PIP appeal. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal.

Emz1990
Emz1990 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have just found out my PIP assessment was unsuccessful and I am going to appeal but my question is do you still get payments while you are in the appeal process?

Comments

• dimpaler44
    dimpaler44 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sorry to say I don't believe so but if you win your appeal is back dated 
  • Emz1990
    Thank you for letting me know 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome, @Emz1990! Best of luck with your appeal, you may like to check out this advice on appealing a DWP decision.
  • Emz1990
    Thank you PippaScope any infirmation about appealing it will be a great help
  • iangreg
    iangreg Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi emz1990. I myself have had my pip stopped and started the appeal process. Sorry but I don’t believe you get payments during your appeal. I sometimes wonder does anyone in the dwp actually care what happens to people who without any warning have their pip denied. 
    I was a nurse for many years before I became ill. I actually loved my job and genuinely cared and worried about my patients and their families. 
    The way I have been treated and spoken to by many people at the dwp, I know that not many people there care much about anyone. I was surprised how poorly I have been treated by them. I hope you have a better experience dealing with them. Take care. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Emz1990,

My award after my f2f was reduced from enhanced to standard, I appealed that decision.
    I still received the standard payments throughout.
    I won the appeal and now waiting on the DWP to put the payments back to what they were.

I hope that helps
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    @Emz1990

If you have received no award so far, then you get no payments while you appeal.  If you have already received some award then the payments continue while you appeal.
  • keren1981
    keren1981 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi I had my pip face to face and I'm awaiting a decision. I asked for a copie of my assessment report and it arrived last week. The lady who did the face to face didn't ask me anything about my anxiety or how it effects me. She left lots of things out of the report that would have awarded me more points. She stated I can only eat with one hand yet gave me nothing for needing help to cut up my food or for my husband filling my pill box and setting the alarm on it. She did ask if I could use one hand to support the packet and use the other hand to pop out the pill but did not add that I don't do this due to having kids and pets and that when they pop out I can't hunt for them and that last year due to this happening my dog eat my diazapam and was off her head so since then we have to be very careful and now use the tab 8 box that my husband fills. Going by the point she gave from missing out points on care and the not leaving the house unless bad to and always accompanied at home or out it means standard rate care and mobility with a blue badge which is good altho I should be happy I feel that she left so much out and ready her report I don't feel that she listened at all and just dine her own thing. So I called the dwp and they said that a decision was not in yet so I told them I read about the mandatory reconsideration and he said I had to wait for a decision b4 I could do this so I asked if he could talk to my daughter and put notes on the computer. He took noted from my daughter who told him the points that I was given and then what we feel it should have been and the reasons why. The dwp man said it's all on the system as urgent notes so just have to wait and see if they read them or take them in to reconsideration. If not I think I will do the mandatory reconsideration and then appeal if I need to.. these people who do the face to face need to listen to us and not think they no best and ignore what we say my anxiety to me is in some ways worse then my post stroke pain syndrome and my left side weakness as I always feel like I'm going crazy and can't face each day and impacts my daily life so badly so to have it completely dismissed is so unfair. They lady also stated I wasn't anxious and looked good and not over weight when in fact I got the letter date for pip 6 days b4 the appointment so I bearly slept in those 6 days as I was so anxious and it made me feel so unwell with all the stress. The appointment was at 9am so I don't see how good I could have looked when I hadn't had time to wash or even brush my hair as I have 7 Kids who 5 of them had to get ready for school so there x was no time for me to use the bathroom as I need help as do the kids. My gp told me I've put on 3 to 4 stone and I'm over weight all since my stroke one not being mobile. She says I can't use my left hand much other due to the weakness tests and eat with my right hand then she completely lied saying I help cook the meals chopping and peeling veg.. there's no way I can do this she was told that my husband sometimes gets me to sit in my stool in the kitchen to stir a pot while he sorts the kids or to put a pizza in the pizza oven all of which is rare.. I wish I had recorded the face to face as the lady was nice and seemed like she was listening and taking it all in but when u read the report you would think she was talking about someone els... x
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi keren

Unfortunately yours is a familiar tale on the forums

Have a look at the B&W self test to get an idea about the points, descriptors and criteria

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is lots of good info on here about appeals

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Emz1990
    Thanks everyone for your advice i am currently at early stages of tribunal and recently found out I will get a welfare supplementary payment until the tribunal decision is made
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
     This is crazy. I have a mental health condition. And I recently had a PIP assessment, she said this will only take 20 minutes. She was asking me about the things I can do,. But the problem is, she is dressed up like a health professional in this room with the table they have and doctors rooms. So you’re under this impression  that she is there to help you. But, I honestly felt pressured into saying that I can do more than I can. For example, when she asked me about cooking, which I never do, my friend across the road does it. Because everytime I do I leave something on or I burn myself. Anyway, I said yes I can cook pasta. When she kept pressing me. And then when I said the truth which is that I don’t really do that though, because I would leave something on or forget that I’m doing it. She looked angry with me and gave his little cross side. Which made me feel really weird. So, I just felt pressured into telling her what she wanted me to say.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Many assessors just want to find excuses to award as few points as possible.  They work for the DWP who want to cut the benefits bill.  Don't let assessors put words into your mouth.
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    Yes  I am aware of that, but because of the way she was talking to me, and getting angry or cross when I didn’t say what she wanted me to, I didn’t get the chance to really say. She would just listen to the first answer I gave which is what I thought she wanted to hear and then I would realise what I was doing, and then tell the truth and then she would get angry with me.  It’s so false. She started off by trying to make me feel positive, and then when I would pause as well because I knew that what I was saying wasn’t accurate, because I was saying what she wanted, she would prompt me and say things like so would you say that you have 5050% good and bad days, and I was thinking no not at all, I never have a good day. And then she said Okay then would you say that you have five days a week good and two days bad? And questions like this. And then she said what kind of percentage would it be. It was really confusing. So eventually I said I have about 95% bad days. But the truth is, I have nightmares in the day, and all the time all evening. She was quite happily going to suggest to me would you say you have five good days and two bad days? And waiting for Me to answer that as a yes,. She tried it several times in different ways. Well I was thinking in my head, no I never have a good day, she kept asking me different options like would you say you have 50-50.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.