asking stupid questions and awarding 0 points, then I can join the army or the air force as I have been declared 100% fit by a nurse. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.