DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

Dinkysaurus
Dinkysaurus Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
Hello everyone.
I have been on DLA lower rate care, higher rate mobility for 20 years. I had an indefinite award. My issues are physical. I don't have feeling in one leg and have referred pain in my good leg due to the work it has to do to compensate. I fall regularly ( just knocked my front teeth out recently from a fall ) and don't like to go out. and if I do then I always have someone with me. I also use crutches all the time. My bed is now downstairs and I need a commode too as our bathroom is upstairs. The staircase is too narrow for a lift. My daughter is my main carer. 
I received the letter to move from DLA to PIP 4 weeks ago. I completed the form and attached a letter from my GP. I went for my face to face assessment yesterday. The lady was nice and asked a question then typed what I answered ( I hope )  I was fine no concerns about it until now. I'm in panic mode. I don't know why. I think I told her everything. I called the DWP today for a copy of the assessment and they will send it out to me. 
I have read other peoples experiences and a lot of people with mental health issues really appear to be discriminated against. My issue will never get better and has worsened with time an will continue to do so. I'm 46 now and this was medical negligence that caused my disability 21 years ago. Its a wait for me now.  I also get ESA in the support group. 
If anyone has had similar experiences with lower limb mobility issues I would love to hear your experiences. 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Dinkysaurus

A very warm welcome.

You will be able to see what level of benefit has been recommended, once you have the assessment report to hand.

Over a million people have moved from DLA to PIP since 2013.

We only hear of poor experiences on Internet forums.

My PIP was fine and the assessor was kind and empathetic, I was awarded enhanced for both.

My wife was allowed to speak and support throughout the assessment.

Hope this helps.
  • Dinkysaurus
    Hi Atlas46

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you do seem to see a lot of the negative experiences. 
    For my ESA assessment, I was declined however I asked them to look at it again and got a phone call saying that the actual assessor's medical report did uphold my disability issues but the original decision maker had overruled it. However, they overturned that decision and am now in the support group. 
    I am not usually a worrier in general and wasn't until after this PIP face to face. Even though like I said it appeared to go well its a waiting game.
    As I was typing I have received a text to say that they have my report from Atos and will contact me with the decision. So Im keeping everything crossed. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you live in the UK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    Hi

I agree it is a very stressful period after your assessment till you get the formal award letter from the DWP.

As previously explained when you get the report, you will be able to see what has been recommended.

Is that an omen, that you got a text whilst typing on this thread!

It takes about 6-8 weeks before payment for PIP kicks in.

Keep us informed.

• Dinkysaurus
    @atlas46

Can I just ask, please? The descriptor regarding mobility for the actual going out. I told them I don't like going out and don't do so unless it's needed. I don't go shopping etc as its obviously very painful with my condition and the after effects are also bad, but also someone is with me all the time due to the falls I have. So if I need to go out for example to the hospital or the assessment I have my 2 crutches and someone with me, usually my daughter. Would this score points? In addition to the actual walking as I describe below?
    The amount of time and distance I can walk is poor. The assessor told me that the 6-metre walk from the waiting room to her room was just under a minute. ( Obviously, timed me ) . I also told her that if I need to go upstairs which should be weekly for my bath ( believe me I'm like a 5-year old that makes up excuses not to! ) I have to go on my bottom.  She also asked if I drove. I told her no and she said before me " as its too much pain? " which is true. She asked how I got there. My son drove me. We live 500 metres from the assessment centre and as I told her that was bad enough. 
    She asked me to do movements sat in the chair. My leg is "dead " and doesnt move at all and she said " you certainly have no movement there have you"  
    Im so bad as I've been reading the terrible outcomes even with an understanding assessor like mine.
    I really hope I get awarded the points I deserve. 
  • atlas46
    Hi

The mobility is considered in two parts.

1. Planning and following journeys.

2. Moving around.

From what you have described you should score in both.

Interesting I had to undertake the musculoskeletal tests sat in the chair, for the same reason as you, numbness and pain in my left leg.

Another factor that is also taken into account, can you do the activity in a safe, repeatedly and in timely manner.

In other words without causing your problems to worsen or putting you at risk of harm.
    As in the falls you have mentioned.

You should have the report within a few days.

The best advice I can give, is don’t worry and try and relax.

Keep us informed.

• Dinkysaurus
    @atlas46

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I will keep you informed. As soon as I receive the report, good or bad news I will let you know. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Not everyone will fail the tests for each activity. Remember that every condition is different. My son didn’t fail the tests for activity number 11 since I have no safety concerns. Some people who only have physical disabilities will fail the tests that are about mobility issues. Good luck. 
  • Dinkysaurus
    @ilovecats thank you for your reply.

The reason I asked is I need someone with me when I'm out due to falls that are frequent in the house and also when outside, For instance falling in the hospital and knocking my teeth out on the lift door.  In the 20 years with this, I have had countless falls and injuries. ( broken foot, ligament damage, head injury )
    So while I was fairly sure about the actual limitations on walking, I was unsure that needing someone with me at all times came under the other descriptor. Or is there no taking into account about actually needing someone with me on a journey?

Thank you 
  • Dinkysaurus
    @ilovecats

It does make sense I understand now. Thank you very much.
  • davet
    davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    hi
    I can very much relate to yourself, I too have lower limb issues following a stroke which was also due to medical negligence, my left leg is almost useless and like you I suffer pain in my right leg and hip with the extra work it has to do ( I did in fact send a letter from my GP confirming this) and I find it difficult to walk a short distance. initially I too was on DLA with a full mobility award then I was "invited" to apply for PIP and attended a face to face assessment which I too thought went well, however I received a copy of my report and was staggered at some of its contents and the exclusion of some points, I was asked by the assessor to cross my left leg casually over my right knee without using my hands this I did however I almost fell off the chair doing it, the assessor himself even said "whoa be careful there, we dont want you more disabled" yet there was nothing in the report about this incident at all, in fact he reported that I was able to carry out all movements he asked me to do, he also reported that on completion of the assessment I bent down and picked my bag up from the floor, what he failed to mention was that I was sat down at the time, following this report my benefit was reduced. I personally was disgusted by the way the DWP seemed to try anything in order to reduce my benefit, I had told them that I have to use a taxi to the local supermarket and back, so they decided that  as I was able to walk to a taxi, I was able to walk normally and  when I sent them photographs showing that the taxi is able to stop within six foot of my front door and the taxi rank for coming back home was actually within ten feet of the supermarket door they completely ignored it,  despite reconsideration they still would not move on their decision. I then took it to a tribunal where more consideration was given to the proof I had provided along with noting a point which the assessor had overlooked and my claim was increased, I still lost my full mobility award, but to be honest by that time I had had enough of trying to fight them  
  • atlas46
    ilovecats said:
    atlas46 said:
    Hi

The mobility is considered in two parts.

1. Planning and following journeys.

2. Moving around.

From what you have described you should score in both.

Interesting I had to undertake the musculoskeletal tests sat in the chair, for the same reason as you, numbness and pain in my left leg.

Another factor that is also taken into account, can you do the activity in a safe, repeatedly and in timely manner.

In other words without causing your problems to worsen or putting you at risk of harm.
    As in the falls you have mentioned.

You should have the report within a few days.

The best advice I can give, is don’t worry and try and relax.

Keep us informed.

I disagree. Activity 12 yes, but not Activity 11. 

Activity 11 will only score if there is a cognitive, visual or epilepsy related restriction or violence/safety concerns. Mental health will only score if there is overwhelming psychological distress present or someone is actively suicidal with plans.
    Hi @ilovecats

I disagree with you, activity 1 does apply for @Dinkysaurus in mobility.

We just have to wait till @Dinkysaurus gets a copy of his PIP report, to see who is right.

I have already drafted my victory speech!

Best wishes.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Falls arising from a physical disability will score under activity 12.

If the falls arise from a sensory or cognitive impairment then the claimant would score under activity 11 for safety. As Dinkysaurus is claiming for just a physical condition then they won't score under activity 11.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dinkysaurus
    Good morning

@atlas46 @ilovecats

I will say that I am on anxiety medication. I explained that it's due to feeling anxious and have panic attacks on occasion about going out mainly as I'm embarrassed about the falls and worrying if I can manage. She asked if the medication worked. I was honest and said sometimes yes but not all the time. I did have CPN support in the past for depression and was on an antidepressant but therapy helped this so that was discontinued but the anxiety remains. 

And again thank you for your input all this is helping me understand.
  • atlas46
    Hi @ilovecats

There are a number of grounds.

If @Dinkysaurus is considered an honest and reliable historian, of which I have no doubt whatsoever.

He explains he is always accompanied by someone, when undertaking a journey.

He has provided information about falls, including actual injuries being caused (knocked out front tooth).

The fact that I was awarded descriptor b in activity 1 and descriptor e in activity 2.

My issues are almost a mirror image of what has been reported.

For the benefit of doubt I quote from my report, what the assessor wrote to justify her descriptor choice, in activity 1.

”He reports ongoing spatial awareness problems when walking. He plans routes of journeys with support from his wife for their safety. This is consistent with informal observations noting he required support from his wife to attend the assessment centre. Additionally his further evidence of chronic back pain and spatial awareness difficulties indicates the probability of requiring prompts to reliably undertake a journey. It is reasonable to assume he requires prompts with the task demands.”

Hope this helps.

PS

Victory speech now drafted!!
  • atlas46
    ilovecats said:
    I’m not going to get into a back and forth. I’m pleased that your spatial awareness issues were rightly recognised for Activity 11. 

The OP does not indicate any sort of cognitive, sensory or issues relating to spatial awareness so they cannot score for them. 

They are accompanied for physical reasons relating to falls.
    Although he reports anxiety, this is relating to the act of falling and though he mentions panic attacks, in the absence of further information, he does not describe any symptoms associated with overwhelming psychological distress. 

I’m fairly confident that what they describe is relating to a physical condition so it should be scored under activity 12. Going on what the OP describes, he should be awarded 12E (enhanced mobility).

I don’t know if you’re aware but I used to be a PIP assessor and I’m fairly confident in the advice I am giving.
    Hi @ilovecats

We have to wait for @Dinkysaurus gets his assessment report to conclude matters.

Yes I did know you where a PIP assessor, as you have repeated that in a number of posts.

You have also told us you gained lawful employment as an NHS paramedic.

I don’t know if you are aware that I worked in various UK ambulance services for more than thirty years, ten of which was the highest level.

You might not be aware, that I was the lead researcher on behalf of the Stroke Association, looking at residual disability post stroke. This was a 5 year research project, the findings of which are still in clinical practice today.

You also might like to know, I represented the UK ambulances for over 5 years, at the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh).

I am also the proud holder of HRH Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

Never trust a book by its cover.
  • Dinkysaurus
    I have been reading all your comments...thank you as always. 

@atlas46 and @ilovecats thank you both for the service you have to the NHS. All the workers are worth their weight in gold. 

I had a fall today although good news its a pulled muscle in my back so nothing serious just another twinge to add to my ever-growing collection. 

Just to play devil's advocate here but there is a chance I could get 0 points. I've seen this a few times especially the DLA to PIP changes like mine is. Even though after reading through all the advice regarding filling in the form, concentrating on how it affects me rather than my actual illness, having a comprehensive statement from my GP  and the assessor who was very kind and patient and I didn't feel like I was being tricked. 

The thing I am a little worried about. Things keep coming back what was said in the assessment... she said are you under any consultants now? So remember this happened over 20 years ago. Over the years I have seen a Neurologist, Orthopaedics, physio, and a CPN.  The Neurologist did nerve conduction studies at yearly intervals with no improvement to the dead nerve. Orho told me that that the pressure on my hip and knee on my good side would worsen as I got older and I would probably be returning to see them in the future with more than likely joint replacements. So there is nothing further the hospital could do for me. I explained this to the assessor she nodded and typed some more. 

I am not the sort of person who would pester for another referral from my GP to the hospital. This is how I am and will still for the remainder of my life. I have had 20 years to get used to this fact, Obviously if it gets to the point I cannot use my " good " knee or hip then I will go to the doctor. 

Totally honest in my opinion I think I should get standard care and enhanced mobility reading the descriptors. But like you have said I will have to wait. 

As a side note. I had a Scope person visit today they were canvassing the neighbourhood. Very friendly chap.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    You did your best to answer questions. This is all you can do. Don’t get stressed. If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask questions us. 
  • Dinkysaurus
    I have my assessment report back.
     Care = Standard
    Mobility = Standard.

I will be doing a mandatory reconsideration when I get the final decision.  
    I had to do that for ESA too which was successful.

I will concentrate on where I disagree with the descriptors. However, she said I " arrived for the assessment alone ".  As stated above my son drove me my daughter accompanied me. My daughter would not stay with me in the room as the reason for my injury was during her birth and she gets so upset hearing how I struggle, blaming herself. And Im sorry but Im not subjecting my daughter to a circus performance that will upset her. This went against me.  She sat me down in the consultation room and I explained why she would wait outside. The nurse then called her back in afterwards to help me up and get back out. 
    So yes this does seems like I'm a bit aggrieved with the assessor but its something I need to add in my MR.  As it directly affects my ability to manage alone.

With regards to care... I got 8 points.  The bathing and toileting issues will be in my MR. I said above that I thought I would get standard care however I feel the 2 main ones for bathing and toilet were marked well down. Especially the bathing one. 

With regards to mobility 10 points ....  As I said above it was a short walk she said is that about as far as you can do? ( approx 6 metres ) I said yes she said it took you just under a minute. She gave me 10 for mobility stating that I can walk a full minute. I did but it was only 6 metres then I sat down!. She never mentioned just how far I walked. 

My daughter was pleased she said I looked well kept and of average build as my daughter does the cooking and sees to my dressing needs. She says at least Im doing ok. 

I won't turn it into a witch hunt against the assessor and will stick to challenging the descriptors. I now have time to get this all down while waiting for the official decision then I can do the MR. 
  • Dinkysaurus
    I would be really grateful if @poppy123456 could give me advice.

Thank you @ilovecats

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.