DWP Calling your Home after Tribual win — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Calling your Home after Tribual win

WobblyGreg
WobblyGreg Community member Posts: 11 Connected
A few weeks back I won my Tribunal Appeal against DWP and was awarded Standard rate care and mobility (after previously being on full rate DLA).

Yesterday I received call that my daughter answered saying DWP wanted to discuss my appeal .
I checked last number called and it said called withheld number ?

They were men t to ring back but haven't .
Is this normal few weeks after for DWP to do this ?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @WobblyGreg, I would phone DWP and enquire about the odd phone call for your own piece of mind. 
  • davet
    davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    like wobblygreg I too would ring the DWP making a note of who you speak to(just in case) not only for your peace of mind but it also provides the opportunity to gloat a little
  • WobblyGreg
    Thanks for replies
    I may wait till tomorrow just give it another day.

I thought it was a bit dodgy tbh as mostly the DLA love to send mountains of paperwork and I can't ever remember them ringing before, it will be a way of checking on progress I guess .

I read on this site that money is usauly paid after about 6 weeks or so , so wasn't expecting anything before that .

I waited from August (failed pip assessment)last year till now so not desperate yet ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's perfectly normal for them to ring asking questions before paying you any backdated money owed. One of the questions they usually ask is "have you been in hospital" Best thing to do is ring them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WobblyGreg
    Thanks poppy
    They rang again I was out again lol
    Someone on my MS forum said it could be an outsourcing firm that rang her asking how her ESA appeal went 

I'm loathe to ring DWP I hate them so much and just think they'll take something else away !

• madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    They would probably ask if you had been in hospital to see if they could reduce your award because you needed less support when in hospital.
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP are not entitled to discuss your appeal award with you, so don't.  If DWP try to insist you discuss your appeal award, tell them they must ask the judge for a statement of reasons (SOR).  This is what they should do if they have a question about the tribunal's decision.
  • WobblyGreg
    Matilda 
    That's what I'd have thought tbh 
    If I'm in when they ring I'll say that.
    Thank you
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    DWP are not entitled to discuss your appeal award with you, so don't. 
    They ring to ask if you've been in hospital at any point because if you're in hospital for more than 28 days then you won't be entitled to PIP for that time. Once they ring asking this you know it won't be long before you're paid the backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • WobblyGreg
    Well they never rang again.

I tried the number the appeal letter gave me ,they gave me a number for DWP which was wrong .

I then read some one saying to never give your number and wait till DWP send you letter as you have paper trail.

In absence of number to contact DWP with I have given up I can't be arsed trying to find right number.
  • poppy123456
  • WobblyGreg
    Thank you poppy

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Like anything that is to do with the DWP, always get everything in writing. If the 'phone call was about the payment they will send you a letter.
    My mistake in the past was not following my own advice. I telephoned them years ago to tell them of a change of address. The next thing I knew was that they had stopped my payments (giros)  as they continued to send them to the old address and where returned as 'not known'. When I contacted them to find out what the problem was they denied ever having the telephone conversation with me!
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Well they never rang again.

I tried the number the appeal letter gave me ,they gave me a number for DWP which was wrong .

I then read some one saying to never give your number and wait till DWP send you letter as you have paper trail.

In absence of number to contact DWP with I have given up I can't be arsed trying to find right number.
    They'll usually try three times. If they can't contact you they send a letter.
    One thing they want to check is that your bank details on file are still current.
    Ringing you is the last stage before making payment.
    If you're ok waiting several weeks longer for your money just wait for the letter, complete the form with the details it asks for and post it back. If you aren't ok about waiting  that long then you're best ringing them.

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    The poster has already waited up to a year to get to the Tribunal stage, a few weeks more is here nor there.
  • poppy123456
    twonker said:
    The poster has already waited up to a year to get to the Tribunal stage, a few weeks more is here nor there.
    It most certainly does matter, especially when people are struggling to live because of their disability.
  • WobblyGreg
    As the poster who waited so long for the Tribunal i thank everyone for their imput .

But I will not on reflection ring the DWP as I really do not trust them and can honestly see them twisting or interpreting what I say wrongly. 

I have in the past dealt with large companies at grievance and complaint stages and I would always advice anyone in those cases to get written evidence.

The DWP are not to be trusted ..period.
    I will wait till they contact me.

Yes I want the money but I dont need more grief from DWP.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP go along with the tribunals' awards so they will pay you within eight weeks - unless they've asked judge for SOR - in which case you should receive a letter from DWP telling you so.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.