Do you find that all of a sudden your mind goes blank? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you find that all of a sudden your mind goes blank?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
Does this happen often?
Are  there certain things that may trigger this to happen?

How do you deal with this situation? Do you become instantly angry or upset with yourself or people around you?
Do you get support?
What strategies can you suggest to others who may be experiencing this issue?

Comments

• humble_rumble
    humble_rumble Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I do get that sometimes. it mostly happens to me it I havent slept well or eaten well.  It can also happen when I feel anxious.

When it happens at work we normally laugh it out and it goes smoothly. normally blame it on work pressure :). I think I have very understanding  colleagues.

I'd say don't take it too seriously. it happens with everyone. if it is bothering you and causing you extra distress I suggest you speak to your GP about it especially if it has started suddenly 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33   Thank you for sharing with the community.

Memory problems not remembering, forgetting often are the signs of anxiety or depression.

I have senior moments I call them as I age older. Often can be frustrating, annoying, upsetting and emotional.

Stress always plays a part here.

Solutions I have found. Use a diary for highlighting tasks and duties. Schedule and plan have reminders constantly.

I would also add speak to your GP if problems persist or you think they are causing you problems.

One way to help yourself to remember peoples names for example is to give each one a tag.   That is associated with their real name.

Does help.  Same with pin numbers and passwords always forgetting them.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tammyjane33
    @thespiceman thankyou for your helpful tips. I just like to know if there are people experiencing these issues. I've had this happen to me before and it's not nice but I have gained control over it now and set alarmsand reminders on my phone to help me remember appointment dates etc. Thanks again 
  • Tammyjane33
    @humble_rumble thankyou for your feedback. I've noticed it happened when I changed medication I'm ok now. I was just seeing if anyone else has experienced this issue. It's great to know that you have understanding people around you. I like the idea of giving people a tag that is associated with their name that's a very good  tip :) 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tammyjane33 I don't have a good memory to begin with, and have moments where my mind goes blank and will not recall something I know very well. It can be a bit embarrassing at work when talking to a customer and it happens, especially when I have already used the word. 

At home it is a huge source of humour. I will just substitute the word for the first thing comes in my mind, and I have a weird mind. Have we got a not frog?  - cucumber. Then we play a game where I try and get from where I started to where they know what I am asking.

I don't see the point in getting angry or frustrated by it, when talking to customers I usually just apologise and move on and will follow up the conversation with an email or letter where I can use the correct term.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Tammyjane33
    @Geoarki thank you for your reply. I think it's brilliant that you use humour as a way of dealing with it, I do that too. I laugh at myself quite alot. ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33   I think what is right is here is to give some reassurance you not alone with this situation.

As my friend @Geoark says use word association.. Also a useful tip.

I do have come with some amazing ones for support staff who I have been a clientele of usually mental health charities.

In fact first day of enrolment they do a word game around the support meeting.

Associated around your first name.

Please can I add also do some memory training like puzzles, crosswords, word games.  A suggestion.

I listen to the songs of my youth and lots of the old stuff reason helps with recounting memory and words.

With addiction comes the drug Thiamine which you take to prevent dementia.  As alcohol destroys the memory.  

Please any concerns as I know it can be destressing speak to your GP. I wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness