PIP Assessors report copy not happy) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessors report copy not happy)

Options
Benny20021
Benny20021 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, Can someone help!
 I have received my HP copy after requesting it of of DWP just 1 day after my assessment, however on it I have been awarded 0 points on all sections (which im really confused about) it even says in the box (for example 11 planning journey) "Although the claimant reports significant distress and would escape from the bus, he has CBT upcoming with CAHMS, so is lickly to plan the route of a journey unaided". It is like this with most questions. and I dont know what to do? I cant plan a journey, which inconclusive to cant use public transport is 12 points not 0?
So confused it is like this with all the questions, what should I do?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Go to this website- https://www.advicenow.org.uk/
    They have a useful PIP section for claimants. There is even a MR letter writing tool you can use to write a appeal letter as well. Good luck and keep us updated on the outcome of your appeal!
    Make sure you request your copy of the assessment report afterwards too. I was shocked when I sat down to read my son’s assessment report the day it came in the mail. Luckily I managed to overturn the decision with some help from his amazing social worker.
    She was confounded too. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Benny20021 and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been awarded any points. When you get your decision letter you will have a month to request a mandatory reconsideration. Here is some information about the process. It may also helpful to seek some face to face advice from Citizen's Advice. If you need anything at all then please do let us know :)
    Scope

• Benny20021
    Options
    4 weeks have passed and still nothing apart from a Letter to say theve received all the information needed to make a decision. And the fact I have read the assessment report already makes it alot more stressful!!!????
  • Hartley
    Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
    Options
    @Chloe_Scope

I dont wish to debate the fact that ive not attended ALL the CAB drop ins...but in my area theyre frikkin useless..

Seriously!   myself and my ex partner...had we gone ahead with one of their crazy"lets get creative" suggestions..we both would have lots our benefits...
  • Hartley
    Options
    @Benny20021

Stressing wont help..(who loves being told that ?) what youre trying to do..like all of us..is work it all out before it happens..im in a similar boat...except i havent had my f2f yet but know whats coming..

Just hope for the best...but totally and i mean totally be ready to do mandatory and tribunal..

Ive already set this in my mind..rather than talk to myself endlessly about how ill and incapable i am...its them that need the evidence and ,well.,,,we know what they can do  with that.,.

Scope is here....loads of info and people with far farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more knowledge than i..

but fight these $$%%%ers....its all you can do!
  • SachiRae1
    SachiRae1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi, Can someone help!
     I have received my HP copy after requesting it of of DWP just 1 day after my assessment, however on it I have been awarded 0 points on all sections (which im really confused about) it even says in the box (for example 11 planning journey) "Although the claimant reports significant distress and would escape from the bus, he has CBT upcoming with CAHMS, so is lickly to plan the route of a journey unaided". It is like this with most questions. and I dont know what to do? I cant plan a journey, which inconclusive to cant use public transport is 12 points not 0?
    So confused it is like this with all the questions, what should I do?
    Hi there, I had the exact same experience, I’m currently awaiting a redecision and if they say no again I’ll take them to a tribunal. This is absolutely ridiculous that people are really getting denied about their disabilities like this. I’m going to be writing a very strongly worded letter of complaint.
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    4 weeks have passed and still nothing apart from a Letter to say theve received all the information needed to make a decision. And the fact I have read the assessment report already makes it alot more stressful!!!????
    You could use the time waiting to prepare your mandatory reconsideration, it helps you focus on doing something positive to counter the report. 

Go through the report, think of the way they have interpreted the information you have already supplied, there will be a list of evidence they have used to compile the report such as reference to CQ (claimants questionnaire) or other evidence, you supplied. 

You can start by making notes giving anecdotal examples (suggested 2 for each descriptor you are challenging) Keep a daily diary for at least two weeks incorporating the specific descriptors, saying what happens and how you feel when faced with a particular daily challenge or situation. 

Seek face to face advice from https://advicelocal.uk/  or your local CAHMS team for some support for mandatory reconsideration. Take your notes and diary along as it will be the best means of expressing how  your daily life is affected. 

By the time the decision is here, you will be ahead and prepared or a good way towards requesting MR. 

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Stuff like this is what makes me angry with the system.

"he has CBT upcoming with CAHMS"

Is blatant scoring on diagnosis/treatment.  The law doesnt state PIP is awarded on either diagnosis or treatment.

Probably doesnt mean definitely, you basically got assessed because of how others might handle CBT.  Plus you havent even had the CBT yet so how does he/she know if it will even work and shouldnt be part of the scoring in my view.  To me thats a flaw already in the report, they supposed to asses you on the now not the future.  The only relevant part about the future is the tickbox they have if they think the condition will be present at next review.
  • Benny20021
    Options
    I know! If I dont get awarded what I'm due then I'm thinking on not only doing MR and tribunal (if necessary) but also try and start a campaign to overhaul the pip system as there are to many of us that are not being awarded what we are due!
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Section 11 isn't solely about literally being able to plan a journey in the sense of knowing where to go.

questions you need to ask yourself and write on your appeal:

can you go out alone?
    what happens when you go out alone (or with someone)?
    is there any differences between going to somewhere you don't know (e.g the assessment centre - did you go to assessment yourself?), or somewhere you do know (local shops)?

you need to explain this on your appeal.

Sounds like your assessor was a **** and isn't awarding you points solely based on the fact you have upcoming treatment which may or may not work. Their job is to assess you on how you are on the day not how you may be  months down the line.

PIP isn't fair on mental health imo. The descriptors are so heavily focused on physical problems and I honestly feel like the assessors focus on physical rather than mental.

[Post edited by moderator to remove profanity]
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    Options
    There definitely seems to be a disconnect on Section 11 by the DWP and its AP's.  Isn't that the section that the 1.6 million reassessment is about as well?

I was told by various people those questions reflect psychological distress when going outside.

But my HCP, clearly was only interested in if I was able to use maps, follow GPS etc whilst in a vehicle.  I also noticed that's what the gov.uk states as well for the descriptor.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @worried33 - does the DWP guidance refer to being in a vehicle?

It seems to be carefully worded to avoid mentioning 'vehicles'   (apart from on buses and public transport)

• Benny20021
    Options
    Well I finally got a decision : they haven't awarded me pip and I'm just at that stage now when I dont think I can fight it the last few months have taken it out of me trying to get the decision maker to understand. ??
  • Hartley
    Options
    Well I finally got a decision : they haven't awarded me pip and I'm just at that stage now when I dont think I can fight it the last few months have taken it out of me trying to get the decision maker to understand. ??
    Tribunal?
  • SachiRae1
    SachiRae1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I’m so sorry they aren’t listening to you. I know it’s exhausting and difficult to handle but you can do this! You deserve that money and most clear indecision’s are resolved in tribunal. If you definitely need it tribunal should be able to see that. I’m currently waiting for a reconsideration and I don’t even think they were looking at my MR until I called and gave them a boot up the ****. I hope everything goes amazing and you get what you need. Don’t give up hope x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. Reading back through the thread i see this was the actually decision and you haven't yet requested the MR.

If you do decide to change your mind then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, which you should put in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you exceed that 1 month deadline then with good reason you do have 13 months.

Most MR decisions remain the same so it's very likely the decision won't change. As others have said Tribunal are a lot more understanding than DWP and the health assessment providers. Appearing in person will give you a 74% chance of success.

There are agencies out there that will help and support you and some will even represent you (welfare rights and a law centre)

Good luck, what ever you decide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    Options
    cristobal said:
    @worried33 - does the DWP guidance refer to being in a vehicle?

It seems to be carefully worded to avoid mentioning 'vehicles'   (apart from on buses and public transport)

The gov.uk site  doesnt mention vehicles for the descriptor guidance, so I meant they mean about navigating but not specifically whilst in a vehicle sorry, for the internal guidance I need to check the document I have, bear in mind my document is a year out of date tho and DWP is constantly updating its internal guidance.  Given the recent stuff with this set of descriptors my document could be considered near useless on it now.

I think the reason why my assessing HCP was asking whilst in a vehicle I had already told him I use taxis to get around.
  • Benny20021
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I recieved 6 points for daily living, when I know I'm eligible for at least 15 of these points. And motability wise, the component I needed most I recieve nothing!and I am eligible for at very least 12
  • Benny20021
    Options
    Just been speaking to DWP and the decision maker holding my case seems really nice and doing it properly. Theve requested more evidence from my GP so I'm hoping this goes in my favour. As she usually only writes what you ask. I'm just hoping I dont have to go through appeal. And this MR goes in my favour. To be honest rn I dont care if I just get enhanced daily living and standard motability. Compared to what I'm due. I just need it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Options
    I'm still waiting for my decision, it's been about 22 weeks now. It's because the DM disputed something in the report and they asked for further information from my medical centre. It was nothing more than a review, nothing had changed since my first assessment but the assessor seems to have ignored all of the info he was provided with.

Good luck with yours.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.