Dla ending just been told to apply for pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla ending just been told to apply for pip

wobblylegs
wobblylegs Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. I'm feeling sick today. I have just called pip line to apply for pip as I have been told my indefinite dla award will end on 31st of this month. I'm dreading this so much. I have a mobility car which is my lifeline. I am terrified of being turned down for pip. There are so many stories of people getting refused pip afte originallyr receiving dla at highest rates indefinitely. Can anyone advise me at all 're what to be putting on my forms. I have spinal cord injury called Cauda Equina syndrome.Cervical Transverse myelitis. Peripheral neuropathy.Pernicious anaemia. Hypothyroidism. Depression.chronic pain in back pelvisand limbs . Crohns disease.oesophagal HERNIA requiring resection surgery....currently awaiting date for surgery for trapeziectomy following a fall downstairs.GORD. arthritic spine disc degeneration. Foot drop. neurogenic bowel and bladder requiring self catheterization for both. I cant get oit without my car. Im so dependant for all my appts and shopping and seeing family. I'm so worried I'll be refused and lose my car and then I'll be isolated and I don't know who to get help from. I'm under lots of clinics should I put them all on pip2 form?. What are other people's experiences please . Can you share them  tia ? Heidi x

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @wobbleylegs,  Hello and welcome, firstly remember as with DLA your award was based around your disability and diagnosis but with PIP the criteria is about your abilities to preform the PIP descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner for most of your daily life (50%) and when you fill in the application form you are asked to write answers to each descriptors about your abilities in relation to each descriptor on your abilities to, or not preform the descriptors, and any answers you submit with you application form will have to be justified at your assessment.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is a mess
    Check out this link for more information on how to complete the form. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

Give examples. As many as possible. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wobblylegs and a warm welcome to the community on this very sunny day!

I understand how stressful and daunting this can be, especially with the security of the current DLA award.

Please do bare in mind that DLA and PIP are completely different awards, but this does not mean it's not possible to score highly on both of them.

It's important to know that PIP does not look at the diagnosis, but how you are affected on a daily basis.

@April2018mom has kindly attached the descriptors, these are the things you will be tested against.

When gaining evidence, it is helpful if they too mirror the descriptors and say how it affects you. It's also useful to keep a diary which can help you to show the different aspects of your life.

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, then please do not hesitate to ask! :)
    Scope

• wobblylegs
    wobblylegs Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Thankyou so much each of you for your advice and help. I think I need to actually sit down and write everything out for myself that I can and can't do and how much various tasks are so hard to complete. E.g. getting feet in pants and socks n shoes...... nightmare!!!. I'll look at the list April sent as well that's really helpful. Thankyou again... I will keep you posted how it's going etc xxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all @wobblylegs! Please do keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions. A lot of members have been through the process so will be able to advise.

You may also benefit from seeking face to face advice. You can find somewhere local to you by using this website: https://advicelocal.uk/
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I just returned my PIP claim. I was on DLA indefinitely for 19 years and like you, dreaded PIP.

But as others have said, PIP is more concerned with your abilities, or lack of, and any help or equipment you need to do certain  activities. It may help you to look at the PIP self help test. I did it a few times to see how I may score.

The claim form doesn`t follow the self test exactly, but it does help.

I sent my form of by recorded delivery and tracked it today and it did arrive ok. I sent evidence with it as follows;

6 neuro visits to hospital and outcomes letters

1 letter from neuro with overall resume

Social Services care assessment plan

copy of district nurse visits to change my catheter

review officer`s letter for care

2 letters from 2 carers

I`m trying not to panic about what`s to come.
    much love xxx

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    Surprised I have to keep posting this but anyway...

Start here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56365/pip-form-filling#latest
    Many people who come to a forum asking for advice will not think of searching a forum before asking their questions, doesn't matter how many times you post that link the questions will continue to be asked. In exactly the same way that we will always get the "how long for a decision question"

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    This post is always a really useful resource to link to @Username_removed and it is often posted to members asking these types of questions. However, members old and new are encouraged to ask questions. Not everyone finds it easy to find information for themselves and as Poppy points out, not everyone will automatically think to use the website search function.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.