Form ESA3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Form ESA3

Options
Scott63
Scott63 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi, just received my form today, I would like to know if you are paid any money owing, would that not affect the council tax, and housing benefit you were paid at the time, would they try and grab that back.

PS. I do not really understand the benefit system, but I was on incapacity benefit for many years, when it changed over to ESA my money dropped by quite a bit, it stayed like that for around 5 years, then in October 2018 I had to be assessed for my ESA at a medical center, it went back up to where it used to be, but nothing had changed in my circumstances, the form only wants changes from 29/05/2012-25/05/2013, I would of thought it should be from 2012 till 2018.

Comments

• Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Options
    Hi I got form ESA3 for same thing I was moved over from IB to ESA in 2012 they only want info from when you were on CB ESA which if you were in WRAG would only be for 1year that would have been when they probably underpaid you mine wanted info from 2/11/2012 to 2/11/2013. 
  • Silver925
    Options
    The form is to see if they underpaid you for that period. Were you in the wrag? They will pay you any money owed from that time it was their error. Could be £5,000 or a lo more in premiums you should have had. They only assessed people for cb they didn't bother to assess for ir too.
  • Silver925
    Options
    As for housing council tax you'll have to wait to see how much they pay out. You could use the online benefits calculator to see if anything might be affected. I think it will only be affected from £16,000 . anything from£6,000 they just deduct a few quid.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any money received, over £5000, due to the IB to ESA underpayment is disregarded for the life of your claim
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Scott63
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I actually phoned them up on Thursday after posting on here, after a bit of a chat with the lady, she said I could receive almost £4,000, I could not believe it, and I could not settle all night with excitement, My wife told me not to get to carried away, and to phone them again on Friday just to make sure, the lady I spoke to on Friday basically told me to throw the form in  the bid as I would get nowhere near that amount, and it would be a waste of my time and effort filling the form in, she said the other lady had not done a proper check of my claim, and had got it wrong.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    You have nothing to lose by filling in and returning the form, without it they cannot do an assessment so anything you were told is just speculation
  • Scott63
    Options
    I almost did throw it in the bin, but kept hold of it, the lady on the phone said she will make a note of me saying I will not bother sending the form in, hope it's not too late.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Hi Scott63

No it is not to late, an ESA 3 form is just a general financial check form, usually to see if you qualify for an income related top up and or premium. They are sending these out because of the possible errors and omissions made when transfering from IB to ESA. The phone jockeys in the call centres are only trained to get you off the phone as quickly as possible without having to take any further action
  • Scott63
    Options
    Cheers CockneyRebel.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.