STORECUPBOARD STAPLES AND STANDBYS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

STORECUPBOARD STAPLES AND STANDBYS

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one as I have been adding my recipes and ideas to the forum.

Thought talk about store cupboard staples and standbys those ingredients I have to make simple easy meals a lot easier.

I thought start off with Tinned Pulses. Use all the time Cannellini Beans, Chickpeas and Borlotti Beans drained ideal for using in any meat dishes or simple soups or that left over half jar of Pasta Sauce.

Toast a piece of bread top with warmed through Beans for another take on Beans on Toast using the half jar Pasta sauce top with grilled Bacon or some Poached Eggs.

Pasta always have a variety of shapes and sizes. Great not only for the obvious the Pasta dishes I do but if your doing a one pot add Pasta to it . Helps to bulk out the stew or Casserole or Ragu.

To use as you would salted water then drain to the stew or casserole or Ragu add at the end and warm through

Broken pieces of Spaghetti in a tea towel break up and add to soup or stew or Ragu or Casserole.

Dried Fruit much dried fruit has Sugar in it but is useful for sweets and puddings with Rice Pudding or custard.  Just rehydrate with boiling water cover and drain. I buy Prunes great in the morning with Yoghurt and Cinnamon .

Buy also dried Apples useful for an instant pudding or sweet great with Rice Pudding.

Jars Pasta sauce I buy the Italian brands.  Useful many times for instant meals and not only Pasta. I use them for adding to another of my staples.

Tinned Plum Tomatoes and Cherry ones .  Jars and cartons of Passata instant pasta sauce or soup.  Buy Italian brands always pay a little more for my tomato products.

The anti pasti jars. Roasted Red Peppers and mixed Peppers but anti pasti Mushrooms drained into a blender with Pasta sauce makes a Mushroom Pasta sauce.

Anti Pasti jars many types usually Artichokes, Mixed Peppers as well as Roasted Red Peppers.

My spices and herbs.  The main ones I use are Chilli Flakes, Cinnamon,  Fennel Seeds, Bay Leaves, Thyme,  Rosemary, Garlic Powder or granules.  Oregano, Parsley, Basil dried because mixed together great in Pasta.

Instant Pasta sauce mix.

There  are mine so what are your favourite store cupboard standbys?.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for this @thespiceman!

I always have kidney beans, as a vegetarian they can go in anything! Also, can't go wrong with some potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    Hello @Chloe_Scope.  Thanks for sharing.   Great like Kidney beans.

Have used them as a veggie curry instead of Chickpeas.

Just simple Onions, Potatoes.  With Frozen Spinach.  Defrosted.

Curry powder or your favourite jar of Curry paste. I like the Balti one.  Use a tablespoon of that.

Serve with Rice buy the microwave ones.  Whole grain varieties.

Add in Tin chopped Tomatoes.

Simple easy and no fuss.

Who wants to eat a take away.   Far easier make your own.

I forgot in dark Winter Months replace Potatoes with Butternut Squash. Some supermarkets sell it frozen already diced for you.

Hope you enjoy your meal.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    I do! I think they all go really well together! Butternut squash is a great idea!
    Scope

• GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    Great like Kidney beans.

Have used them as a veggie curry instead of Chickpeas.

Yep, love kidney beans. I also like chickpeas but they tend to be tougher in my experience.
    I can't eat curries and chilly etc. if they are too spicy as it gives me painfully gut-wrenching hiccups.
    Oh, and I have that DNA that makes coriander taste revolting.
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a vegetarian but I love pumpkin pie. I also enjoy a mild pumpkin curry too.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chickpeas are always good, but I agree with you on that one!
    Scope

• GettinOlde
    @thespiceman Do you, or anyone else, have a simple recipe and method for making a vegetable biriyani?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @GettinOlde   Thank you for you post. Sorry to hear experiencing problems with eating Curries anything spicy.

Please may I give some useful tips and tricks always helpful.

First always measure spices buy plastic measuring spoons.  When adding just add a touch of water to the pot.

Whole spices like Cumin or Coriander seeds need to toasted panfry. A few seconds then to a spice mill.

Onions when adding cook them out sear them and slightly colour them.  Use a food processor slicer attachment makes Onions thin and easy to cook.

Use any Spices must cook them out. Few minutes. Take coat meat or vegetables in Spices.  Then add drop of water . All Spices have oils in them.

Heat this helps them to bring out the oils. 

Certain Spices always should be used .  Calms the stomach has also antibacterial properties.

Turmeric in a small quantity I use one quarter teaspoon very strong and is used for colour.

Cumin, Coriander and Cinnamon the same as above any of those.  Helps digestion.  Cumin especially .

Ginger and Fennel Seeds.  Also antibacterial properties Ginger has Fennel Seeds for digestion.

Coriander is the herb of choice but not necessarily so.  Do not like it use Parsley or Basil.

You could do the way I was taught by a friend who ran a Indian Restaurant.  Alternative. 

Get a blender add all the Spices, Tin tomatoes, Onions, Coconut Milk blitz it all up. Add to veggies or meat another way to do a Curry.

Then to stockpot sear and colour.  Put on the hob.

You should always have may I suggest a Yoghurt after wards with anything containing Spices does help digestion or add Coconut Milk to sauce.

You could make Lasse a Yoghurt Fruit Drink.  Containing Yoghurt, Mango and Cinnamon.   Use frozen Mango.

Curries from the word Kurrai is a wok like Pan . I bought one last year useful as it does make the meals a lot easier. With a lid. Long and slow doing Curries should not be rushed. Timings I try to say around thirty minutes or more.

Please can I just also add here am concerned any belching or stomach pain after eating anything spicy . Might be worth contacting your GP.

VEGGIE BIRIYANA

I make this to use up veggies in the Winter.

Basmati Rice use wholegrain Microwave one.

Vegetables fridge Carrots, diced up sliced.

Any other used Peppers and Tin of sweetcorn what do you have left.

Vegetable stock cube.

Curry Powder one tablespoon.

Like Nuts had used Cashews.

Dried Sultanas a handful.

METHOD

In a saucepan add the rice used half a bag.  Adjust for numbers. Plus Veggies and Crumbled in Stock cube plus Curry Powder. Cover with water to the level of the rice.

Leave to simmer.  Till Rice has absorbed Liquid.  Last minute add in Cashews and dried Sultanas simmer a few more minutes .

Fluff up Rice serve.

Notice no Onions add them if you wish to. 

Hope that helps.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • GettinOlde
    edited July 2019
    @thespiceman Thanks for the recipe and tips.
    What would make a good alternative for the coriander - I'm one of the few that finds the taste particularly unpleasant, it supposedly should have a lemony taste but to me it is just revolting. I also find rocket/arugula unpleasant in salads.

I don't particularly have problems with belching/stomach pains after eating spicy food, just the hiccups if too spicy.
  • thespiceman
    edited July 2019
    Hello @GettinOlde   Thanks for  reply.  Sorry  if I got this wrong about your stomach must have misunderstood.

Know many people have had issues with spices.  Especially the chilli. All Curries are in reality are a stew and longer left the better the taste and mellows out.

In Asian Countries the Curry would be made early and left all day.

In Indian restaurants that is not possible so times are cut down for customers.

Slow cooker is useful here.  

You mentioned Chickpeas.  The problem is buying good quality Chickpeas . Large ones the best small ones turn out hard.  

I use East End product range do a range of Condiments, spices and mixes.  Try to find Ginger Garlic Paste.  This is a puree of Ginger and Garlic .

Lot easier.  Also do tinned Pulses such as Chickpeas.  Lidl do a fantastic range of Indian and Asian products.

Including Spice pastes. Which you do not have to add anything just the paste and veggies plus coconut milk.  Any meat or fish.

Hate Chickpeas do Lentils.   Buy Tinned ones are available or use vacuumed packs.  

The Asian Continent.  Is vast. Do consider climate extremes.  Can be cold.  So there Curries places like Bhutan or near the Himalayas regions .the Curries are mix of Beans and Roots and Noodles with a Chinese influence.

Just add Thai Basil looks like Italian  Basil.  Has a smaller leaf.  You could just add Parsley or Basil.

Coriander has a distinctive Lemon scent .  Used in Indian Asian cooking as an antibacterial.  

I know many are not a fan.

Make it your own remember recipes evolve because of every one is different has tastes that vary and have fun making it.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @GettinOlde   Thanks for  reply.  Sorry  if I got this wrong about your stomach must have misunderstood.

Know many people have had issues with spices.  Especially the chilli. All Curries are in reality are a stew and longer left the better the taste and mellows out.

In Asian Countries the Curry would be made early and left all day.

In Indian restaurants that is not possible so times are cut down for customers.

Slow cooker is useful here.  

You mentioned Chickpeas.  The problem is buying good quality Chickpeas . Large ones the best small ones turn out hard.  

I use East End product range do a range of Condiments, spices and mixes.  Try to find Ginger Garlic Paste.  This is a puree of Ginger and Garlic .

Lot easier.  Also do tinned Pulses such as Chickpeas.  Lidl do a fantastic range of Indian and Asian products.

Including Spice pastes. Which you do not have to add anything just the paste and veggies plus coconut milk.  Any meat or fish.

Hate Chickpeas do Lentils.   Buy Tinned ones are available or use vacuumed packs.  

The Asian Continent.  Is vast. Do consider climate extremes.  Can be cold.  So there Curries places like Bhutan or near the Himalayas regions .the Curries are mix of Beans and Roots and Noodles with a Chinese influence.

Just add Thai Basil looks like Italian  Basil.  Has a smaller leaf.  You could just add Parsley or Basil.

Coriander has a distinctive Lemon scent .  Used in Indian Asian cooking as an antibacterial.  

I know many are not a fan.

Make it your own remember recipes evolve because of every one is different has tastes that vary and have fun making it.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

I love coriander!
  • thespiceman
    Hello @April2018mom   Thanks for the reply. A lot of people do a lot of people do not.

A big debate regarding Cilantro or Coriander. Actually it is one of  my favourite Spices to use Ground.

Has many hidden properties often used in Indian Medicine as a digestion aid.  Good for stomachs, lowers blood pressure, treating mouth ulcers.

Other possible health benefits.

Also the usual plant as the seeds and leaves are used can be ground, seeds whole or leaves.

Try Ground Coriander mix it with Cinnamon and Cumin into Pork or Chicken.

Serve with Chickpeas or Butter Beans.  You could add which I do Turmeric to the Spice mix make a Tagine style sauce.

From Morocco .  Add to roots like Carrots, Butternut squash, Potatoes.

Good recipe for a slow cooker add in Onions and Ginger plus some stock and Passata or a tin tomatoes chopped.  

Long a slow works great with Shin of Beef another cut of meat you can use ask your Butcher or Pork Shoulder or Lamb Shoulder steaks available in the Supermarket.

Good weekend recipe.  Something different to Sunday Roast.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • GettinOlde
    @thespiceman Do fresh and ground coriander taste different? It's definitely the leafy stuff I don't like.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @GettinOlde   Thanks for your post.  Find ground Coriander is made from the whole seeds.

Crushed into a powder.  Has a slight lemon taste.  Yet is it palatable .

What I would recommend is to look at Supermarkets own blends. 

ASDA or TESCO good quality also LIDL.  I know may be small jars and a small amount.

Buy the following to try .  Paprika, Cumin, Turmeric, Ground Coriander, Cinnamon, this gives you a broad selection to mix and match anything to wish to use. 

Then start to look at others.  From that go and purchase Fennel Seeds, Smoked Paprika and looking at chilli blends.

Others are Fenugreek which I do not use but is useful as it has a curry tang and taste useful additional for Curries then others are Cloves to flavour rice.

I buy Onion and Garlic Powder simple use and seasoning of Meat and fish plus anything needs a lift to season the recipe.

You look at every jar of sauces will have Onion or Garlic Powder or Granules .  I use them all the time with Black Pepper.

With Cumin add Coriander or Cinnamon or all three make like myself your own spice blends or dried herb blends.

You can of course put these into shakers as you would use for salt and pepper as used to your own preference.

Once you mastered you own spice blends and herb mixes.  You use a blender just add this one I use all the time.  

HERB PASTA BLEND

Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Coriander, Thyme. All dried herbs in to a blender.

Or this one the Italians use for meat just a sprinkle on to any meat.
    ITALIAN SPICE BLEND.

Chilli Flakes, Oregano, Coriander ground , Fennel Seeds.

BEANS PULSES 

Cayenne, Coriander ground, Cinnamon, Cumin, Turmeric . 

Great with those tinned pulses.   Even Heinz baked beans lack flavour so add this, just a teaspoon .

I know on the food net work channel a programme called Diners, Drive ins and Dives use lots of the recipes contain dried herbs and spices.

Something to look at.

Hope given you some inspiration.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness