PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

Strange PIP renewal

SystemSystem Posts: 508 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is ShakeyRed!.

Replies

• ShakeyRedShakeyRed Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi @thespiceman , thank you for the welcome.

I have been looking for a post on this, I apologise if it's a bit long winded, but here goes.....

I am in receipt of PIP, lower rate daily living only, which was awarded on 21 December 2016 on appeal and, backdated to 20 June 2016 This was initially a a two year award.
    Last year some strange things started happening. First of all there was no contact from DWP to start my renewal, something which would normally happen some three or four months before my award was due to end. So by the end of March 2018 I contacted DWP who said they were just delayed and not to worry. Then in May 2018, I had a visit from DWP who wanted to review my claim and most importantly wanted to focus on what I hadn't been successful in scoring points for. This was mainly the metal health elements.

As my award end was fast approaching and not hearing any outcome of the review, I again contacted DWP regarding my renewal. I was then told that I wouldn't be contacted for a number of years as I was on an Indefinite award. Strange, but in fairness my payments have continued well passed the awrd date.

October last year I had CAPITA appointment made for a home visit. CAPITA cancelled an hour before the assessment. There were further appointments made but this time to travel 40 miles which, due to my condition, I couldn't do. I sent a letter from my GP explaining my conditions and requesting a home visit.

Now, last month DWP sent a letter, dated 21 December 2018, saying that my money was suspended as I didn't provide a good enough reason for not attending the assessment. I contacted DWP several times over a fortnight as I had sent the GP's letter by recorded delivery on 10 November 2018 and, for DWP, quickly reinstated my account.

So this week I received a letter from my local council saying that as I hadn't informed them of my increase in income they had no choice but to request me to repay the benefit overpayment from 28 December 2018 - I hadn't had an increase in income as far as I was aware. Two days latter I had a letter from HMRC regarding working tax which NOW includes a severe dissability element (the increase the council had stated)

So the advise I'm looking for is regarding the December 2017 High Court ruling against the government, which is being backdated to November 2016, which, I think, found the government had discriminated against claiments with mental health issues. Could the changes to my claim be due to that or am I putting two and two together to make five?

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ShakeyRed   Thank you for your benefit enquiry and question.

I am unsure of an answer. I know we have members of our team who  will be able to answer your question.  They might be in touch in due course.

Have you spoken to your local CAB office for advice. They have expertise and knowledge something to consider.

Hope that helps you. 

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ShakeyRedShakeyRed Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi @thespiceman thanks for getting back to me.

I've used CAB on a number of occasions and they have always been superb help.
    I didn't want to go and waste their time, to be honest, or take time away from someone who needs more help than me.
    I'm not in a serious need for help, but I was looking to see if anyone had any experience of this court ruling.
Sign in or join us to comment.