Great News Just a quick Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Great News Just a quick Question

Options
melissahicking2019
melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My friend recently won his PIP tribunal and was allowed his appeal and was given back his PIP higher rate and Lower rate mobilty Dating back until march 2018.

It has been a rollercoaster ride of uncertainty and worry but the time has now come for my friend to be awarded and receive payments.

My friend and i rand the PIP to ask about the progress and we are happy to be told that the process has been allocated to the person who adds up the total amount owed and awards the payment , we have been advised to keep checking the bank as payment is due shortly. within the next week. There is no SOR and no further appeals being made and we can expect payment very soon..,

Great news, My friend is over the moon and his attitude and well being has perked up considerably since being told this news , however we have one last question for all the lovely people who have helped us through this difficult time.

We are aware that there are a few complications in relation to my friend having a carer and we have decided that will will claim the server disability premiums this time round and everybody will do their best to help him out as often as possible.
And if a carer becomes an option or necessary we will make the necessary arrangements.

In the mean time. we have been told that once my friend has received his award notice and PIP begins again that we are to contact ESA and claim for the SDP.

We are however unsure as to when the payments will be backdated from.

Will the payments be backdated to the same date as his new PIP award, which was in march 2018

Or will the payments simply begin starting from the date of application without backpayments.

Obviously the backpayments would be considerable and we would hope that he be backdated to the beginning of his claim for PIP (march 2018)

If anybody can answer this question and confirm we are approaching this correctly we would be very great-full as this will finalize all our questions and worries and we can continue on with his progress and hopefully get him the help and care he needs permanently for the future.

My friend and i thank you all for your help.

MEL.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Payment for the SDP can be backdated to the date he qualified. If he was claiming PIP before March 2018 and no one was claiming carers allowance for him at that time then it can be backdated further than March 2018.

If someone was claiming carers allowance for looking after him before March 2018 then it will be backdated to this date only. He'll need to ring ESA to claim the SDP and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone, it takes just a few minutes.

He will need to wait for his PIP award to be in payment before he can claim SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • melissahicking2019
    melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    Options
    ok thank you poppy, i was his carer until January 2018 when i became seriously ill myself and became a stage 4 kidney patient. 

So i presume the claim for SDP will begin as of march 2018 when his new claim will begin.

Thank you very much for your help poppy. 

Mel.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. Were you receiving carers allowance for looking after him? Being his carer and receiving carers allowance are 2 different things as i previously mentioned in another thread.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.