Has anyone tried reading or practicing mindfulness if so has this helped you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone tried reading or practicing mindfulness if so has this helped you?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I have read self help books and written in mindfulness journals sometimes for me they can be useful . Depending on my pain score and my mood on the day. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33 Sorry the friendly @thespiceman again.

One useful suggestion is to build up a library of reference books around your condition you have.

Looking at charity shops often useful here.  Look at websites anything useful to print off be a resource.

I have a folder of and a library of books around diet, nutritional and lots of alternative therapies.  Another good source is Amazon.  

Treat for you every now and again .  By the way a good website is the B.B.C. on anything health, diet, nutrition any thing like mental health.

Anything I can help with please ask always happy to share.

I am not a Doctor but know research and information on certain aspects of diet, nutrition might ease any thing you can cope with.

Have done mindfulness and CBT not for me. Use instead a lot of Classic FM CD's have a whole range on Amazon.  Meditation and self hypnosis  things I use.

It is Classical music but with relaxation themes. Not high brow very soothing.  Have a look.

Apologise answering a lot of your posts today just having a Saturday on here seems to the only one at the moment.

Supporting the forum and any one who needs it as community champion.

Speak soon I hope.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I am considering a mindfulness course. I love reading and art I find them therapeutic and relaxing. Relaxation CDs are a good idea. Have you researched meditation techniques or not? I love self help booklets and books too. I often meditate in bed at night it helps me de stress. 
    For more information please visit these links
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/
    https://bemindful.co.uk/
    Meditation is good for the soul. Perhaps you should check to see if you can take a online meditation course? 

• Tammyjane33
    I'm on here as a champion too @thespiceman so all your comments and others are greatly appreciated. 
  • Tammyjane33
    @April2018mom I too think it's therapeutic. Thankyou for your link. It's very helpful :) 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    I tried to read Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Full Catastrophe Living, after reading about it on the web. It's a huge book, and I simply didn't have the required concentration, alas. 
    My Mum bought me an audiobook copy of it a year later, and I got on much better with that. Still had to rewind constantly and listen again, but I eventually made it through. 

Great book, really good author. I found that I don't have the concentration to practice mindfulness when I'm not moving - anxiety, C-PTSD, pain, etc. interfere. However, I watched a TED talk (no idea of name, sorry) which advised that for people like me, "moving mindfulness" might be useful.

So when I wash my hands, I focus on what the water feels like running over my skin, how slippery the soap is, etc. If I'm trying to walk somewhere and the pain is stopping me, I pause for a rest and whatever my hands are touching, I focus on how it feels - rough? Smooth? What kind of edges? Is it cooler than the air or warmer? If there's a flowering bush, I focus on the scent. Sometimes I just feel the breeze on my face, if nothing else interesting is available.

Even if I'm not able to move (I'm bedbound some of the time) I'll move around the bed as much as I can and see if things smell different. Where my kitty sleeps smells like him. My pillow smells like lavender (I use a lavender spray). Closer to the window smells more like rain/garden/the railway. *I don't do this when I haven't showered or changed sheets recently-depressing.

It seems to help, unless my pain, anxiety or intruding memories/thoughts are really bad.
  • Tammyjane33
    @Elsey66 thankyou for your reply. Its great running and exercise has helped for you. Thank you so much for your feedback 
  • Tammyjane33
    @Waylay thank you for your feedback.
    The book you have listed
    "Full Catastrophe Living sounds very interesting. Thankyou so much for sharing about your strategies on coping with pain, that's something I might give a try. :)

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Tammyjane33 No prob! Glad it made sense and you found it helpful!

Brightness