Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition Question

Gerald
Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
Just Question about Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy with a aid to help you keep up with your medication and bloods if you are diabetic to stop you from forgetting is the aid to stop you from forgetting Managing therapy medication or monitoring a health condition count as help if you use an aid or appliance Thank for the help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    For this you may score 1 point for managing medication for either using an aid or needing supervision, prompting or assistance. You won't score any higher in this descriptor.

Therapy is a non-pharmaceutical treatment i.e. treatments which do not involve the use of medicinal drugs. Examples of therapy include physiotherapy and home dialysis. Whilst medications and therapies do not necessarily have to be prescribed, there must be a consensus of medical opinion that supports their use in treatment of the condition, hence the necessity for it at least to be recommended for the claimant by a registered health professional or pharmacist. Therapy does not include taking or a pplying, or otherwise receiving or administering, medication (whether orally, topically or by any other means), or any action which, in the claimant’s case, falls within the definition of ‘monitor a health condition’.

You won't score higher than this being a diabetic because it's not classed as therapy for this descriptor.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gerald
    For this you may score 1 point for managing medication for either using an aid or needing supervision, prompting or assistance. You won't score any higher in this descriptor.

Therapy is a non-pharmaceutical treatment i.e. treatments which do not involve the use of medicinal drugs. Examples of therapy include physiotherapy and home dialysis. Whilst medications and therapies do not necessarily have to be prescribed, there must be a consensus of medical opinion that supports their use in treatment of the condition, hence the necessity for it at least to be recommended for the claimant by a registered health professional or pharmacist. Therapy does not include taking or a pplying, or otherwise receiving or administering, medication (whether orally, topically or by any other means), or any action which, in the claimant’s case, falls within the definition of ‘monitor a health condition’.

You won't score higher than this being a diabetic because it's not classed as therapy for this descriptor.
    Hi thanks for that poppy123456 how about if you are on a  antidepressant for severe depression and long-term anxiety and a side effect with this is memory problems forgetting medication for use in treatment of the condition hence the necessity for a aid to help remind you 
  • poppy123456
    It's 1 point for an aid but it will depend what the aid is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gerald
    Thanks the type of aid is one that lets you know its time your medication for use in treatment for your condition so that you do not forget or take to much medication at the wrong time so you keep to a set time for the treatment and condition 
  • samantha21
    samantha21 Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Hi, Just a question about managing therapy monitoring a health condition. I hope someone can give me an answer. Due to having problems with medications  some of it does not agree with me and I will be ill all day if I take it. I was given on loan from physiotherapists a T.E.N.s unit I expect some of you will know what it is, if not just ask me. I use this on back pain maybe twice a day 5 to 6 times a week would this be classed as managing therapy? thank-you for replies.
  • poppy123456
    Hi, Just a question about managing therapy monitoring a health condition. I hope someone can give me an answer. Due to having problems with medications  some of it does not agree with me and I will be ill all day if I take it. I was given on loan from physiotherapists a T.E.N.s unit I expect some of you will know what it is, if not just ask me. I use this on back pain maybe twice a day 5 to 6 times a week would this be classed as managing therapy? thank-you for replies.
    It's not classed as therapy.
  • poppy123456
    Gerald said:
    Thanks the type of aid is one that lets you know its time your medication for use in treatment for your condition so that you do not forget or take to much medication at the wrong time so you keep to a set time for the treatment and condition 
    You mean an alarm clock?
  • Gerald
    Know not a alarm clock a aid that is set up to let you know different times of the day and the week to let you know  its time to take your medication and let you know its time to do your bloods so as not to have problems with you Diabetes to ensure your blood glucose levels stay balanced so as to stop loss of feeling and pain (nerve damage) and if you a heart disease like angina which Most people with angina need to take several medicines to keep on top to stop you from having a heart attack or reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
  • samantha21
    Hi Poppy, in one of your posts you put physiotherapy and home dialysis as one of your answers to managing therapy, so if the physiotherapist comes to my home and I have some physio and then the T.E.N.s unit is that not managing a therapy?  What about managing blood pressure readings on a weekly basis at the G.P.s surgery my blood pressure was far too high for three months and had to be monitored. Medication for that was in dossette box and I sometimes forgot to take it and my daughter had to prompt me every morning to remember. Surely some of this counts under monitoring a condition.
  • poppy123456
    Gerald said:
    Know not a alarm clock a aid that is set up to let you know different times of the day and the week to let you know  its time to take your medication and let you know its time to do your bloods so as not to have problems with you Diabetes to ensure your blood glucose levels stay balanced so as to stop loss of feeling and pain (nerve damage) and if you a heart disease like angina which Most people with angina need to take several medicines to keep on top to stop you from having a heart attack or reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
    The most you will score here is 1 point as previously advised.
  • poppy123456
    Hi Poppy, in one of your posts you put physiotherapy and home dialysis as one of your answers to managing therapy, so if the physiotherapist comes to my home and I have some physio and then the T.E.N.s unit is that not managing a therapy?  What about managing blood pressure readings on a weekly basis at the G.P.s surgery my blood pressure was far too high for three months and had to be monitored. Medication for that was in dossette box and I sometimes forgot to take it and my daughter had to prompt me every morning to remember. Surely some of this counts under monitoring a condition.
    In your previous comment you mentioned the T.E.N.s machine, you didn't mention a physiotherapist comes to your home. If this is correct and it's done in your own home (not an outside appointment) then 2 points is possible if it's for no longer than 3.5 hours per week.

Blood pressure readings at your GP surgery will not score you any points.

You can only score once for each descriptor. If you go out to the physio appointment then 1 point could be scored for needing prompting/using an aid for medication.
  • Gerald
    Thanks for that poppy123456
  • samantha21
    What about engaging with others face to face. In the assessment the assessor asked me Do you see your neighbours and do you speak to them every day ? I did not know what she was really talking about just thought she was being a bit strange. I replied to her that I never really see the neighbours I never speak to them have nothing to do with them and keep myself to myself. I did not go into the full story that some of them had been reported for anti-social behaviour and one was going to get evicted if they kept disturbing people so hence I never even bother with anyone where I live.   In the descriptor for engaging face to face the assessor has written the claimant tells me she says hello to all her neighbours and so that means she can speak to others face to face. In the space of not even knowing me she has me talking to neighbours that I never make any eye contact with communicate with or have any other kind of neighbour association with and the decision maker word for word quotes her and says I can communicate face to face with people. If that is what this form filling and everything else is all about then how on earth do we stand a chance?.
  • samantha21
     Hi to Poppy thankyou for the answer to the question managing therapy very helpful.  I forgot to say in my post above what do you think of that question on descriptor for engaging face to face. Any advice much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Engaging face to face. Do you go out shopping alone, do you go to your appointments alone and engage with others?  Are you able to make a conversation with other people without the need for support from another person?

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to engage with other people, which means to interact face-to-face in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, understand body language and establish relationships.

An inability to engage face-to-face must be due to the impact of impairment and not simply a matter of preference by the claimant.

• poppy123456
    Keeping yourself to yourself is not enough to score any points in this descriptor. Lots of people don't speak to neighbours because of this very reason. It means you're choosing not to speak to them.
  • samantha21
    Hi Poppy, Thank-you for getting back to me in regard of the face to face interacting with other people. In answer to your question about going out shopping and going to appointments and how I manage. In the PIP forms I told them that because of anxiety and depression I could not go to supermarket alone as I would get overwhelmed. I told them that my brother comes to my home twice a week we do a shopping list and he comes with me to shops also on occasions he just calls by and makes sure I am okay. I do not have a social life because of social anxiety, I went to the cinema with my daughter and the grand-children over 2 years ago everything was so loud and my daughter had to get me home, I would not go again. This is the very reason I have been having C.B.T. through the mental health services.  The point I am making is I never got asked any of that the H.CP. came out with the question about the neighbours who I do not have anything to do with so the HCP in effect could not get an answer to something she did not even ask me about, and to just write talks to neighbours every day cannot and should not be used as my ability to communicate face to face. Still thanks for the reply.
  • poppy123456
    When you went to the assessment did you go alone or take someone with you? Did you answer all the questions? During an assessment the HCP will be observing you to see what you do and how you would have answered those questions. They would have most likely been having a general conversation with you at some point and that's how they make they observations.

What you described above sounds more like planning and following a journey.

The physio you have, was it a medical professional that recommended you have that?

This link may help you have some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

• samantha21
    Hi Poppy, thank-you for replying.  I went to the assessment alone and explained that my daughter was on a training day at her employment and could not have time off. The centre was only 10 minutes away from my home

by taxi and I was familiar with that area. I told them my daughter had arranged the taxi and had prompted me to be dressed and ready and phoned me just before the taxi arrived to make sure I knew I had my appointment.

Just as they observe so do I, I wonder if anyone else has had the experience of arriving on time for their appointment mine was 10.30 am and I was the only one in the reception waiting room all the time I was not called in for my appointment until 11.25 am. I had asked the reception twice what was happening as I left the house without morning breakfast and also no shower as mornings  are difficult for me and everything is done at a slow pace. 

In answer to your question about the physio all the treatment for my conditions are under the N.H.S. so yes physios and clinicians I have are all N.H.S.

Last week I went to see a private physio (my brother paid for that) as just over two weeks ago I fell heavily outside
    ,I attended A@E and the leg is not broken but I have smashed my knee. After two  weeks sitting in the chair most of the time with pain killers and ice packs on swollen injury I needed to get moving around a bit, so the hospital physio for the knee injury will take about a month to come through hence I got some private treatment to at least get me moving around again. Falls also went on my pip form in mobility descriptor although the HCP was of the opinion that everyday  I could safely walk 200 metres. Considering that I was on lifetime DLA for those problems which was backed up by consultant evidence that my condition is progressive and will not be cured I wonder
    where they come up with their findings. I am not being rude to you Poppy as you do give good advice but these HCPs  would not know descriptors if they jumped up and bit them and that is not being offensive to you only to them.
    thank-you anyway.

Yes I am aware it is not the diagnosis it is how you are affected in daily life but apart from having no pulse and not breathing what more do these people want?.
  • poppy123456
    PIP and DLA are different benefits. Having some understanding of what the descriptors mean will also help. That link will help, even though it's long but it will give you more understanding of what the descriptors mean. You can't score the points if the descriptor doesn't apply.

If on your PIP form you said you don't go out alone and you attended the assessment alone then that will have gone against you.

When you're waiting to be called in for your assessment, even though there was no one in the waiting room, it's totally possible that the HCP you were seeing was either seeing someone else which took longer than expected or they could have been writing up the assessment report for the previous person they seen. I'm only guessing here but it's the same sort of thing when you go and see a GP or any other appointment, you don't always go in on time even though there maybe no one else waiting. I know this has happened to me many many times.

For you physio, remember it has to take place in your own home. If you go outside for the appointment it doesn't count and you won't score points for this.

Anyway, good luck with the MR and Tribunal if you get that far. Appearing in person at a Tribunal hearing will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

Brightness