Pip review assessment please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review assessment please help

hope25
hope25 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I've got my assessment coming up and I'm so worried about it , I filled my review form in myself and I don't know if I've done it right I've been diagnosed with two new conditions aswell but I'm so worried just wondering if anyone's got any advice please it's making me feel sick , I have generalised anxiety disorder , panic disorder , cyclothymia and social anxiety disorder 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hope25 welcome to the community! First of all, I want to reassure you that you are OK and safe. You're now part of a supportive community who will help you as much as we can :)

I have a PIP reassessment coming up soon too. It's a home visit. I'm a little nervous but I know it's got to be done. They just need to clarify what you have stated in your review form. It's not about what you are diagnosed with but instead it focuses on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily tasks and your mobility :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    Hi hope25, I had mine just over a week ago, I have severe anxiety, agoraphobia, maybe social anxiety, depression and fibromyalgia.

I trusted Welfare Rights to do my review form. 

Have a look at this post, it has some good info and advice in it :) Scroll up to the top if it sends you to the bottom of the thread :)

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56365/pip-form-filling
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    I would say don't treat this as a review, get your paperwork up together and take it as your first assessment, make sure you cover everything, they should read up on your case before assessing you, but don't assume they will just rubber stamp all your old details, when you get to the medical check try to do as asked, but don't push too hard and hurt yourself, tell them if you cant do anything, if doing so will cause pain, try and explain each descriptor fully as they might take no notice of your other paperwork especially if its been a year or so since it was done. Its not as bad as you think, getting through the door is the worst part 
  • hope25
    Thank you everyone , I filled the form in myself and didn't really know what to put how to explain , but I've only just been diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder so I'm wondering if that's s why I've been called for a review ? 
  • hope25
    Thank you everyone , I filled the form in myself and didn't really know what to put how to explain , but I've only just been diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder so I'm wondering if that's s why I've been called for a review ? 
  • [Deleted User]
    Most people tend to have assessments from what I've been reading. I had mine just over a week ago.
  • hope25
    Hi just an update the pip assessment cancelled on me an hour before my appointment and told me I had to wait another two week , I'm so stressed out with it all just want it over with tbh ... I hope yours went well 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How frustrating @hope25! I'm glad they've given you another date though and hopefully the two weeks will go past quickly for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • hope25
    I know I just hope it goes well now I'm so anxious ... thank you 
  • [Deleted User]
    *hugs* I know that feeling only too well! I get those horrible butterflies with mine.
  • hope25
    Thank you , I wouldn't wish it on anybody it's hard for support with some of my family aswell they don't believe in mental health , so it's nice to have something like this to turn to ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah, my Son understands it because he has anxiety himself, my Mum tries to understand as well. That's the only two I bother with in real life in all honesty.
  • hope25
    I only have a handful of ppl too , it's just a sad time feeling like you have prove yourself it's hard enough 
  • [Deleted User]
    I agree.

The other thing that bothers me is the amount of conflicting evidence in regards to evidence, not everyone has up to date evidence or any at all, especially not evidence that explains how you are affected on a daily basis, I don't have treatment for my mental health anymore because it didn't help, I was advised to stop taking medication because it didn't help and I have zero evidence in regards to fibromyalgia because I've been diagnosed by three different gp's but because of NHS backlogs and treatment having limited or no effect they won't refer me and I can't take painkillers due to stomach and swallowing problems. So I've been extremely anxious about this review, it's really made me feel a lot worse. I should stop looking at forums really!

I hope you are doing ok.
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    You are right it's a problem sorting out reports and medical data, but you have to explain how your problems effect you, some on here have been able to get a good result with little or no paperwork, I think it's luck of the draw personally, if you had problems with one painkiller ask your GP if you can try a different one or referred to a pain clinic (if they have access to one)
    Remember everyone has had problems with different things, many may not apply in your case, so forget the scare stories, on my second F2F I had a mental health nurse, who was familiar with my other problems and I had a fair assessment, not as good as I wanted or thought, but fair.

Even if you lose your award, should you feel you still have problems you can try again, second time round it's a lot less daunting, time consuming yes but less stress.   
  • [Deleted User]
    Welfare Rights filled my review form out, they never asked me for 2 - 3 examples and said the onus was on them to prove that I had gotten better and that evidence is only really needed for MR's and tribunals. 

Yeah, I mean nothing has gotten better really, I'm worse if anything, the GP's won't refer me to anything for FM because treatment has little or no affect on it sadly. 

The first time around it was pretty much based on my mental health and all they had evidence wise was a letter from my GP explaining that I had tried different things to help myself but nothing had worked etc. it wasn't a long letter but it seemed to help, Capita asked the GP for the letter though. I didn't have a FM diagnoses then. 

Not everyone has evidence to say how they are affected on a daily basis.

The assessor I had was ok, he was understanding, he let my Son help as well, he recapped what he had typed out etc. but we shall see.

Forums like these with mixed information can make people like me very anxious (no offence).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    The onus is always on you to make sure evidence is sent to support your claim and to prove you qualify, not their's.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Initially when PIP first came out the onus was on the DWP/assessor to disprove what you are claiming. Over time that has been reversed to suit both the DWP and the assessor. As was pointed out, it is now the case that you have to prove with evidence that what you claim is exactly the truth.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    twonker said:
    Initially when PIP first came out the onus was on the DWP/assessor to disprove what you are claiming. Over time that has been reversed to suit both the DWP and the assessor. As was pointed out, it is now the case that you have to prove with evidence that what you claim is exactly the truth.
    Are you sure about that? That wasn't what it was like when i first claimed PIP in 2013. As they ask for names of GP's people automatically assume they contact them. They always asked for names of GP's etc, just like they do now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    I wasn't aware anyone said the onus wasn't on the claimant? I simply repeated what Welfare Rights said, doesn't mean I've listened to them which is why I'm pretty anxious about it. Also @Username_removed has said several times that over 50% of people are awarded pip without evidence, I'm not saying I'm going to be awarded again hence the being anxious, I'll just have to wait and see.

I was sharing my concerns is all.. this is why I don't post questions on the forums, I end up being made anxious.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.