Just got my letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just got my letter

rete
rete Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi just got my pip letter cutting my benefits  no mobility part really they state U have no physical  disabilities  . I had a paper bazed assessment.  The lies on the letter are unreal. We are in shock at the lack if regard and ignorance if my condition which is myasthenia gravis and they have total ignored there us no mention of it on the letter . No meniton on their write up of reasons why I got care  standard rate just to state that I don't qualify  for the mobility  part . Oh and the lies they say I spoke to themy on the phone and had quoted what I  apparently  said  all rubbish I have never ever at any time spoken to them . And now got to fight while I'll as was taken by am balance to AE with breathing issues mg  crises and chest infection was the cause which with MG can be a life threatening situation. Y
Sent home with antibiotics as they had no nerorogist on call Un real . So got to pray I don't crash again and be admitted  why my GP begs for a neurologist  to see me asap . We have had no support through all of this and still have none and no one seems to want to help or care We have tryed  we need a sup port work or some one . We are both on the edge with our healthough.  But ay you only have to ask we are not people who find it easy to and given that we have and are going knocked back it just confirms that no.one truly cares a ****.

Comments

• loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi rete, so sorry to hear how awful you have been treated. Someone will be along with great advice so please know that people do care. Ii know some people don't think much to the 111 number but I have called them in the past and they always call back. Maybe it may be worth ringing and asking if they can deal with your need to see a neurologist as soon as possible. Sadly your experience is not unusual but please don't give up x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rete, I'm so sorry to hear that the report was full of lies, it's completely understandable that you are annoyed! 

I really hope your breathing issues improve and that you see a neurologist soon.

Was this a tribunal that you just had?
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ rete, Hello and welcome, in your post you haven’t stated if you where being accessed from DLA to PIP, if so then the criteria for assessment is totally different between the two benefits. The first DLA is about your disability, illnesses and mobility issues, whereas PIP is accessed on your abilities to do, preform the activities know as the PIP descriptors. Rete, when and if you next post give more details and information on what the assessment was DLA to PIP, a Mandatory Reconsideration, or a Tribunal. 

• rete
    Hi @rete, I'm so sorry to hear that the report was full of lies, it's completely understandable that you are annoyed! 

I really hope your breathing issues improve and that you see a neurologist soon.

Was this a tribunal that you just had?
    Hi it was from dla to pip and yes should gave been easter for me to get yet not . Myasthenia gravis is a  serious illness that effects the whole health and the main thing is muscle  weakness fatigue  on use  including breathing
    But they clearly gave nit read any of my paper work or letters how on earth can they just over look sure a serious health issue .
    And then to add insult to.injury lie that I told that I had no phisical problems why on earth would I.  Am so so angry and upset husband phoned them to be told well they must have the wrong information really how ?
    We have decided not to answer the phone if they call and so  will  get them to put every thing in writing .
    But as to help doing it still trying to find some one as now stick in the house unable to leave incase start my breathing off again .

• rete
    Had DLA for the laSt 10 years on a life time no end . Thank goodness we brought a car and not a disability one  how we are going to keep it running now though is another question .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria. PIP is about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and not about a diagnosis.

If you disagree with the decision you have 1 month from that date to request the mandatory reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that they will look at the whole decision again so you do risk losing everything you already have, although most MR decisions remain the same. This means you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal and appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice before requesting the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mimmit
    mimmit Community member Posts: 15 Listener
     Hi Rete sorry to hear of your problems it see s like a minefield dealing with PIP or DLA. I am doing it with my daughter at the moment been on DLA/PIP for ten years then last assesment load of lies and 0 points except hearing as had hearing aid one piece of advice i can give is do not try to do a mandatory conciderstion on your own,if you ard over 50 age concern  i have found are a great help  or CAB also some councils have people to help with this,keep your chin up i know it is hard . Mimmit
  • mimmit
    From experience in my area found age concern will come out to you as contacted them for a few people in the past when applying for disability or blue badge but dont know what it is like in other area,s
  • rete
    Thank you yes will give age concern a call was trying to do it our self's as we have always done . Am going to send a copy of the letter to our MP too. Will keep you posted .they even had the nerve to state that because I can access my hospital appointments I access the community  really . Here is a small piece of her write up bloody unreal .given that I have never ever spoken to them on the phone the whole thing is a pack of lies.
  • rete
    Thank you yes will give age concern a call was trying to do it our self's as we have always done . Am going to send a copy of the letter to our MP too. Will keep you posted .they even had the nerve to state that because I can access my hospital appointments I access the community  really . Here is a small piece of her write up bloody unreal .given that I have never ever spoken to them on the phone the whole thing is a pack of lies.
  • rete
    given that I have never ever spoken to any one on the phone this is all lies .
  • mimmit
    This is very similar to my daughters letter she had a friend with her as cannot go to unfamiliar places alone due to anxiety and stressconnected with her mental health she was crying and the assesor said they often cry at assesments then said in letter showed no sign of stress,told her to bend over could only do a bit holding on to desk and keeping head up said  hadno trouble bending over said she could walk 200 mters unaided but my daughter said could only walk very slow and has to use inhalers and so on,we contacted MP and reply negative from minister through our MP now been waiting since may for appeal after refusal of mandatory reconsideration had her money stopped beginning of last December,been using food banks had phone cut off which incorperates her care line  and so on very depressed only silver lining is Dr confirming she will not return to work so will recieve her pension early even though only 50 but it has been really bad for her what i dont understand is without a car she is housbound but dont seem to consider a car a object needed.?
  • rete
    We surspect it is a cut and paste job my son read it and asking are you sure they sent you the right one . No mention of my myasthenia gravi's and that I have a knee problem too . Just can't get our heads round the fact it states I answered on a phone call. have never ever spoken to them only to give my husband pomition to answer on behalf .
    It's so so bad ist it I would like to know how this money we receive is possibly  meant to help us in theor minds .They  seem to think we can only claim it if we sit around all day and be cabbages . Well even cabbages need earth( equal  to our money )to go out in the world and grow.  Would be interested  in their answers what they clas's as good use of money when they cant get theror own house in order.   Good luck to your daughter .
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @rete - I was surprised at the poor standard of my report.

It had obviously never been read by anyone, nor quality checked, otherwise the poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation would have been picked up on.

There were two paragraphs that were so poorly written that they had no meaning at all!
  • rebeccabirch
    rebeccabirch Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi,
    I’m sorry to hear you got that sort of report, my husband had a pip assessment and he got a bad report to- the problem was with his the lady liked the sound of her own voice too much! We’ve asked for a reconsideration, I would speak to as many people as you can and get it known that the report is 100% poor and what it’s done to the state of mental health. 
    I hope you get it sorted :)
    rebecca 
  • Tobias
    Tobias Posts: 46 Courageous
    edited August 2019
    HI,

DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria. PIP is about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and not about a diagnosis.

If you disagree with the decision you have 1 month from that date to request the mandatory reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that they will look at the whole decision again so you do risk losing everything you already have, although most MR decisions remain the same. This means you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal and appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice before requesting the MR.
    quote.
    end quote:

So what do they base their knowledge on? if not the diagnosis?...As they only see you for 30+mins...how can they disagree with your explaination of symptoms and not diagnosis?  it doesnt make sense.
    You tell them x y and z..and why you cant do y....how can they disagree with you?
  • Tobias
    edited August 2019
    rete said:
    given that I have never ever spoken to any one on the phone this is all lies .
    Its a corrupt system, and many that have been fortunate enough to get any pips...dont like to rock the boat..

Just know.its a total lottery..

Many here stated.."fill it in,in your words...only you know your symptoms" operative word is symptoms as everyone hammers home its not based on diagnosis...Yet! WHEN you do as instructed...Zero comes back,and often to many people"!

If PIP do NOT look at the diagnosis..or rather consider it as the main factor..then what are they using to disagree with you on?  You tell them..."cannot walk 20 mtrs" Theyll disagree and type in something you never said....

Or totally changed all that you stated....its their words against yours...its that simple...and literally based on how they are feeling that day....maybe they bring down the hammer or not...and those who didnt get crushed under the hammer and live in fear of the system...seldom say too much about it..

Man dominates man to his own injury..

Not many Spartacus's these days it seems!
    "We're sorry to hear x y and z "...when you get past these platitudes you can still be left wanting.

.Only when people stand together in numbers.....will you even stand a chance of being heard.....Join as many action groups as you can...that go to parliament or contact your local MP's secretary and petition his or her  help...

This is a good site...but there are many places(google google google) youll find action groups...https://cpag.org.uk/news-blogs/news-listings/high-court-finds-dwp-unlawful-universal-credit-assessments
    Took 10 seconds to find..

Its passes the time and youre not stuck with one site as a hub..
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    @tobias - I can only have an opinion based on my own experience which is that I was awarded PIP, and this was increased after a mountain of paperwork and a Mandatory Reconsideration.

As I said above the quality of my assessment was poor in every area - interview technique, incorrect assumptions (which wouldn't have been necessary if I'd been asked the correct question in the first place), and the written quality of the actual report which was grammatically poor and contained paragraphs that made no sense. 

When I applied a sent a couple of pages of diagnoses (neurological, and arthritis in my hips), and completed the form with a couple of examples of how my conditions affected me. I sent a report from an occupational health consultant who had examined me eight years previously when I had to retire from work.

Although I had a poor experience I've not heard any advice on here yet which would lead me to do anything different the next time, although I'm open to suggestions. Lot's of people seem to attach pages of medical reports - I didn't do that because I didn't think that it would help.

If the assessor doesn't believe you, or me, then there's not a lot we can do about it other than be consistent in what we say and take it to a tribunal if necessary.

PS - I recorded my assessment and I'm confident that I wouldn't have been awarded PIP if I hadn't - which is very unfair in itself...
  • FireWalkerUK
    FireWalkerUK Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Rete,
    I am new here myself but after long research and two tribunals I have come to the conclusion that the assessment team's at Capita/Atos are designed to discourage people from claiming PIP or ESA. You haven't started where in the process you are but I will assume you have received your decision letter from your first assessment. You will now have to request a Mandatory Reconsideration from DWP but this is referred back to the original assessor Capita/Atos. There is very little chance that you will see any change at this stage.
    You will then have to ask for avTribunal and at this time you will be able to put forward your case.
    If you can you will need to get all your medical notes via a GDPR request and it would help if you contact CAB or your MP.
    Good luck and I hope you get a fair hearing.
  • Tobias
    cristobal said:
    @tobias - I can only have an opinion based on my own experience which is that I was awarded PIP, and this was increased after a mountain of paperwork and a Mandatory Reconsideration.

As I said above the quality of my assessment was poor in every area - interview technique, incorrect assumptions (which wouldn't have been necessary if I'd been asked the correct question in the first place), and the written quality of the actual report which was grammatically poor and contained paragraphs that made no sense. 

When I applied a sent a couple of pages of diagnoses (neurological, and arthritis in my hips), and completed the form with a couple of examples of how my conditions affected me. I sent a report from an occupational health consultant who had examined me eight years previously when I had to retire from work.

Although I had a poor experience I've not heard any advice on here yet which would lead me to do anything different the next time, although I'm open to suggestions. Lot's of people seem to attach pages of medical reports - I didn't do that because I didn't think that it would help.

If the assessor doesn't believe you, or me, then there's not a lot we can do about it other than be consistent in what we say and take it to a tribunal if necessary.

PS - I recorded my assessment and I'm confident that I wouldn't have been awarded PIP if I hadn't - which is very unfair in itself...
    It seems so arbitrary .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.