Struggling waiting for backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling waiting for backpay

Fibro_Pincess
Fibro_Pincess Community member Posts: 14 Listener
I won my tribunial on June 11th, I was told when I called after 4 weeks, that all would be sorted by the 19th July.  

I called today to see if there is any chance of it being sorted for tomorrow.

Was told no payments are going through into my account, and I was given another phone number 01253 number. This was direct to the appeals team.

When they answered and I explained they immediately told me I shouldn't have had the number as they don't take phonecalls. I had to call the helpline back and get answers that way.

As you can imagine sitting home everyday waiting for my backpay is distressing as it is. 

Mentally, I am not doing well at all, physically I am exhausted. 

When I called the second time I broke down into tears and asked for any way to rush the process because I have rent to pay 

I realise I am not alone, but this whole system really doesn't help matters.

If I'm given a date. It should be that date. 

I'm just waiting for my money which is ironic because you can guarantee if I owe the DWP, they won't accept 11 months wait!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Fibro_Pincess, that's great news that you won the tribunal, but I'm sorry they have not managed to sort the back-payments out yet. I understand this is extremely frustrating and stressful. I really do hope they are able to sort it out soon!
    Scope

• pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    I know what you mean - I waited 14 weeks to hear of my PIP and then 2 weeks to sort the payment out due to an error which I admit was my fault. I lived on 8p beans from the wholesalers for 5 weeks. Literally that was my 3 meals a day - oh tell a lie I found £1 down the back of the sofa and got some bread too for a treat about 2 weeks ago.

When I got my backpay I went out and spent £12 on a slap up meal at the Harvester - it was like Xmas in July! 

Sad I know! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It can take 8 weeks to receive backdated money after a Tribunal win. Unfortunately, there's nothing more you can do until you hear from DWP. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. Once payment is sent it takes 3-4 working days to go into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fibro_Pincess
    Fibro_Pincess Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I've spent the past week calling and chasing them up.

Friday I spoke to the appeals team who told me they would personally action it that day.

Called again today for an update... Nothing was done!

They owe me close to £3000 I can't afford to keep waiting for it. 

I keep holding off on being excited for my Birthday next month as we were hoping to go to Disneyland Paris...

Guess I will have to wait and see if the DWP will allow me to have my money by then ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.