No idea if i will work again — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No idea if i will work again

Brownevo
Brownevo Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi there,

I have been registered disabled since 2013.  Since having 3 major back surgeries I can no longer do my job and am leaving my current employer after 21 years.  This is a major change for me as I am only 44 and have no idea if I will work again. 

Comments

• Brownevo
    edited February 2019
    Hi there,

I am registered disabled since 2013.  After having 3 major back surgeries, I have just had to leave my former employer where I worked for 21 years due to ill health.  This is a massive change for me as I am only 44.  
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    edited March 2019

Hi @Brownevo,

It must be a  very difficult adjustment after such a long  time in a job.

Many of our members will be able to offer you advice and support. in our  Work and carer section

Do you have any specific questions we can help with?

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Brownevo

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members will understand how you feel, with this employment change and will be able to support you. You may find our work and careers section useful and please feel free to join our employment and  Disabled people discussions.

If you have any questions, please let us know
  • Brownevo

Hi @Brownevo,

It must be a  very difficult adjustment after such a long  time in a job.

Many of our members will be able to offer you advice and support. in our  Work and carer section

Do you have any specific questions we can help with?

No I’m good.  Just adjusting to my new life ?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Adjustment and acceptance are key to moving on. When I had to leave my employer I was lost for a while but I decided that I wasn't disabled, I am just not able to do all the things I used to do. I have done manual work most of my life but now the brain must take the strain

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello@ Brownevo, a big welcome you will get, receive a lot of help advice and opinions from cumunity members. Being unemployable may be your only option but not knowing your disability or illnesses you may find employment that you can do albeit partime. Myself working on the land farming having had spinal decompression surgery at the age of 60 an recovering fine then a decline and after being diagnosed with MS I knew I would never return to farming or any full time work. It has been hard but living on benefits having to get about on mobility scooters but still able to drive is a bonus. It’s the things others take for granted, dressing, carrying things, gardening, washing the car ect. You will learn to do new things once you get to know your capabilities and new interests and hobbies are tried. Don’t rush into things time is on our side we don’t need to hurry, stop and talk enjoy the views the things and people you took for granted in your working life.
  • Brownevo
    Welcome to the community @Brownevo

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members will understand how you feel, with this employment change and will be able to support you. You may find our work and careers section useful and please feel free to join our employment and  Disabled people discussions.

If you have any questions, please let us know
    Thank you 

Brightness