ESA and pension amount — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and pension amount

chelseachris
chelseachris Community member Posts: 16 Connected
I am in the support group for contribution-based ESA and I also took my pension early at 55 from Royal Mail 2 years ago due to being ill health retired owing to an accident at work..What is the amount you can have per week from your pension before you are penalised..I got a letter out from Benefits case cleansing asking about the details of my pension.I told them 2 years ago how much I was receiving and was told I was under the threshold and it wouldn’t count..I presently receive £62.75 per week..

Regards Chris

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you 100% sure that your ESA is all Contributions based? As you're in the Support Group then the amount for CB ESA from 8th April 2019 is £111.65 per week. If this is what you receive then pension that's under £85 per week isn't counted.

If part of your ESA is Income Related (anything over the above amount) then your pension is counted £1 for £1 for the income related top up. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chelseachris
    No it’s been Contribution based since I was first on it in August 2016 and that is the amount I receive albeit £223.30 fortnightly....I have told them on a few occasions usually by phone of the pension amount I was in receipt  of and now this letter has come out today and it looks very threatening..
     Many thanks for your response..
    Regards Chris
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chelseachris
    That’s a bit of a bummer,my fear was that I was maybe overpaid as this is the 1st letter I have ever had from these people...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
  • chelseachris
    Fair play to you I hope it works out in your favour.Hopefully my pension falls below the threshold..
  • [Deleted User]
  • chelseachris
    No income related ESA as my wife works..That clears it up for me thanks,I will send them the info they need to keep them happy.
     Regards Chris
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    @chelseachris you are correct, the amount you're receiving is CB not Income related.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.