Who qualifies for a blue badge. And who should qualify — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who qualifies for a blue badge. And who should qualify

Misscleo
Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
There are so many people with blue badges now. There arnt enough of the bays for people who have wheelchairs.
Should there be loads more bays for disabled people 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Judging by the amount of cars constantly increasing it doesn't surprise me that there's a serious lack of disabled bays. Even worse when you have people using them without displaying a BB which happens a lot in my area.

As for who should qualify then without automatically qualifying each local council have their own criteria but don't forget that not all disabilities are visible...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I thought car parks now had to have a certain percentage of blue badge bays to the usual parking bays.
    I'm sure I've read that somewhere. 
  • poppy123456
    KG100 said:
    I thought car parks now had to have a certain percentage of blue badge bays to the usual parking bays.
    I've never heard of this. In a car park close to where i live there's over 100 spaces and only 4 of those are disabled bays.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Louise2001
    Louise2001 Posts: 24 Connected
    As long as you are disabled in some way you should automatically qualify. 
  • poppy123456
    As long as you are disabled in some way you should automatically qualify. 
    This isn't correct. Certain benefits will automatically qualify you. If you don't claim those then it will depend on the criteria of your local council and evidence will most likely be needed. It's not as easy as it used to be years ago. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/applying-for-a-blue-badge/

• KG100
    KG100 said:
    I've never heard of this. In a car park close to where i live there's over 100 spaces and only 4 of those are disabled bays.
    I remember hearing a few years a go that people were moaning about a car park having too many disabled bays compared to regular parking bays.
    They were saying the percentage was too high.
    It was probably just a figure of speech. 
  • poppy123456
    I've had my BB for 6 years now and i've yet to enter any car park with "too many BB bays" we can only hope for this to ever happen. It's very frustrating everytime i go out.
  • KG100
    Depends which way you look at it Poppy, we would say there's not enough disabled bays and the non disabled would say the opposite !!

• shirleyt214
    shirleyt214 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    I thought that the blue badge scheme was created to help those with MOBILITY issues. It seems that too many 'able bodied ' are now entitled to hold a blue badge. People with mobility difficulties don't stand much chance of finding an available disabled parking bay.
    Shirley Todd
  • KG100
    I thought that the blue badge scheme was created to help those with MOBILITY issues. It seems that too many 'able bodied ' are now entitled to hold a blue badge. People with mobility difficulties don't stand much chance of finding an available disabled parking bay.
    We must remember that lots of disabled people have mobility problems that change during good and bad days.
    On some days my friends can walk around without too many problems but on other days we're the wheelchair brigade !!
    We can't judge by sight who's disabled or not. 
  • KG100
    Earlier this year one of my close friends died of terminal cancer, I often wonder if people who saw her getting out of a car and walking thought she was able bodied or not.
    Yes, she could seem ok on a "good day" !!
  • poppy123456
    There's lots of people with invisible disabilities too. One of the new automatic entitlements to a blue badge that's coming out in England in the end of August this year is for those that scored 10 points in following and planning a journey for PIP. These people don't have mobility issues and can walk perfectly normal. Blind or severely sighted people also automatically qualify.

Please don't judge a book by it's cover because not all disabilities are visible.

Brightness