Should I contact the DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I contact the DWP

spritz
spritz Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hello, I currently receive high rate care on pip due to severe mental health problems but do not receive the mobility.
I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm really struggling and have been for a long time ( approx 7 yrs).
So the question is, is it worth me telling the DWP or will it make no difference to my claim. Kind regards.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There are two catagories for PIP mobility activities. Have a look at the descriptors to see if you meet the criteria
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • spritz
  • CockneyRebel
    If  you then think you fulfill the criteria you should get trained advice from CAB, Welfare rights or similar. Nobody on an online forum can tell you whether you should qualify as each case is different
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, by contacting DWP you will, could start a new claim as it would be classed as a change of circumstances.
  • spritz
    I'm really no good with forms etc.
    I lost my case for pips before but with frameworks help I took them to court and won.
    My PIP will run out again in Jan 2020.
  • CockneyRebel
    Have a look at your decision letter. All pip reviews are carried out early. Normally this is a year in advance of the end date but in many cases when a tribunal decision has been reached this shortens to 14 weeks which is barely time to submit a claim with no break. You should take advice on this also
  • djbantiques
    djbantiques Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    ilovecats said:
    spritz said:
    Hello, I currently receive high rate care on pip due to severe mental health problems but do not receive the mobility.
    I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm really struggling and have been for a long time ( approx 7 yrs).
    So the question is, is it worth me telling the DWP or will it make no difference to my claim. Kind regards.

Honestly, no. It’s not worth it unless you honestly and truly cannot walk.

Its very difficult for people who suffer with Fibromyalgia to score in mobility.

You run the risk of having your current award altered sooner than it would have been. Focus on obtaining the help you need from the doctor and get rheumatology support and then when the time comes for a review you will be prepared.
    Why is it difficult for Fibromyalgia sufferers to score in the mobility section ?
  • spritz
    I get no help. I went to a pain clinic but it was a waste of time if I'm honest.
    Tryed Gabapentin and pregabalin with no luck.
    Currently get no help with my mental illness either.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Any new diagnosis of more health problems should be notified to the DWP, this can only help your case in future WCA.

Although I am not sure what would happen for failing to notify the DWP when you have a new health condition. Has anyone ever been in this situation?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Any new diagnosis of more health problems should be notified to the DWP, this can only help your case in future WCA.

Although I am not sure what would happen for failing to notify the DWP when you have a new health condition. Has anyone ever been in this situation?
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. The change of circumstances rule is a little misleading at times.

You don't have a work capability assessment for PIP because it's not about working.

If you have a change of circumstances that mean it can affect the amount of benefits you're entitled to then yes you need to report those changes. However, with a diagnosis, it doesn't mean you'll score more points for a higher award. Pointless reporting changes in these circumstances. DWP are not going to charge you with fraud for not reporting a diagnosis.

It would be exactly the same if someone changed there medication, would they be expected to ring to report those changes? Of course not, if every single person did this then it would be ridiculous.

If your condition has improved against the PIP descriptors and where you scored those points this is different and needs to be reported.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • spritz
    I've in bed for 3 days now on and off. Paracetamol,ibuprofen and tramadol haven't helped.
    Sat here now with tears streaming down my face with pain. I'm so fed up.
  • spritz
    I can walk 200 metres if called for but it would be agony at the mo. It changes.
    The past few days have been crippling.
  • bongo
    bongo Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    spritz said:
    hi pips is not means tested so pips payments wont interfere with any other payments you may receive, hope this helps ,bongo 
  • Benistmonk
    AIUI the PIP assessment is more or less the same as the WCA and the more health conditions you have on record can only help your claim, and you can either win or lose based on the amount of points you score.
  • spritz
    I already have 4 points on mobility due to mental health.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest I have no idea. But my case is not about notifying a new condition (more impact) it relates to not telling the DWP/PIP of a long standing health condition (mental) because I believe that they just won't believe me that I even have one. No longer seeing a Consultant as was moved back to the GP for medication. I wasn't discharged by the Consultant I just stopped going.
    The assessor came to the conclusion in my first of the three assessments for PIP that despite the evidence submitted they found 14 reasons why I don't have any mental health issues. Obviously and the answer will be the same as for you - you won't qualify for any points if you don't make a claim for it - so in your case the DWP will not be interested if you don't tell them - they will possibly save money.
  • Benistmonk
    That is a very good way of putting Yadnad, I am sure the DWP will be delighted if you do not inform them about your latest health conditions and score you 0 points right across the board on the basis you have not been in treatment for x amount of years.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    That is a very good way of putting Yadnad, I am sure the DWP will be delighted if you do not inform them about your latest health conditions and score you 0 points right across the board on the basis you have not been in treatment for x amount of years.
    It's not latest - I had an acquired brain injury and suffer from PTSD back in 1995.I was receiving DLA from 1995 - High Care mainly for mental health reasons and High Mobility for a damaged back and spine.

I started with PIP in 2013 - just after my 65th birthday.

I dropped out of the CMH service back in 2002 and decided that alcohol was a better substitute. Despite the DWP (another part of it - Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit) giving me a 40% award for loss of mental function for life, the PIP assessors decided in 2013 that they knew better and gave 14 reasons why I do not have any loss of impact relating to mental health issues.

There is no arguing with the assessors and the DWP (PIP) over that despite me sending them a copy of the IIDB assessment report - they just ignored it. 

It didn't really matter in any event without the mental health issue and it's impact - I was awarded more than 12 points for other descriptors to give me Enhanced Care & Mobility both for the 2013 and 2015 MR applications. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.