Stress, chronic pain and shoulder surgery! (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stress, chronic pain and shoulder surgery! (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome)

ClaireSaul
ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
edited February 2019 in Cerebral palsy
Hi all,

I have had to take some down time from being a pain advisor recently due to mental health issues in a teen son at uni, stress causing an increase in my own symptoms from chronic pain and Ehlers Danlos syndrome, and me feeling unable to chat effectively with you all!

Life is returning to a status quo - you all know how the highs and lows go of living with chronic illness and pain -  but I am having to start thinking about shoulder surgery for my nearly constantly dislocated right shoulder and the horrendous pain. Yes, i am right handed!  Really I need a should replacement for the arthritis, but my surgeon says this is not possible due to the EDS and dislocations......so we are thinking reverse shoulder replacement or complete shoulder fusion.
I wonder if anyone out there has had either of these - particularly if you have a connective tissue disorder?
Claire Saul
Chronic Pain Advisor
Scope
helpline@scope.org.uk
scope.org.uk

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ClaireSaul
    Im sorry to hear you have been having a tough time but it is good to see you! Thinking of you :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking of you, @ClaireSaul

I've been having a look around to see if any of our members have discussed shoulder replacement/fusions in the past but no joy. However, maybe somebody will come forwards after seeing this. Please do keep us updated, and thanks as always for all you do. I hope today is as kind as possible to you! 
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Thinking of you, @ClaireSaul

I've been having a look around to see if any of our members have discussed shoulder replacement/fusions in the past but no joy. However, maybe somebody will come forwards after seeing this. Please do keep us updated, and thanks as always for all you do. I hope today is as kind as possible to you! 
    Hi @Pippa_Scope - have had a horrible week with this wretched shoulder!!  It wouldn't be quite so bad if I wasn't so right handed - it is of course my right shoulder!  It has now been out over a week and each time it goes back, a movement, cough or sneeze causes it to literally drop out!!  So not been typing much......
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk

Brightness