Enquiring — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enquiring

Options
Jazzlady2019
Jazzlady2019 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,

I claim ESA and PIP and over the years I have borrowed money to a friend. Total is £1,500 and he has the money to pay me back. I know I am not allowed over the £6,000 savings but if they transfer the money to me I still will be under the £6,000 savings amount.

If this is paid to me and I am still under the £6,000. Do I still have to inform DWP?

Really need help.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Savings of below £6,000 are disregarded from all means tested benefits. You only need to tell them if your savings reach that £6,000 mark and this includes all savings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    Your allowed savings on PIP

ESA you aren't. You don't have to inform them if it's under £6000
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Jazzlady2019 and welcome to the community.
    I hope Poppy and Pipquestions2 have been able to reassure you that as it's under £6,000 you do not need to inform them. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Jazzlady2019, I hope the answers have helped. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Options
    You are allowed up to £6,000 on ESA. for a single person. It is more for a couple about £16,000 I think and single pensioners it is about £10,000 . I can understand your anxiety you read about DWP spying on people's account for every extra penny but I think it is just people getting anxious. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Silver925 said:
    You are allowed up to £6,000 on ESA. for a single person. It is more for a couple about £16,000
    This isn't correct sorry. Savings of £6,000 and over affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. Savings of £16,000 and over and all means tested benefit stop. It's the same whether you're single or a couple.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.