Confused about about the assesses report saying because I drive I can get in and out of a bath — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused about about the assesses report saying because I drive I can get in and out of a bath

Options
Franny
Franny Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Could anyone help me with this I have been turned for pip on the fact that I can drive so I'm a able to get in and out of bath I have serve osteoarthritis in both knees and  can't physical get in or out not even to use shower as its over the bath my husband washers helps me he will do my bottom half and I do my top half he helps me Wash my hair I have to sit on a stool at the sink as not able to stand for very long due to serve pain so also not got any points in some other activities can any one help please so stressed

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

This happens alot because they say that if you can get into a car then you can get into the bath.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you haven't got a copy of the assessment report ring DWP to request this today. Avoid mentioning any lies or contradictions that maybe in the report because DWP and Tribunal won't be interested in any of those.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. Waiting times for hearings are huge across most of the country and some are waiting in excess of 1 year.

This link will help you find what's available in your area for face to face advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Franny. I'm sorry you feel your report doesn't accurately reflect your daily living. As Poppy said, your next step would be a Mandatory Reconsideration and it might be worth getting some face-to-face support for this. We do also have some information about this here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Franny and I'm sorry this isn't the outcome you had hoped for! If you need anything else then please do let us know :)
    Scope

• sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    Options
    @Franny
    i have several illnesses which are all debilitating. Due to fibromyalgia I have very little strength in my fingers, hands and wrists. I drop saucepans, cannot chop veg or open packets and often burn or cut myself so need assistance when preparing food. I shop online and can use a mobile even though I mostly speak into the microphone to write messages/emails or use a mobile phone pen etc. I was awarded 0 points on these descriptors as because I can very occasionally drive my car (with much pain and difficulty) I had no problems with dexterity. It appears that no one knows the difference between gross and fine motor skills. They use a tick box that suits all. Nobody is treated as an individual.
  • robt1066
    robt1066 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    Surely, is it not the robotic software that HCP's uuse (called PIPAT) which brings about these ludicrous connections? It would appear that HCP's don't even read the garbage which the software seems to spew out; i.e. do a common sense review of the outcome that the software produces.  
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember reading our report shocked. Despite me telling them he could not walk and needed assistance with toileting the report failed to mention this at all. My son’s first ever assessment report was also poorly written. You can use this tool at https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal to draft your appeal letter. Good luck and keep us updated! I managed to contest the decision with my son’s amazing social worker. 
  • robt1066
    Options
    I had read somewhere that you can ask to see what the HCP has written on the same day as a F2F and will be sent to Case Manager. Is this true? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can certainly ask to read what's written but don't be surprised if they refuse.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • robt1066
    Options
    lol But, surely this is a serious point. If it is a 'right' that a claimant has (i.e to see what's written) then there must be a procedure somewhere that says this -  I don't see it in the fictional pip assessment guide. If it is a 'right' then surely one can ask for it before the assessment. The HCP are i understand mainly self employed and paid on piece work, so in reality they can, or should, be easily over-ruled with a bit of forward planning.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I believe there was a long thread about this several months ago on here and the HCP's do not have to show you what is written during the assessment.
  • robt1066
    Options
    I will look into this and establish the legal position. It must happen sometimes otherwise why is it being discussed !? 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @robt1066 - my HCP refused to show me what she had written.

Personally I wouldn't worry about what the legal position is - my assessor didn't follow the 'guidelines' at all and I don't believe that Capita/ DWP are concerned about the law either. I complained about this and just got fobbed off.

Save the legal stuff for tribunal when you will be dealing with someone who knows about the law!
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    I was SO glad to hear they are considering doing a trial of video recording these assessments. it will stop a lot of the lies and possibly a lot of MR's/ tribunerals also!

• cristobal
    Options
    @pcoventry - will it?

I recorded mine - with consent - and it was still done very poorly.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    @cristobal well you would like to think so - but maybe not! - I am glad you did - did they still try and lie their arses off? 

Capita/ATOS do many things - ALL of them very poorly :(
  • cristobal
    Options
    @pcoventry - not really a case of lying but I did think that the procedure would have been followed, particularly when it was being recorded.

In brief - 'cos I've posted this before - various 'mistakes', procedure for the examination bit not followed, very poor interview technique in terms of open/closed questions, assumptions, and the assessor answering her own question. Some things were bizarre and just seemed to be made up.

On the positive side it turned out well in the end, and the majority of claimants have a much better experience...
  • robt1066
    Options
    It would appear that there are occasions (possibly many) where a HCP has not accurately logged a claimant's conditions and how their condition affects them in respect of specific PIP activities, most likely due to the limitations of the flawed software that HCP's use.

Say for example a claimant has only 4 daily living activities which are relevant to their circumstances. What would happen if a claimant pro-actively and assertively asks the HCP to confirm they have read in full the details of what has been read in this regard on the PIP form, and discuss that key aspect, as the interpretation thereof is what should justify the number of descriptor points scored. 

If the HCP has not adequately read the form (that can be determined by some simple questioning) then the claimant can surely pass them a copy of the relevant sections of the form and make sure it is read there and then. 

Yes, this may be a bit assertive, but if HCP's are not reading (or not adequately reading) what's written on the forms and merely relying on the software then that surely cannot be right . 

Finally I have a 2 way recording system which I plan to take in to my sister's assessment and record fact that such queries have been raised. 

Any thoughts? 
  • cristobal
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @robt1066 - hopefully this may answer your question..

I had my F2F at home, and gave the assessor some additional information. It was just under two pages of A4, and the procedure is that the assessor should read this.

I checked the recording - it was about 10 seconds from when I gave the material to her until she gave it back to me.

I've only had one assessment but based on that I wouldn't get too pushy. If I'd tried to get my assessor to follow the correct procedure the assessment would still be going now.

Most assessment seem to be OK. Go with the flow - and if you have problems take it to take it to a tribunal....
  • poppy123456
    Options
    robt1066 said:

Finally I have a 2 way recording system which I plan to take in to my sister's assessment and record fact that such queries have been raised. 

Any thoughts? 
    Your sister will need to ring the health assessment providers before the day of the assessment to tell them that she'll be recording the assessment. You will need to use the appropriate recording devices such as CD/cassette and record 2 copies, handing 1 copy in at the end of the assessment.
  • robt1066
    Options
    Yep, thx poppy aware of that. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.