Waiting times for decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting times for decision

Options
Cressida
Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
Well I finally caved in and rung DWP to see how long I might have to wait for a decision after f2f assessment. I wish I hadn't as I was told it could be 10 weeks! I have been lucky so far and everything has happened very quickly after submitting my claim. I falsely assumed that the result would follow quickly. It's only been 2 weeks since the f2f and I have a copy of that which looks favourable but until I hear officially it's difficult to forget about it. I need to practice some mindfulness...…..

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cressida the wait for a decision is frustrating and daunting. They usually go by what is stated in the report but it is best to wait until you receive a letter with your decision. Keep us updated and hopefully you don't have to wait too much longer!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cressida, I'm sorry there appears to be a backlog in your area. Like @Ami2301 has said, they do normally go with the recommendation that have been made in the report. 

I understand the frustration around this! Have you found mindfulness to help?
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Those 10 weeks are just a guide and nothing more. There's really no timescales, backlogs is just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 @Chloe_Scope and @Ami2301 for your support! Once I have that decision I feel I can began to move forward with my life, everything seems to be on hold, it was on hold while I was preparing the form, on hold while I was waiting for f2f, on hold to get my copy of the assessment and now on hold for the decision. I know I shouldn't complain as the assessment seems to suggest that I will be awarded the lower rate which is what I expected, but there is still a little part of me that cannot fully believe it. I have now begun checking online banking every day to see whether a payment has been made! I've read on this forum that some people receive their back payment before the final decision. @Chloe_Scope when I try it I do think mindfulness is helpful. It's just sometimes difficult to get my chattering brain to shut up! 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, have you requested a copy of your assessment report? When you receive it you can work out what your award might be or should be but you still have to wait for your official award notification letter, but after reading your report and not what you expect then you have time to prepare for a MR while waiting for the award notification letter. If you need to start a MR focus on the descriptors that you are contesting and give several examples of what happened the last time you tried or attempted the descriptor your contesting.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is not a problem at all!

I know what you mean, it can be hard to get your brain to slow down and be quiet! I'm glad that the mindfulness helps though. This is something we have spoken about in the Coffee Lounge if you were interested :)
    Scope

• Cressida
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, have you requested a copy of your assessment report? When you receive it you can work out what your award might be or should be but you still have to wait for your official award notification letter, but after reading your report and not what you expect then you have time to prepare for a MR while waiting for the award notification letter. If you need to start a MR focus on the descriptors that you are contesting and give several examples of what happened the last time you tried or attempted the descriptor your contesting.

Hello @wilko yes I have a copy of my assessment and as far as I can see I have been awarded 8 points (which is what I was expecting - I am a first timer). When I received the assessment I was in such a rush to read it that at first I thought I had no points but when I calmed down I could see I have scored 8 and the assessor report matches my application. At least I am waiting for a positive outcome (hopefully). It must be awful to receive the assessors report with bad news and then have to wait 10 weeks for the decision! 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like you when I had my first pip assessment I scored 8 points on daily living and mobility as I expected then after my mobility got worst received full mobility and standard care as expected again so some of us get a fair and honest assessment. 
  • Cressida
    Options
    wilko said:
    Like you when I had my first pip assessment I scored 8 points on daily living and mobility as I expected then after my mobility got worst received full mobility and standard care as expected again so some of us get a fair and honest assessment. 

@wilko that's good to hear! I did get points for mobility which I did not expect. It's nice to hear some good outcomes. This is my first time of claiming mainly as I have continued to work (struggling!) even though I was first diagnosed 30 years ago. My health has taken a download slope over the last 5 years and I now work one day at home so was encouraged to claim by a friend so was really pushed into it. Completing the form was difficult as when you see your problems in black and white everything sounds so bad and it took me 6 weeks to finish it. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.