Will backdated payment be taken from my universal credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will backdated payment be taken from my universal credit?

maiden
maiden Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited February 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi im currently on universal credit and claiming carers allowance which will be back dated 3 months. Will the back dated payment be taken from my universal credit?

Comments

• JCC
    JCC Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Hello Maiden, welcome.

I am unable to help you with this question but one of the knowledgeable benefits advisors will be able to give you more help.   Best wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    maiden said:
    Hi im currently on universal credit and claiming carers allowance which will be back dated 3 months. Will the back dated payment be taken from my universal credit?
    Hi,

Yes, the carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments, including the back dated payments. This is because you can't be paid it twice. You need to make sure they add the carers element of £156 per month.

When claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance. You can claim the carers element of UC if the other criteria apply. The only advantage to claiming the carers allowance is it pays class 1 National insurance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maiden
    UC said if I got carers element my payments would just stay the same and I should still apply for carers allowance
  • poppy123456
    This is not correct. The carers allowance is £279 per month and this will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. Carers allowance will then pay you. You will then have the carers element of UC added to your claim, which is £156 per month. This means you'll be £156 per month better off. Exactly the same if you didn't claim carers allowance. As advised, the only advantage to claiming the carers allowance is it will pay class 1 NI. There's no other benefits to claiming it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maiden
    Sorry so u should report a change to UC that I'm now caring for my mother and forget my cares allowance claim
  • poppy123456
    Yes, providing your mother is claiming a qualifying benefit, Mid/high rate care DLA, PIP daily living or attendance allowance.

This link will confirm my advice is correct.

Also you need to check what benefits your mother is claiming. If she lives alone it's possible that should could be claiming the severe disability premium (SDP)  of £64.30 per week. If you claim either carers allowance or the carer element then she will lose the SDP.

• poppy123456
    May i also ask if you're claiming the limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) element for yourself in your UC?
  • maiden
    She is on high rate DLA. HOPEFULLY UC do award re element automatically after I notify them. Thank you
  • maiden
    I am on limited capability for work and should I backdate care element claim thru UC 
  • maiden
    I don't need to do work search for mental health reasons
  • poppy123456
    maiden said:
    I am on limited capability for work and should I backdate care element claim thru UC 
    Are you receiving the extra £328 per month for this? which is LCWRA? if it's this you're receiving then you won't be able to claim the carers element and the LCWRA at the same time because they don't pay both elements together.
  • poppy123456
  • maiden
    No I'm on 317 a moth standard UC as I'm on a back to work scheme
  • poppy123456
    I'm going to advise that you speak to a local advice agency near you before claiming either the carers allowance or the carers element.

If your mum is claiming the SDP on top of an existing benefit like pension credit or ESA then she will lose this premium if you claim either of those benefits and this could lose her a lot of money each month.

This link will help you find what's in your area for face to face advice. Your mum will also need to get some advice too, so they can check exactly what benefits she's claiming. https://advicelocal.uk/

• maiden
    She doesn't get pension credit I checked that
  • poppy123456
    Does she live alone?
  • maiden
    I'm there and so is my dad. He doesn't receive pension credit either and he is on higher rate dla and mobility
  • maiden
    My UC is under evaluation iv to fill in a uc50 form if that's the same as a esa50 form
  • poppy123456
    It's the same thing. Please get further advice from your local CAB/welfare rights about the carers element of UC.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.