Shopping Deliveries — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shopping Deliveries

ToastedSandwich
ToastedSandwich Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Well, I’ve just been told that Tesco are going to be following Asda in banning the delivery of shopping in carrier bags. I appreciate the reasoning behind this but i can see this having repercussions for the disabled. In my case I can cope with picking up the bags on delivery but having to bag the items from the delivery crate is going to cause me severe pain. A friend who is wheelchair bound happily picks up the carrier bags on delivery but has no practical way to transport items from the crates to bags. With the bagged items then, like myself, he is happy to put away goods over time.

Having the crates delivered to a different area is neither here nor there as then the driver will need to wait for quite a while as items removed from crates to cupboards etc.

When shopping deliveries started it was a godsend but I see this as a definite backward step for those with mobility issues. Very sad.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    Curious how this will affect those in accommodation that's not been adapted or is less accessible. I know one of the gentlemen who delivers our shopping outright refuses to carry the crates up flights of stairs, so taking potentially hundreds of individual items upstairs isn't going to be much fun.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this @ToastedSandwich and welcome to the community! When I lived in student halls I always got my food delivered! I have no idea what I would have done without the bags... like you say, they don't seem to have full thought this through for disabled people.

If I may ask... What is your favourite toasted sandwich?
    Scope

• ToastedSandwich
    edited July 2019

If I may ask... What is your favourite toasted sandwich?
    When I feel indulgent I use a Caramalised Onion and Rioja cheddar. When I’m feeling poor nothing beats a straightforward vintage cheddar with tomato although I have to be careful not to burn my mouth on those pesky toms. I will also add chillies or a chilli sauce anytime I can.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Oooo that sounds very nice! I fancy a cheese toasted sandwich now! @thespiceman loves food recipes, I wonder what they would have?!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ToastedSandwich   Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this.  Please may I explain.

I subscribe to the delivery service.  You can call or ask on your order please note I am disabled need a hand with unpacking from crates.

When you go on line right at the bottom of the page. Ask any thing we need to know about.  When you book a time slot.

This is something I am aware of.  No plastic bags you still get paper ones for your fruit and veggies plus plastic bags for items like meat products.

I know because every time the delivery driver calls .  Asks do you need a hand unpacking.?

I have the delivery driver just put the crates in the front room or near to the kitchen and we unpack together.

Please may I suggest speak to Customer service they will be willing to help you.  Explain might need a lot longer. To unpack.

I put on my order call if early happy to be delivered .  If outside my time slot.

Another solution split the shopping in two one part of the month then another part of the month.

I do .  Does help.

Hope that helps you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Simple toasted cheese sandwich.

You need one frying pan. Two slices of bread.  Grated cheese and Mayonnaise and Dijon Mustard a teaspoon of each.

Make sandwich add Mayonnaise and Dijon Mustard to grated cheese any mix and spread on.

I use Mozzarella grated with Cheddar or Gruyere.  Do not slice leave

Toast in the frying pan add one knob of butter let it sizzle first side let it brown.  Turn over spatula careful. Toast other side.

Remove should be oozing and slice.

Serve with salad or Coleslaw.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • ToastedSandwich
    Thanks @thespiceman Asda will be going bagless at the end of the month, Tesco are currently trialling it. I shall make a point of doing an Asda shop at end of month to see how it pans out using your advice. To be fair my Tesco delivery staff have always been helpful but having to empty a couple of crates maybe a touch too much if the stores don’t have a policy.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully these home delivery companies will find a way round this for those who are disabled or require this service. As for the delivery driver who refused to go up stairs in flats had better look for another job because they are supplied with a  three wheeled trolley suitable for stairs.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @ToastedSandwich   Thanks very much for reply.  I hope I helped.

Wanted to add further the driver who deliver do take in consideration about the weight of shopping have trolleys.

I know been to my home using a trolley. I would also look at any thing like their conditions and services they offers. Terms.

One final thing I am sure you like me . Think of these delivery drivers I do when visiting. So open my gates and anything they need to gain access.

I would also subscribe to WHICH magazine has a lot of information on consumer advice and shopping especially the number of stars they give to supermarkets.

Who is the best the worst and so on..

Plus additional information, guidance on a number of certain aspects of living and consumer.

Most of it lately environmental. I am aware of the harm plastics are doing the planet.

You could an idea for you when delivering to your home use a environmental friendly bag .  Fill that up.  From the crate and then to your store cupboard.  Just a thought might save some time.

Take care.

@thespiceman  
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Just a thought.
    Pay a small rental charge per crate, empty at your leisure. Next delivery, drivers swaps new crates for emty ones
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    My son is a manager on the logistics side of Asda....he does not reckon they will go through this ( in Scotland at least) ....although one of the delivery van drivers reckon it could well go ahead as they have been time trialed for it ?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I do some of my food shopping at my local farmer markets. Every time I have a eco friendly bag for things I purchase. Whenever I come out of the supermarket I either carry the items in my hand or just use one of the baskets provided for customers. I prefer to buy only healthy items. Since I love talking to people I don’t use a home delivery service. 
  • ToastedSandwich
    My Asda has confirmed, that they no longer deliver with bags from end of this month. Maybe my area  (in Wales) is one of those test areas.
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    I have received notification that plastic bags will be stopping shortly and have been a little concerned. The email did say they would help put things in the kitchen although I don't know how I feel about that.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope

I don't know which company you use but Tesco state that they will deliver to kitchen.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Tesco have not considered disabled customers.  They will deliver to my front door where I'll have large bags waiting to transfer crate contents into.  Time consuming but probably most disabled people could manage this. Then gradually transfer contents to kitchen.

Delivery drivers will be behind with their schedules!  As transfer from crates will take time for disabled and non disabled alike!

Maybe Tesco will have to bring back bags!
  • jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    @ToastedSandwich- I live in a flat with 12 steps ,and I  put a short note in box provided after making my shopping order asking if the driver would bring my shopping up into my flat as I too am so disabled ,the driver always obliges my request ,and as @spiceman says both me and the driver unload the goods together onto my kitchen table,me and the driver  chat about putting the world to rights while we do it, It bucks my day up ,who needs plastic bags when you have can have a nice 2 min chat with a another human being.
    Hope this comment helps ,

• siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    I can't shop in dribs and drabs every day for four of us. I have mental ill health problems that mean I would just not eat rather than shop. I am also a time-poor physically disabled student and I also have children to pick up from school and look after. I don't drive, live in a village and use a powerchair in what seems like Britain's most inaccessible town. Grocery deliveries are a godsend for me and I really dislike it when people try to tell me they are for lazy or disorganised people. If you enjoy shopping that's great. Also wheelchair trolleys don't fit on my chair so even if I could get there and have enough time and energy, I would have to shop at home or get someone to help.

We tend to do a big shop of non perishables, cat food and cleaning products once a month and then 2-3 smaller shops of fresh stuff throughout the month. The big shop would mean the driver is there for an hour while I take it out.

Usually they bring the crates to the door and my partner takes the bags to the kitchen. We have quite a nice home and I don't mind someone bringing crates in but my partner has agoraphobia and social anxiety and does not like visitors. If it were up to him he would never answer the door or even open curtains. He is ok with taking the bags to the kitchen and closing the door but I don't think he could cope with someone being there while he took every item out of the baskets. I suspect there are a lot of people for whom their home is their sanctuary and they do not invite people in. There may be people that, for whatever reason, do not want people to come in and judge the way that they live. A few years ago I was a single person, at working and out all day so when I couldn't afford furniture and carpets my flat just had a bed and packing boxes and I didn't have anyone come round. I just used to sleep and eat there and would have been mortified at the thought of someone coming in.

My neighbour purportedly has mental ill health and the only time he answers the door is to the Asda and Amazon delivery people but nobody ever leaves or goes in.

I don't like the plastic bags but Co-op bags are now compostable like the ones used in kitchen caddies and they could use those, or else deliver in lightweight cardboard boxes. I believe that Morrisons or Ocado had a scheme where you give the bags back to the driver on your next delivery and they could do that with boxes or bags.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Matilda said:
    @Adrian_Scope

I don't know which company you use but Tesco state that they will deliver to kitchen.

Thanks @Matilda. I will bear that in mind next time a certain someone refuses.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    Hello  @Matilda    I had a delivery of shopping last week from TESCO.

Spoke to the delivery driver this issue of no bags.  They will continue to put certain items in paper bags.

Such as fruit and vegetables we can dispose of those in our recycling.

Plastic bags are issued for produce for meat and fish and certain items. That will be continued.  No charge . As they do that any way.

You can give back the plastic bags.

You could contact the Customer Service Helpline for groceries .

0800 917 6906

Calls free from a BT landline.

or 330 123 4055 calls charged.

Monday to Saturday 7am to 11pm Sunday 10.00 am to 10.00pm.

I am sure if you did talk to them. Be happy to oblige.

Also when placing an order put on the bottom of any order instructions .

What problems that you may need help with.

I always book a certain time because that is flexible both for me and the driver .  You could add that.

I also like the general chat and help from the delivery drivers. After all there doing me  a service much appreciated.

Know have any problems contact the numbers.

I hope that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness