Should I disclose my disability when starting a new job? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I disclose my disability when starting a new job?

Options
BrittanyIantha
BrittanyIantha Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2019 in Work and employment
I've never previously posted on any of these forums but I suffer from Bipolar and am having issues maintaining work. I start a new job this week and am looking for advice/ tips on  how best to approach the new job. Should I tell my employer about my illness or if something goes wrong how do I explain it best in order to keep my job? Any thoughts from others in a similar position would be much appreciated! 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BrittanyIantha and a very warm welcome to the community, it is great to have you here! :)
    What kind of job are you starting and how have you gone about this before?
    I can only suggest doing what you believe will make you feel comfortable but I can totally understand this being a tricky decision. I hope the community will be able to share their experiences with you.

Please do let me know if I can do anything else to help! :)
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @BrittanyIantha welcome to the community. Great to have you here. I would say it's completely up to you, but know that we're here for support should you need anything.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I would advise to disclose it if you feel able to do so. If your employer is aware they can support you but I do understand your concerns. I used to be a HR manager and have experienced supporting employees with bipolar and linking with organisations that support individuals to remain in employment helping both parties understand how best to support. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @BrittanyIantha

A very warm welcome.

Its is only a question that you can answer.

Has your bipolar had any impact, in previous employment situations?

Is there likely employment situations that could cause problems for you?

Have you got a copy of the staff handbook, this should outline how they deal with health & well being in the workplace.

Have your new employer’s got access to an Occupational Health service?

Hope this assists you, in deciding what is best for you.

In any event, I wish you all the best in your new appointment.
  • robt1066
    robt1066 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    Your employer cannot discriminate against you on the grounds of bi-polar. If you let them know of your condition then you are fully protected by the Equality Act from day one of your employment. In the UK you barely have any employment rights until you have been continuously employed for 2 yrs, so to have protection from discrimination under the Equality Act can be very useful if your employer were to ever treat you unfavourably, in particular in respect of your condition. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Living with an invisible disability can be difficult in all daily circumstances.
    If you do not tell your employer about the nature of  your invisible disability, then your employer is not able to provide any accommodations. The other main problem is that many employers tend want to ignore those of us who have invisiible disabilities as it means that they will have make the support accommodations we need. All part of the world of disability discrimination in the work place, such is the corrupt society we live in. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is up to you. If your condition or impairment would negatively affect your ability I recommend being honest. They might understand. 
  • robt1066
    robt1066 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options

@BrittanyIantha.` The law is (or should be) there to protect you. 

Brightness