ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Options
Jackiemac
Jackiemac Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi new to all this ....my husband has been on statuatory sick pay since mid Feb...should he be applying for esa now as his sick note does not run out till October. I'm sure he won't be fit to go back then either. Thanks for any advice in advanced ?

Comments

• Jackiemac
    Options
    hi guys...new to all this my husband has been on ssp since mid February. His latest sick note is till the end of October which I'm sure he won't be fit for work. His ssp will be running out soon should we be putting a claim in for esa now?? Not sure what to do all help gratefully received ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

New style ESA can be claimed 3 months before the SSP ends but he won't receive any payments until SSP has ended. I Claiming New style ESA will depend on NI Contributions in the tax years April 2016 to March 2018. Fit notes will be needed from his GP and also his SSP1 form from his employer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jackiemac
    Options
    That you Poppy....so do we need to wait till his sick pay runs out and will his employer send the form through....he was working 40 hours plus between those dates 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, he doesn't have to wait to start the claim. This can be started 3 months before the SSP ends but he won't receive payment until the SSP ends. His employer will send him the SSP1 form. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance-detailed-guide

New style ESA is £73.10 per week and is paid for 365 days unless placed into the support group and then it's paid for as long as he remains in that group.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jackiemac.
    Is your husband likely to have long term health problems that will affect his daily life? If so, he might want to look at claiming Personal Independence Payment. There is some useful information about this, and the rules for claiming, on the Scope website. It is possible to claim PIP and carry on working.
    @poppy123456 is right that the employer should send out the SSP1 form when SSP ends. I would just add that in my experience it is not unusual for employers to forget to do this. A gentle reminder never hurts when it gets towards the end of the 28 weeks. 
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Jackiemac
    Options
    Hi Joanne...he has applied for pip but got 0 points...we have appealed.  He has type 1 diabetes with the complications it brings in later years...ckd. .fibromyalgia...but the worst thing is nerve pain and fatigue . The pip assessor didn't mention this in short report we got back. Thanks for your reply ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.