using direct payment for respite — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

using direct payment for respite

Options
CommunityConnections
CommunityConnections Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi All

I wandered if any of you could give me some examples of creative ways you have used a DP or PB to access respite, other than in a traditional care setting. I am wanting to use my carers budget to book a weekend away as a break, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @CommunityConnections

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to share their thoughts on this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly you need to check that you can use your DP for this. There's rules about what you can and can't use the DP for.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CommunityConnections
    CommunityConnections Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy

Thanks for the info, can you tell me where i would find these rules as when i google it nothing comes up other than it depends whet you have been assessed for.....which just says respite. 

Maybe i am not googling the correct wording so that is why its coming up blank?? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your personal budget includes respite then you can use it for this purpose, otherwise you can't use it. My daughter receives a personal budget through direct payments and has extra on top for respite. The respite can be used for her and her support worker to go on weekends away up to the maximum of the respite allowance given to give me a break.

You answered your own question here... " it depends what you've been assessed for and what it states in your care plan" My advice is don't use that for respite without first contacting your social worker or local council to check what exactly you can use the DP for. If you use it for respite and it's not in the care plan then you'll end up owing your local council money. Usually a PB can't be spent on respite "holidays" unless your personal allowance states extra money for respite.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.