Medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical assessment

kim7171
kim7171 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello i have to go for a medical assessment for PIP in the morning does anyone know what questions they will ask or what it entails please?

Thanks kim

Comments

• Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    It all depends on you disability. But my advise is think about you answer before you give it. Think about why they are asking that particular question. Like, " do you have a dog ? " who walks it ? " " Do you drive ? "  They tell you, it isn't to catch you out, it is, be mindful. Take a witness and get the witness to write everything down. You're not allowed to record without prior notice. But you can take notes. Best of luck.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @kim7171, hello and welcome, firstly be warned there are CCTV cameras outside and in and around the assessment center it not the assessment room. So if you are seen to walk into the center ok, fine and dandy and have submitted in your form-you are unable to walk far this could and can be noted. On arrival you will have to book in and show some forms of identification. Then you wait in the waiting area till the assessor calls you. The assessor will know the distances from the nearest car park, bus stop and rail station if the center is within walking distance. You will be asked how you arrived at the center and by what means of transport. The answers you wrote in your application form will have to be justified and the assessor will question you as to get the best suitable answer that fits your conditions, disability in relationship to the PIP descriptors. Your appearance will be noted and recorded and the assessor will be forming an opinion of your mental, memory and other observations during the assessment that you will be unaware of until you request a copy of your assessment report about a week after your assessment. Good luck and keep the community updated.
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    agree with everyone above, and watch out for loaded questions, how can you do, and then numbers, if none apply, think before answering and say none of those fit, it various on day to day etc, good luck
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    I got quite a lot of questions about driving which I thought quite strange as driving is nothing to do with PIP. 

Fairly obviously the idea is that if you drive then an assessor will make assumptions about your ability to sit down for a certain period, coordination, grip etc. I don't personally agree with this, as my assessor made completely unreasonable assumptions, but I imagine it's designed to catch out anyone who's on the fiddle who might have answers ready for more obvious direct questions.

I was also asked about pets, and hobbies.

My advice would be to be totally honest but think for a few seconds before answering just in case your answer might be misunderstood...

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    cristobal said:
    My advice would be to be totally honest but think for a few seconds before answering just in case your answer might be misunderstood...

As you say, always be honest. You should not need to think for a few seconds before answering. how can the truth be misunderstood? And more to the point and if by thinking about your answer you will still give the same answer. Hesitation could be seen as deception, trying to think of an answer that you could get away with.

Driving most certainly has a direct connection to many physical and mental processes. 
    Having a pet animal may well suggest that you can look after it but you claim that you can't look after yourself.

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    assessments shouldn't be so complicated, most are already stressed enough out to be thinking so deep, as i know i am, and fall for the same traps every time, talk too much and have so little written down of what i did or didn't say, advice is great before hand, but if like me, once there panic sets in and your not in a physical and or mental place your comfortable with, answers and replies don't always tally up to what's been written on forms when your in your own house and happier surrounding, life just not this simple, when loaded questions are given, and wrong answers are gotten, they do it for a living, we do it so we survive
  • cristobal
    @twonker - I'm reluctant to get into a debate about "the assessor lied" variety because, as we all know, the vast majority of assessments are carried out perfectly properly...my assessment wasn't one of these..

"How can the truth be misunderstood"...only if you want to misunderstand

I was asked about my hobbies, one of which involves a small amount of walking. This apparently was evidence that I can walk up to 200m, despite the fact that I said that I found it a lot more difficult and I couldn't remember the last time I had been to my club to carry out said hobby as it was so long ago.

Driving a car was also 'evidence' that I can walk up to 200 metres - apparently because I got out the car and walk to the kiosk to pay for fuel - which I don't (and it would have to be a pretty big filling station)

There are lots of others that I won't bore you with.

As the saying goes "tell the truth, and then you don't have to sort your story out!!"
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Its human nature to be positive about ones self, try to avoid that and tell it how it is.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• twonker
    woodbine said:
    Its human nature to be positive about ones self, try to avoid that and tell it how it is.
    Good advice and something that I can agree with.
    However you do sound a lot like the many Counsellors that have tried to help me over the past 20 odd years. 
    They all wanted me to 'bare my soul' at the expense of their satisfaction and my utter distress. They might have been able to write up their notes thinking a good job done whilst I had to go home in a suicidal state thinking that I was worthless.
    People prefer to keep those thoughts and feelings well hidden for those reasons hence what you see is not always what you are. That's why it is human nature, it's survival.
  • Threesticks
    twonker said:
    cristobal said:

As you say, always be honest. You should not need to think for a few seconds before answering. how can the truth be misunderstood? And more to the point and if by thinking about your answer you will still give the same answer. Hesitation could be seen as deception, trying to think of an answer that you could get away with.

Driving most certainly has a direct connection to many physical and mental processes. 
    Having a pet animal may well suggest that you can look after it but you claim that you can't look after yourself.

Anyone who doesn't think about their answer is a fool. This can and does get used in a Court, if it goes that far. As for the Driving question, their answer to that is, you are coordinated and can follow a route. So your metal capacity is capable of conducting multi tasks. Pray tell what has that got to do with osteoarthritis ?

There are quite a few disabled drivers out there who manage quite well. I was marked down because I drive an Automatic car. To me, this is just another excuse to deliberately mark you down. I can't see how you can defend a very flawed and corrupt system, one that makes massive profits. I don't think anyone was suggesting not telling the truth. But that works both ways, they are not honest or truthful.   
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • kim7171
    kim7171 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Thank you everyone for your input.  I am absaloutly scared to death now about tomorrow.  I live alone and have a mobility car. I also have 2 small dogs which my family walk and take out for me. I have had the dogs before my children moved out and now its just me and them. With out them i wouldnt want to get out of bed in the morning as i feel whats the point..

Also as i live alone are they going to ask about shopping as i do get it delivered  but if i only need bread and milk etc there is a co op on the road so will they ask if i have to walk to the door? Whats the point of having the freedom and independance of a mobility car if you are losing points by walking to and from your car.  
  • twonker

Anyone who doesn't think about their answer is a fool. This can and does get used in a Court, if it goes that far. As for the Driving question, their answer to that is, you are coordinated and can follow a route. So your metal capacity is capable of conducting multi tasks. Pray tell what has that got to do with osteoarthritis ?

There are quite a few disabled drivers out there who manage quite well. I was marked down because I drive an Automatic car. To me, this is just another excuse to deliberately mark you down. I can't see how you can defend a very flawed and corrupt system, one that makes massive profits. I don't think anyone was suggesting not telling the truth. But that works both ways, they are not honest or truthful.   
    In which case I am a complete fool! If someone was to ask you if you have friends that you meet up with how would you answer? You either do or you don't. It doesn't matter how many exceptions or conditions you would put to it, it still remains a yes no answer.

Unfortunately for those people that have driven for years they may not be fully aware of how the body reacts to driving. Apart from the leg (brake & accelerator) movement, the movement of arms, wrists and fingers (steering wheel and other controls) you have to take on board the mental issues involved (memory, anticipation, adaption etc)

In fact taking all of the body and mental functions together especially on the roads today you are only 1 second away from a major accident if your body cannot cope or it lets you down.

The system is not in question. Quite possibly that argument would always be there no matter what the system is. I remember the same arguments being voiced when DLA came into play some 27 years ago!

• Threesticks
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    cristobal said:

Cognitive ability aside, if you can drive an unadapted car, even an automatic then a certain level of grip, power, dexterity and power can be assumed. Getting in an out of a car also requires a certain level of physical ability.
    And that's exactly why I drive an Automatic 4x4. I don't have to bend down to get in. I just slide across the seat. I don't have to use my knees at, all brakes are assisted now. It's a misnomer and wrong to assume you can't drive, even with osteoarthritis. Unless, it's in your hands. That's the problem, Assumptions.  
  • Threesticks
    twonker said:

In which case I am a complete fool! If someone was to ask you if you have friends that you meet up with how would you answer? You either do or you don't. It doesn't matter how many exceptions or conditions you would put to it, it still remains a yes no answer.

Unfortunately for those people that have driven for years they may not be fully aware of how the body reacts to driving. Apart from the leg (brake & accelerator) movement, the movement of arms, wrists and fingers (steering wheel and other controls) you have to take on board the mental issues involved (memory, anticipation, adaption etc)

In fact taking all of the body and mental functions together especially on the roads today you are only 1 second away from a major accident if your body cannot cope or it lets you down.

The system is not in question. Quite possibly that argument would always be there no matter what the system is. I remember the same arguments being voiced when DLA came into play some 27 years ago!

Well I didn't want to point the finger, but since you mention it lol It's not a yes or no answer. There are many answers to it. I have no friends, I don't meet them they come to me, I contact them by phone. Three very different answers to the same question and not just yes or no. I personally only have one friend, he lives next door to me.

I have to disagree, this system is being FORCED upon us is flawed and not fit for purpose. It is a deliberate attempt by this government to rid itself of people with disabilities and force them into work no matter what their disabilities. Cameron, when PM said, " if you can push a pencil you can work ". He meant every word of it. Bedroom tax, UC all to make sure they pay you less. But has only saved 2% over all. But, that isn't taking into account how much they pay these assessment for profit companies. The extra staff they have to pay the DWP and the Courts system. All to reduce your income, but their income is £80k a year to tell you how you can afford to live off £53 a week

I bow to your superior knowledge of DLA, I have only just been assessed disabled and am new to this system. However, I cannot do physical work any more and use my computer to make a living, which was used against me at my assessment. That said, my friend next door is totally disabled from birth, wheelchair bound and this system, you fully support, wanted to send him to work and had to attend the Job Centre for interview. His mother who had a two bedroom bungalow had to give it up, because of the bedroom tax and is worse off.

Is there anyone on here who has gone on to PIP UC or AA who is better off ? I doubt it. Our local Con-serative Politician, refused to acknowledge we have food and clothing banks, although we have at least three. So please don't tell me this is a fair and just system. It is a deliberate attack on the poor and disabled.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger

Is there anyone on here who has gone on to PIP UC or AA who is better off ? I doubt it.
    PIP and AA are totally different to UC. AA is for those over the age of 65, is similar to DLA/PIP but doesn't have a mobility part. UC is a working age means tested benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Threesticks
    ilovecats said:
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    cristobal said:

Cognitive ability aside, if you can drive an unadapted car, even an automatic then a certain level of grip, power, dexterity and power can be assumed. Getting in an out of a car also requires a certain level of physical ability.
    And that's exactly why I drive an Automatic 4x4. I don't have to bend down to get in. I just slide across the seat. I don't have to use my knees at, all brakes are assisted now. It's a misnomer and wrong to assume you can't drive, even with osteoarthritis. Unless, it's in your hands. That's the problem, Assumptions.  
    So you don’t have to move your right foot from the accelerator to brake? You don’t have to twist the steering wheel, turn behind you to look at the blind spot. So you just slide in, how do your legs get off the floor and intot the car, how do you turn in your seat to look in the mirrors. These are all things that every driver of an unadapted automatic car has to do.

I’m not saying driving a car automatically means you can walk, it does however lend itself to a certain level of ability when cooking washing and dressing. 

I have scored many people 1-20m (enhanced) for walking even if they drive. Normally for breathing related conditions but it is not just limited to that. Assessors do understand that many disabled people’s lifeline is their car however to score enhanced and therefore keep the car means a person has to be severely restricted. 20m is such a short distance to not be able to walk, therefore the level of disability is expected to be high to award it.
    Hmm, that's weird, my assessor told me she doesn't make the decisions on how many points I get and yet you do. Are you an assessor then ? As I said, this is the problem, Assumptions. I have many conditions, breathing related is one of them. You've assumed quite a lot there. How does an assessor understand in an forty to sixty minute assessment and out trump Dr's and Surgeons as in my case ?
  • twonker
    edited April 2019
    I'm sorry that you cannot agree. You reply to my posting with three and a bit lines. The rest of your post is another three paragraphs in length. I didn't ask for a political statement about the rights and wrongs of the system. Personally I think the system is about as fair as they can make it.
    So other than having no friends you would either contact them by telephone or they would come to see you.
    Ignoring the no friends scenario, you would be able to communicate & make yourself understood, Yes?
    As for the political tripe I am not getting involved - you have your opinion I have mine.
  • Threesticks
    It's clear we are not going to agree. So lets agree that at least. It's not my opinion it's facts. Fact it is not just a yes and no answer, as you suggest, with a bit of thought there are more answers. Fact, it can be used in Court. Everything I have said is fact, prove me wrong. I only deal in facts, not assumptions or misguided people who make it up as they go along, just facts.   
  • Threesticks

Is there anyone on here who has gone on to PIP UC or AA who is better off ? I doubt it.
    PIP and AA are totally different to UC. AA is for those over the age of 65, is similar to DLA/PIP but doesn't have a mobility part. UC is a working age means tested benefit.
    I was asking a general question, as they are all entitlements. And operated by the DWP .
  • cristobal
    @Threesticks - just a thought...would it be helpful to post your question about PIP/UC etc as a separate topic? 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.