can apply for carers allowance, while on universal credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can apply for carers allowance, while on universal credit?

Options
joevans
joevans Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
  I started claiming  Universal Credits in Sept 2018, not by choice. When I then lost my Severe Disability Premium because of. Anyway what I would like to know is if I can apply for carers allowance? I have been told that I can and I should but obviously I am not sure on the matter? There fore I would be extremely appreciative if someone could me the correct information on if it is possible to claim carers if receiving universal credits? Thank You.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You can't claim carers allowance for looking after yourself. If you're looking after someone else for at least 35 hours per week and they claim a qualifying benefit then yes you can claim it but it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount.

If you are looking after someone then you can claim the carers element of UC BUT if you're claiming the LCWRA element in your UC then you won't be able to claim the carers element at the same time. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @joevans and a warm welcome to the community!

As Poppy mentioned, you aren't able to claim carers allowance or carers element for yourself.

If you're claiming it for another person that you care for, be aware that carers allowance is an overlapping benefit with Universal Credit so will be deducted from your UC award.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you any other questions. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.