What happens when you call 0800 917 2222 ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens when you call 0800 917 2222 ?

GettinOlde
GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
Is it menu driven or do you speak to a living person?
Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    you get a real person after a wait normally.  

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• GettinOlde
    Can you ask them to send a form on this number instead of having to write in and ask for one?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't write to DWP for a PIP form, you ring the number above which is the claims number. They will ask you some questions and then send you the PIP2 form. https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GettinOlde
    You don't write to DWP for a PIP form, you ring the number above which is the claims number. They will ask you some questions and then send you the PIP2 form. https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

So what does this mean?

Claim by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
    Post Handling Site B
    Wolverhampton
    WV99 1AH
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    If you can use the phone then you need to ring to start your claim, doing this they fill out the PIP1 form over the phone. It's a free number to ring.

Those that are unable to apply this way can write to DWP to ask for the PIP1 form to be sent to them but you need to give reasons why you can't apply by phone.

It's quicker to apply by phone for many reasons.... DWP may not receive the letter you send them, as this often happens. It can also take 10 working days for mail to uploaded onto the system, then another week to 10 days to receive the PIP1 form. Then you have to return that, so another 10 days. Once they receive that they will send you the PIP2 which is another week at least, maybe longer. All in all this can take in excess of 1 month.

To claim by phone takes less than 30 minutes. Most people claim by ringing the claims line.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-to-claim/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GettinOlde
    edited June 2019
    I am not confident talking over the phone, what if I miss giving some vital information? It's not like I can press an edit button.
    Waiting a few months is nothing considering I was told I should have claimed 12 years ago.
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    It's just basic information required at this PIP1 stage. 
    Specimen of the pip1 form and the questions you are asked.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/713113/pip1-claim-form.pdf

You’ll need to have this information when you call the DWP:

• your full name, address and phone number
    • your National Insurance number
    • your bank or building society account details 
    • contact details of your GP or other health professionals you deal with
    • the dates and details of any stays in hospital or residential care
    • your nationality or immigration status
    • if you’ve been abroad for more than 4 weeks at a time in the last 3 years (you’ll need the dates and details)

You’ll be asked if you have any conditions relating to your mental health, a learning difficulty or behavioural condition. These questions are asked to check if you need any additional help or support with your claim.

Then they send the PIP2 form to complete within one month of the date on the form. You can ask for an extension of two weeks as the form is dated the day you make the call and takes approx 2 weeks to arrive.

You can start collating your evidence and potential answers to the questions on the pip2 form.  

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• GettinOlde
    @buzzer Thank you for that detailed explanation, I feel a lot more confident now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.