What do you expect from a home assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you expect from a home assessment?

cara
cara Community member Posts: 21 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi folks,
Does anyone know what to expect at a home assessment?. Do they go round your home etc
Many thanks
Eleanor

Comments

• Gary01522
    Gary01522 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Not in my case the Guy kept going on about how short of time he was, and we needed to hurry on he seemed disinterested in my answers. saying we are not interested in your condition or this or that. can you put your hands behind your back, sending my wife on a fools errand so he could put down i was capable of holding a conversation, hardly yes and nos are not a conversation.He did ask where my crutches where. next to me? they were at the side of my settee
  • cara
    Many thanks Gary I've noted getting your wife out i will make sure my husband stays. Wish you all.the best with your claim
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    My son had a home assessment no she came into the livingroom asked the questions all of which I answered as am his appointee only asked him one question. I had all I knew she would want to see ready then she was gone 
  • cara
    Many thanks firefly.just not sure what to expect.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    This was our first home vist so I understand who nerve racking it feels. Ours went well and the report was pretty awurate good luck 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have a home visit, the assessor is just the same as any visitor , they do not have the right to look around your home.

If possible have a companion with you

Keep to your normal routine. If at the appointed time you are normaly still in bed or not dressed, then, if you are comfortable, there is no reason to alter that.

You decide which room the assessment takes place in
    Assessors may arrive early or late so be ready. Have your ID and medication list to hand.

The assessor will be observing everything you do from the start, how you sit, stand, walk, handle items such as bags and coats.

Don't expect them to answer many questions, they have an agenda and will want to stick to it.

If you have a companion they can take notes.
    Good luck

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cara
    Cooney rebel many thanks. I have had DO A doctor's out but these people are a figment lot
    Eleamor

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.