PIP called me and want to hand deliver a letter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP called me and want to hand deliver a letter?

mcgregor28
mcgregor28 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there all & thanx in advance for all being here as ive found it a great source of information.

Ok so this is what happened....

i was called from a private number by someone who said they are from the dwp & they were calling my regarding pip, i thought that sounded normal as i recently did a MR an have been waiting for a reply, he went on to say that i need to be home on a set date as he was coming to hand deliver me a letter???? i was abit confused an asked what it was about but he just said it was private & confidential & couldnt speak on the phone about it, he proceeded to tell me that i need to have some form of photo id when he comes with the letter?

so that was the end of the phone call & i was quite confused & alittle anxious to know what this letter was about, so today i called the PIP to which they told me they do not hand deliver letter personally & that i shouldnt open the door friday, im quite tempted to call the police as im now wondering if this is some kind of id fraud or something dodgy like that but i dont have a clue what to do & the lady on the phone from PIP had never heard of anything like that before & couldnt offer me any advice about it?

Does anyone have any kind of idea if this is actually real or what is happening? 

Thanks allx

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mcgregor28
    Welcome to the community, this sounds very concerning! If the DWP are saying that this is not them and they would not do this, it may be right to call 101 and speak to the police? 

Do you have someone who can be with you at home on Friday?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mcgregor28
    not at the moment but i am going to try & arrange for someone to be home with me or if i cant i will call the police when they arrive just to be safe
  • mcgregor28
    has anyone else ever had the DWP call and say they are hand delivering a letter before? as the lady on the phone said shes never heard of them doing this?
  • Sam_Alumni
    It isnt something I have heard of before and the worrying thing is if the DWP say they have no idea what this is. 
    Scope
  • mcgregor28
    at first from having a google i thought it could be a complience officer or something like that as i had made a complaint about the person who did the medical interview, but after calling PIP today and them saying they dont do this & they have no record of the call its got me worried... barely slept last night & just very anxious & worried about it now... and dont have a clue what i should do now :(
  • Bevvy7andover
    Bevvy7andover Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Phone the police don’t leave it Friday will be here realy fast!
  • mcgregor28
    so many thoughtrs are going through my mind from could it be debt collectors as im in quite abit of debt as since christmas my money has halved whilst waiting for this to be sorted so im in quite abit of debt, could it be someone trying to gain entry to my house & rob me, could it some one who will use my id for id fraud, could it be a complience officer or there own benefit fraud team, or maybe someone from a different area of PIP or is this someone playing a cruel joke on me... im tempted to wait outside my home & refuse to show them ID unless the police are present? just dont have a clue really.

Thanks guys for the advice.
  • Sam_Alumni
    @mcgregor28 it sounds very suspicious so you can call 101 and speak to someone from the police, it is better to be safe and cautious.
    Scope
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    As you are in debt, debt collectors have been known to pretend to be from the DWP to make sure you are at home when they call, they even pretend to be DWP staff to get information from jobcentres as to peoples whereabouts.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds like a scam, the DWP or any other will not want or need to deliver a letter by hand unless it’s a bailiff, court official wanting and needing to give it to you in your hand, an eviction notice by your landlord or mentioned above debt collectors. Don’t let any body in without full identification that can be checked by a phone call not a number given to you by the caller. Goggle the department,company if needs be or if feeling unsafe or threatened 999 the police.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @mcgregor28
    If I was you I would have somebody with me and keep the doors locked.That way they can call the police if need be.If the person shows I.D. You can always get them to pass the letter through the window.Stay safe.
          Debsidoo.x
  • mcgregor28
    thankyou all so much for your advice, i have a feeling its a bailiff & court order of some type, one good thing is its not an eviction notice as thats about the only thing i do manage to pay at the moment, i may wait outside my home & just lock the door & not let them in regardless and tomorrow i will call the pip again and just ask them to put it on file or something that they told me to not answer the door to these people, wish i asked more questions now when he called.

He just said im calling from the DWP in regards to your PIP & you have to be in between 10 & 12 so i can hand deliver a letter but you will need photo ID.

Never heard of anything like it before, hate the way these people mess with people especially people on the brink that have literally had enough of life... keep telling myself it cant rain forever lol
  • Sam_Alumni
    @mcgregor28 For your own safety it may be better for you to wait inside your home with the doors locked and have someone with you.
    Scope
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Under no circumstance open the door.!!
    As has been said ring the police now and tell them what has happened
    If this is about debt then you should have received a letter.
    If they are debt collectors or bailiffs then if they have a court order then they can call the police to gain entry.
    If not, it is your home and you have the right to deny access to anyone other than a police officer or waterboard official anyone else should be denied access
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Nools
    Nools Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    Oh, thats scary.
    There was a lady who posted the other day (im sorry i cant remember her name :(  ) who had a letter hand-delivered by the DWP and i think it was about benefit fraud. 
    Ill see if i can find her post for you.
  • Nools
    Hi again.
    Yeah, the post is entitled 'Pip coming to my house after iuc'.

Apparently, she had a letter that they were coming and not a phone call.

Hope its nothing bad.
  • mcgregor28
    thankyou all for the replies i really appreciate itx
  • mcgregor28
    Hi Nools is this the post you were talking about?

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56086/pip-coming-to-my-house-after-iuc

they came to her house & told her she owes 1000 pound???? what is this world coming too....... talk about hit someone whilst there down, the odd thing was in that post that person also complained about the assesor as did I? coincidence?
  • Nools
    Yes that's the one.
    Glad you found it okay :)
  • mcgregor28
    god knows what to do now, think ill call PIP again tomorrow & say that unless they know someone is coming to mine i wont be opening the door & to put that on file.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.