Meditation — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meditation

Options
jaja
jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
Hello

I have just started practicing meditation. I know it should help with well being but I'm hoping it will help with pain. I wondered if anyone else meditated and whether it had helped them especially with pain. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks
J

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jaja

This 20-minute guided meditation course from Meditainment is free, easy to follow and proven to help people cope with chronic pain and is suggested by the NHS.

I find mindfulness and meditation a massive help for me living with a chronic illness and I used meditation to help with post operative pain too.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi @jaja,

I have the free version of Headspace which is an app available on IOS, android or Google play store. I've found it really helpful and easy to pick it up.

To be honest, I wish I did it more often. :)
    Scope

• jaja
    Options
    Hello @Sam_Scope

Thanks for the reply.  I could do with a refresher. I did the classes years ago but the practice only lasted a month or so. It was all too calm for me.

I'm glad you find it helpful with pain. I am hoping I will see a similar result. I will try the course.

Thank you for the link
    J
  • jaja
    Options

I will look at that app, thanks.

That was the same with me. I paid for the classes, this was prior to illness but it really didn't stick. I found it very difficult to be so still. My reaction to the practice in the class was very strange. When meditating the only thought that entered my head was about clapping my hands and startling everyone. I never did it and was a little disturbed by the thought as it really wasn't me. I was assured it was normal when I approached the teacher. Needless to say it didn't lead to me mastering meditation.

Did you find it made a difference to you?

We will see how long I last this time.

J

• Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @jaja

I hope you find the app useful! It's certainly a skill that can take time to get used to. I have found that it has helped when I have been in a lot of pain.

Please do let us know how you get on! :)
    Scope

• Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    Options
    Try chanting.....many years ago I taught Tibetan refugees carpentry, they were the happiest people I've ever met, their religion rubbed off on me,try a Buddhist chant with prayer beads,I've found over the years it helps to stop the mental chatter.
    P.S. Non practicing is Buddhist...only the chanting 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jaja,

I have the free version of Headspace which is an app available on IOS, android or Google play store. I've found it really helpful and easy to pick it up.

Hi @jaja,

Now I want to try it. 
  • jaja
    Options
    @Chloe_Scope - I'm glad you found it useful. That is promising for me.  I will let you know.

@swordfish - thanks for the recommendation. I shall have a look.

@April2018mom - we should all do it and compare notes.
  • April2018mom
    Options
    jaja said:
    @Chloe_Scope - I'm glad you found it useful. That is promising for me.  I will let you know.

@swordfish - thanks for the recommendation. I shall have a look.

@April2018mom - we should all do it and compare notes.
    Yes. We should. There are even meditation courses online- have a look. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
  • April2018mom
    Options
    How is the meditation going @jaja
  • jaja
    Options

Not that great. The relaxing parts are nice but I get annoyed when they tell me to focus on the pain.  I shall keep trying for a little while longer and then try the app I think. Did you try?

Brightness