PIP and council tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and council tax

Cressida
Cressida Community member Posts: 1,015 Pioneering
Hello I am a new member and have been a 'lurker' for some time. I have recently applied for PIP and just received the copy of the assessment form (not the decision letter). As far as I can see I have been awarded 8 points which I believe is standard rate. I know I will need to wait for the official decision but if I am in receipt of PIP dla would I be able to claim any other benefits? I work full time and I have never claimed any benefits before. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It may entitle you to extra council tax reduction. For anything else such as discount for road tax, disabled persons rail card etc it will depend whether it's mobility or daily living you'll receive. This link may help. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/extra-help-pip-entitles-you-to/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Thank you @poppy123456 I will check the link. The points are for daily living allowance. The whole process of claiming has taken such a lot of emotional energy that I cannot quite believe that I may have actually qualified. I have lived with a sometimes debilitating health problem for nearly 30 years and as I have always managed to work full time I didn't actually know that I would be entitled to claim any benefits. Unfortunately things have got a lot worse over the last 5 years and on the advice of a friend I decided to try for PIP. I must say without the help and advice of others I don't think I would have been successful. Thank you for your interesting and helpful contribution to these boards. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. The CEA card is also useful if you like the cinema as it allows you to take a carer with you free.

If you claim working tax credits then you'll be able to claim the disabled element of this https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-element Unfortunately, if you don't already claim working tax credits then you won't be able to start a new claim because it no longer exists. Universal Credit has replaced this and a PIP award doesn't automatically entitle you to claim this.

As it is not the daily living award then you won't be entitled to 50% road tax reduction or an automatic entitlement to a blue badge.

You will of course need to wait for the decision but they mostly go with the report.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cressida
    @poppy123456 thank you for the information about the CEA card. I will definitely look into this. If my decision letter agrees with the assessor report is it usually the case that the payment will be backdated to the date of receipt of my original claim? Is PIP normally paid in advance or in errors? Thanks again for any information. 

• poppy123456
    It will also entitle a carer free entry into some attractions but for this you'll need to look at each individual website. All you'll need on the day is proof of your PIP award.

It's backdated to the date you rang to start your claim and it's paid 4 weeks in arrears. Standard rate daily living is £234.80 every 4 weeks.
  • Cressida
    Hello @poppy123456 would you mind answering answering a query by pm. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that yet though as I may have to post a certain number of times. No problem if you'd rather not but I feel a bit exposed on here!

• poppy123456
    I wouldn't mind at all and would be happy to help but unfortunately you need to make 25 posts before you can send a PM.
  • Cressida
    Thanks thanks again @poppy123456. I don’t think that will take me long ?
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Cressida I get enhanced living and standard mobility. I got a letter saying I was the person responsible for CT but as PIP was running I was expect. I also understand anyone living in the same house as someone getting PIP is also exempt - as it's the house not the occupants. 

I get £54 on top of my housing benefit - this is the "premium" and anything you claim which has a premium it's auto added so no need to make another claim. I also have the CEA card very good it is. They got my claim form on 23rd March I was back paid from the 25th of March to the 3rd of July which was the day they awarded me. 
  • Cressida
    pcoventry said:
    Hi @Cressida I get enhanced living and standard mobility. I got a letter saying I was the person responsible for CT but as PIP was running I was expect. I also understand anyone living in the same house as someone getting PIP is also exempt - as it's the house not the occupants. 
    @pcoventry thanks for your reply. I wonder if that is because you get enhanced living and standard mobility. I only seem to qualify for daily living and from what I have read the council will reduce your payment to the band below what you are paying but only if you have made significant alterations to the property due to your disability? I'm no sure if that is correct though. I also think it may vary from area to area. 

• poppy123456
    All local councils have their own criteria for council tax so you will need to contact them once you've received the PIP decision.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Www.ceacard.co.uk

For the cinema card  good luck
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Unfortunately, some councils (like mine) have made it really difficult to get CT reduction. Check yours and give them a call?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    I wouldn't mind at all and would be happy to help but unfortunately you need to make 25 posts before you can send a PM.
    Hi @poppy123456 and @Cressida, one way around this is if Poppy sends you a PM first (it lets you reply to PMs but not instigate them before you're at 25 points).
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cressida
    @Adrian_Scope thanks very much for this. @poppy123456 if you are happy to do this that would be great! No worries if not. 

• poppy123456
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope i didn't realise that. @Cressida all done :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.