Experiences of AFO splints for my son? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Experiences of AFO splints for my son?

kiera1985
kiera1985 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Help!!! I have been given these and I feel they are far to big for my son, what do you guys have? Xxx

Comments

• Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Hi Keira, are they AFO's that he has? did they fit them in the clinic, they would know if they are too large as they are supposed to fit them accordingly. 

If they are Afo's, unfortunately, they are cumbersome and always very large and bulky, we just buy shoes that are a few sizes too big to accommodate this. 

My daughter always wore trousers that covered them until she was older and got used to them. 

They are really essential though in keeping the foot in the correct position- if they are not worn it can cause muscle contractures and ligaments to shorten- they are really important. 

Have you spoken to anyone in the orthotics clinic to see if there are alternatives?

• kiera1985
  • kiera1985
    They were given by physio and she didn’t measure him, she just said there off the shelf in his foot size (7) xx
  • kiera1985
    She just said there splints 
  • kiera1985
    She didn’t seem to know what she was doing, just said what do I think? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kiera1985, thank you for the picture. These do appear to be AFO splints, is there a strap around the top as well? Were you told whether they were to be worn at day or night? Most day splints are cast and therefore moulded to the persons foot. Night splints are easier to be off the shelf- I hope this makes sense!
    Scope

• kiera1985
    No upper strap, these were for day wear ??‍♀️ X
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for clarifying @kiera1985, if you don't believe they are working then you are okay to go back. Splints often need to be altered and a few tried to figure out which ones offer the right support. It is important that they do get worn, but if they aren't right then they won't have the full benefit anyway. In terms of finding shoes. When I was younger it was only trainers that would work, they had to be a few sizes bigger than my feet and if you take the insole of the shoe out it makes it deeper and easier for the splint to fit in. Also, with your son being younger, shoes will normally have velcro. If the velcro doesn't fully go over the top, the orthotics department can add extra velcro so the shoes can still be secure. I hope this helps!
    Scope

• kiera1985
    Thank you so much, feels like such a mind field x
  • Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @kiera1985! I can honestly relate to that! You learn what works and I've found the older I've got the easier it has been to find shoes. I'm now 21 years old and actually have quite a few pairs I can get away with wearing! Give them a go but don't be afraid to go back :)

If you need anything else at all then just let me know. Wishing you a lovely bank holiday weekend!
    Scope

• Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Hi @kiera1985, if I was you I would go back to physio, these are not fitting properly- the leg needs to be held in securely via a strap around the top- if I was you as physio clearly think he needs splints? when you see them next ask for a referral to orthotics- they are the professionals in this area. 

A night splint is usually off the shelf but not day ones, these as Chloe says are cast so that they can get correct positioning. 

Kate 

Brightness