Recording your PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recording your PIP assessment

Catastrophe
Catastrophe Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I think that if you have to go for an Assessment, to tell the Assessor that you wish to record the Assessment on your Mobile as your evidence if you are not satisfied with the outcome. I was told my Assessor was a Paramedic but so have a lot of other Claimants. This being allegedly the case, I cannot understand why any Paramedic would be working as a Claims Assessor. Most Assessors have not one medical qualification and Decision Makers are only interpreting Acts or Statutes but only a Judge of the High Bench can really make Decisions supported by appropriate medical support form a General Practitioner or Hospital Consultant. These Clerks paid from the public purse must also be monitored to ensure that PIP claimants get the funds they are entitled to. If it comes to a dispute, you cannot rely on just hearsay. However, a video or voice recording might just be all the evidence you need. They must be held accountable for their Decisions which effect your life. It appears that many Claimants after completing Renewals have either lost their entitlement completely or have had their PIP reduced to the standard rate. If these public servants are on notice that everything is being recorded for your own peace of mind, it might make them sit up and take notice of your psychiatric and physical disabilities rather than just deliberately ticking the wrong box in order to reduce payments from the public coffers whilst these Decision Makers and Assessors do not seem to have any problem at all taking their salaries from the public purse. If your Assessor says they are a Nurse or Paramedic or in fact any title that implies they are medical qualified, this needs to be checked out with the appropriate organisation such as The Royal College of Nursing. Privilege and fancy titles can sometimes hide a multitude of sins. Good luck everyone.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Catastrophe
    Welcome to the community, the rules around recording your assessment are very strict and you cannot record it on your phone.

Your recording equipment must be able to produce two identical copies of the recording at the end of the consultation, either in audio cassette or CD format. You will need to give one copy of the recording to the Health Professional undertaking your consultation, at the end of the consultation.

So although I understand your frustration, we must point out that it isnt as simple as recording on a mobile device.  Also covertly recording isnt a good idea as if you are found out, they can halt the assessment and I don't believe that the recording would be admissible.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Catastrophe
    I would need to take legal advice as only a qualified solicitor could confirm whether what you say is right or wrong.  We have the right to decide our own criteria for obtaining evidence and I do not think that any Assessor would have a problem with the interview and assessment being recorded if they do not have anything to hide.   You should be more supportive to those who you are allegedly representing.  How about taking a proper film maker and camera crew along??
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Catastrophe
    I have not had the chance to read through the DWP pdf document that you supplied the link to CockneyRebel but I am not happy at all about taxpayers money being paid out to private commercial companies.  Massive amounts of money could be saved if PIP Assessments were carried out by our own GPs who have first hand knowledge of how our disabilities both mental and physical effect our daily lives.  They are in the best place to assess how our illnesses make our lives difficult, not some faceless wonder sitting behind a desk somewhere in the country who has not even one medical qualification and who has not even met us face to face.  Public Servants are getting too far above themselves.  At the end of the day they are just Clerks.  Forget all the fancy titles.  Only a doctor can really say whether a patient qualifies for PIP or not and not a public servant.  My opinion!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with your opinion and we should do all we can to challenge this unfair and uneconomic system.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Catastrophe
    Too right CockneyRebel.  Where shall we start??  Maybe writing to our local MP would be a good start.  This is an unacceptable situation.  Maybe an interview on local radio or a write up in the local newspaper.  Copy emails to our MPs to our regional television companies and also the News Editor at the local rag.  I think this is a good start.  Start tapping on those keys.
  • ash5896
    ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    I wish I was able to record mine. The report from the nurse if full of lies and examinations that didn’t take place at all. During the assessment the chair broke and I fell. The nurse left me there and didn’t ask if I was ok and when complaining she said that she had a back problem and hence couldn’t help. I’ve put a complaint in and I’ve been told that there wa son independent witness I can’t do nothing and my partners statement holds no value as she will support me either way. It’s ridiculous. On a positive my partneris a nurse too and she’s writing to the NMC who are more than happy to look at my report and will take my partners statement into account as she was present at the time.
    im future I will only be asking for home assessments and in my own house I can record whatever I want. We have cctv anyway so my partner can keep an eye on me whilst she’s at work.
    My GP is a little annoyed with me too and said I should have asked for a home assessment and in future that what I will do.
    Ash 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    ash5896 said:
    I will only be asking for home assessments and in my own house I can record whatever I want. We have cctv anyway so my partner can keep an eye on me whilst she’s at work.
    My GP is a little annoyed with me too and said I should have asked for a home assessment and in future that what I will do.
    If you are in the ATOS area getting a home assessment is extremely difficult to get authorised. When I telephoned them for my first assessment in 2013, the person that answered the telephone at ATOS said that unless I have my GP come out to make visits instead of going to the surgery then I was expected to turn up under my own steam (taxi was also refused). Additional to this they wanted a letter from my GP to say that I have to have home visits and the reasons why.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Any reason why people are digging up old threads?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • imber
    imber Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hi I have just received the appointment for my PIP assessment and will be recording the assessment. I will use two identical audio cassette recorders this is acceptable to Capita and their assessors. You must call the help line on 0808178814 before your assessment and inform them of your wishes and they will go through the procedures with you
  • Icon_Missing
    Icon_Missing Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited March 2019

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm due to have my assessment on April 1st, no really! I've asked for it to be recorded only to be told that the onus is on me to record and provide the equipment to do so. Surely Atos - yes it's those [removed by moderator] - should me made to provide the recording equipment if they want it done in certain formats? Who uses cassettes nowadays?

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    If I were being cynical (!) I'd suggest that DWP insist CD/cassette for that very reason i.e.because no-one uses them anymore very few people actually own one. Similarly the restriction on MP3 format seems to be to prevent anyone recording on their phone, most of which are capable of high quality recording. I recorded mine on professional quality equipment which I used for recording wildlife - when I asked which format they would prefer if they didn't want MP3 no-one had a clue.

Although I've not done this myself, I'd advise just getting a couple of cheap dictaphones off Ebay.

As with any recording make sure that you are familiar with the equipment before you go, and that the batteries are fully charged etc.

Take spare batteries and tapes.

Do a soundcheck before you start - get everyone present to introduce themselves and then play it back to make sure that you've got the sound levels correct etc.

Good luck!
  • Icon_Missing
    Icon_Missing Community member Posts: 9 Listener

I had a great result going direct to Amber Rudd (I suggest as many people as possible go direct to her to show the level of contempt they have at the various disability denial factories) so I've gone back to her office. I want a home recording carried out, Atos have stated what format they will accept they can provide the equipment, I don't see why I should lose out financially because of it. I didn't ask for the assessment so it's up to the assessors to bring what is needed.

I'm toying with asking an interested local newspaper report if he would like to sit in

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    cristobal said:

Although I've not done this myself, I'd advise just getting a couple of cheap dictaphones off Ebay.

Dictaphones/laptops and mobiles can't be used to record an assessment. When recording an assessment you must use either CD/tape recorders and 2 identical copies must be recorded. One copy must then be handed in at the end of the assessment.

Permission must be given before recording an assessment by ringing the health assessment providers. If an assessment is recorded without permission then the claimant risks having their assessment stopped, their file returned to DWP and very likely a refusal of that benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    @poppy123456 - you offer such good advice that I'm reluctant to disagree.

However, when I say 'dictaphone' I mean one of the hand-held devices that people in the long distant past used to record notes etc. The one I had recorded onto a cassette tape and would have thought would fully comply with the DWP guidelines. I certainly  can't find any mention of them not being allowed although you are correct - laptops and mobile phones are specifically excluded.

Also, for clarity, you do not need 'permission' to record an assessment. Capita's guidelines are that you 'notify' them in advance, and comply with their conditions - i.e. you are telling them that you are recording the assessment and not seeking permission.

I fully agree that it's not a good idea to carry out a recording without telling them first - in any event I would have thought it was quite difficult to do covertly.

• cristobal
    @poppy123456 - this is the DWP guidance
    • the claimant must be able to provide a complete and accurate copy of the audio recording to the HP at the end of the consultation. For this reason, certain devices that are capable of editing, real-time streaming or video recording the session are not approved. Non-approved devices include (but are not limited to) PCs, tablets, smart phones, MP3 players, smart watches, and devices that are not capable of providing a verifiable media copy that can be easily checked during the assessment. Acceptable formats for such recordings are restricted to CD and audio cassette only

• poppy123456
    cristobal said:

Acceptable formats for such recordings are restricted to CD and audio cassette only

This means that dictaphones are not allowed. It's CD and cassette recorders only.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cristobal
    @poppy123456....sorry but I still disagree  and I struggling to understand why you believe  that a dictaphone that records onto a cassette tape would not be allowed. 

Let's move on.....
  • poppy123456
    @ilovecats i would appreciate your advice on this one please. Can dictaphones be used to record an assessment?
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I have not had the chance to read through the DWP pdf document that you supplied the link to CockneyRebel but I am not happy at all about taxpayers money being paid out to private commercial companies.  Massive amounts of money could be saved if PIP Assessments were carried out by our own GPs who have first hand knowledge of how our disabilities both mental and physical effect our daily lives.  They are in the best place to assess how our illnesses make our lives difficult, 
    Why do you think that the Ministry of Transport changed the rules for people trying to get a Blue Badge who did not have the right level of DLA or PIP? Previously your GP would have certified that you needed one and the council would have sent you one. It was found that GP's could not be relied upon to be both objective or not biased. They changed it so that an independent assessor would instead have to assess you for a badge.
    Likewise the DWP would not be happy with a GP certifying someone for PIP, they could well be biased in favour of the claimant/patient, hence why PIP assessors are independent.

In fact, and unless you live with your GP, how are they to assess how you would fit the PIP descriptors? They would only know if you told them which then is no more than, my patient has informed me....
    You could tell the GP anything, the truth or a complete lie.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.