Panic attacks, anxiety, medication and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic attacks, anxiety, medication and PIP

sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
 I have several complex illnesses which affect my daily living and mobility. One of these is Bipolar forwhich I take Lamotrigine and Nortryptaline although the Nortryptaline also doubles as a pain killer. Last year I started to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. This has been discussed with my gp and my psychiatrist and as I am very reluctant to take any more medication than I already do (and I take quite a bit) it was decided that I would try and manage this myself (my choice) with breathing exercises and distraction etc. I like to try and help myself rather than rely on meds all the time. However, a few months ago I was struggling to control it but I am seeing my mental health support nurse at the end of June so I thought I would wait and woukd discuss it then. A few weeks ago I had my disastrous pip assessment. Two days later my assessor phoned to ask me what medication I take for my panic attacks and anxiety, as my cm wanted to know. I said Lamotrigine and Nortryptaline (which was prescribed as above).  Because I do not take or at least I don’t think I take actual medication for panic attacks and anxiety.  Will this go against me the fact that I’m not taking medication for my panic attacks and. Anxiety?  Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser and as I have been so mentally unwell recently my psychiatrist has suggested Lithium which I have refused due to its side effects as I want to try other avenues first, Since my pip assessment my panic attacks and anxiety have gone through the roof and I’m now being sick at just the thought of leaving the house. I have an appointment next week with my gp to discuss this. So much for trying to help yourself, the DWP undoes  any progress a claimant maybe making. By trying to help themselves or otherwise. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It shouldn't go against you although some may disagree. PIP is about how your conditions affect you not about a diagnosis. However, if a decision's been made then any worsening conditions won't be taken into consideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sheZZa, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Like Poppy has said, PIP is about how your condition affects you rather than any diagnosis. I wish you the very best of luck with the outcome and I hope your anxiety settles soon. If you need anything else then please don't hesitate to ask :)
    Scope

• sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    thank you. I just thought it was funny why she asked what medication I was on for my panic attacks and anxiety even though I had given a list of my medications. 
  • sheZZa
    @Chloe_Scope
    thank you. My panic attacks and anxiety are part of my Bipolar which has been the case since I first applied for pip in 2014. I was awarded enhanced both daily living and mobility then although that’s not to say I will now. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    You're very welcome! Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I hope you have a lovely afternoon :)
    Scope

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    sheZZa said:
    @poppy123456
    thank you. I just thought it was funny why she asked what medication I was on for my panic attacks and anxiety even though I had given a list of my medications. 
    Maybe she was looking to see if you had insight into your condition and treatment. The insight relates to the mental health assessment part.
  • sheZZa
    @twonker
    we didn’t discuss it really other than her asking what meds I was taking for it. The conversation was over the phone and finished quite quickly. She said that the case manager wanted to know and that she might be call me for another assessment and would that be okay. Th next day I had a text from the DWP saying that they had received the report. It all seemed rather strange. I do have insight into my condition and do all that I can to manage it but sometimes I need help. Fortunately my gp is very supportive and my psychiatrist is always on hand if I need her urgently too.
  • sheZZa
    @ilovecats
    thats good to hear. She had a list of all my meds. She only concentrated on the depressive side of bipolar. We did not discuss the manic side. It was obvious she had very little knowledge or understanding. Still I shall just have to wait and see. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    @sheZZa I've seen my report which I'm seriously annoyed about, the assessor has tried to make out I don't have mental health problems despite there being evidence, I'm not going to bore you with it but I made a post on the forums about it. It's made my health worse.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm very glad you have that support network around you @sheZZa! I wish you the very best of luck and have my fingers crossed for a good outcome :)
    Scope

• melissahicking2019
    melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    edited May 2019
    hi, my friend just won his tribunal and he gets only risperidome 1mg for mental health depression and his panic attacks. So no particular meds for panic attacks as such, but also my friend refusedto take meds up until a few month ago and has only just started to take them.

So at the time of assessment and appeal he was not on them.

hope this helps.

as long as you have good evidence to back up your application or appeal DWP or the tribunal will award you .

Mel. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this positive experience @melissahicking2019! :) So glad your friend won is tribunal!
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    That's good to read @melissahicking2019 wish my second assessor had been as understanding as the first one.
  • sheZZa
    @melissahicking2019
    I’m pleased to hear that your friend was successful. It gives me hope. Thank 
  • sheZZa
    @WF2k
    I think they aggravate  people’s mental illnesses and cause others to suffer who previously did not before their assessment. How can those lacking in experience, knowledge and understanding  of any disability and make an informed, accurate and honest assessment. It filled me with great confidence when my assessor told me that she had never heard of one of my disabilities. Not! 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    I agree, I'm actually going to buy some rescue remedy because my anxiety has been so bad, I can't go to the medical centre it's a 3 - 4 week for an appointment and the GP's lack understanding anyway. Plus I find it hard to go out.
  • sheZZa
    @WF2K
    I’m really sorry to hear how you’re feeling and this process causes so much added stress which you don’t need. Mental health illness is difficult to manage at the best of times and a 3-4 week wait to see your gp or psychiatrist seems forever when you’re desperate. Is it at all possible for you to change to another GP? Although that doesn’t mean that they will be any more understanding. I am extremely lucky with the support I get. If I can’t get an appointment my gp has told the receptionist to email her to say that I need to see her. She will then phone me and if needed I will see her no later than the next day. I hope you feel better soon x
  • [Deleted User]
    I've tried looking for a different medical centre and they either worse than the one I'm with or I'm out of their catchment area :( I even asked the practice manager of the medical centre where my previous GP is at if I could go there, she said I was too far out, which is a shame as my previous GP has been really supportive over the years.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    The days of having a nominated and regular GP are long gone. You are now more likely to see a locum than a GP that's if they agree that you can see a doctor in the first place. My surgery only offers appointments with a nurse. every time I have telephoned them.

Luckily your records are online so it doesn't really matter who you see.
  • [Deleted User]
    Mine aren't online though.. I've checked! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.