Fibromalygia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromalygia

Joycemcnally1961
Joycemcnally1961 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
Hi I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia after 18 months going back forth to my gp with chronic pain all over my body. Trying different medication and nothing worked. So my doctor sent me to see rheumatology and he diagnosed me strait away with fibromyalgia. I have other medical conditions too. I'm wanting to apply for pip they say it goes on what help you need unfortunately I don't need help only help I need is when I go shopping. Pain is all over my body can't sleep well headaches. I can walk 20m but less then 50m. Do you think I should apply for pip. 

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    I think it's worth it. Try and research the descriptors a bit more. Maybe try an online test?

I have Fibro too and as it fluctuates, it was hard to prove. I scored 0 points at the assessment but won at tribunal.
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Thank you. I will send for forms and get cab to fill it out as I'm no good with wording paper work. I did do a pip test and it was 8 points. Is it worth making appointment with my gp to see if he can provide me with letter also send off for all my medical records. Many thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Needing help with your shopping won't be considered under any of the PIP descriptors. Washing/dressing/preparing food/managing toilet needs/dressing/undressing are just some of the activities included in the PIP descriptors. 

Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joycemcnally1961
    I've looked at the descriptors sounds like I would qualify got 10 points. So I'm going to go ahead with the claim. Do you think I should put all my medical conditions down including my fibromyalgia. As I have lot medical conditions. Do you think I should get cab to fill in my forms. 
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Hello I'm new to this site. I've looked at the descriptors and scored 10 points. I think I will go ahead with the claim. I've got so many medical problems. Do you think I should get cab to fill in the form for me. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Joycemcnally1961   Pleased to meet you.

Please can I suggest that you do contact CAB.

Always a good idea.

I use them all the time.

Please can I add make some draft answers on paper. Then make an appointment with CAB.

They will use  evidence and your answers fill in the form with you beside your side.

Very much informative and very much helpful.

I have been using CAB for a number of years.

Please if we can help with anything else please get in touch we are here to support you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Thank you. These health professionals are not qualified in your condition. They say they don't give the points they say its the DWP I don't know how far it's true I was told its the health professionals who make the decision not DWP. Many thanks for your reply. When they say do you need a aid for the bath what do they actually meen by aid. 
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Joycemcnally1961   Thank you for reply.

The assessors are there to do an assessment. Based on that report the DWP makes the decisions.

Have when you receive any forms will include a booklet . Please read carefully what is contains.

There is a lot of information and guidance.

We have information on the PIP benefit on our website.

We are here to answer any questions you may have.

There is much negativity and misinformation about any assessments. Been claiming a long time. Think the positives.

I mentioned CAB because I used them . Had no support worker. Used to have them fill them in for you.  If you have any one like that care worker or support worker can be useful.

I have the understanding there are members of the staff. Who belong to CAB do this all the time.

I would as I suggested draft some answers to each descriptor.

Best you can the information you need say  about yourself.

Then you go down to CAB.  

I got an appointment two ladies by my side wrote in it the correct wording and text.  The information I supplied very helpful and used that.

Prompting by my self and her colleague we complied the form. Lots of advice and guidance plus things I need to know.

Which I had already did know. Yet it is good to have them there.

An aid is something you need to bathe safely.  Could be grab handles .

Shower seats. Are examples.

Please wish you all the success to a positive outcome.

Is  there anything else please get in touch happy to help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Thank you help was much appreciated. When they said aid thought it could be something you bath yourself with like along handle with sponge on the end so you can get to your back. Many thanks 
  • Joycemcnally1961
    So when you sent your forms back to pip can I ask did you actually get any points or did you go for a tribunal hearing. 
  • poppy123456
    Thank you help was much appreciated. When they said aid thought it could be something you bath yourself with like along handle with sponge on the end so you can get to your back. Many thanks 
    A long handle sponge is not classed as an aid for PIP purposes because these are used everyday by people without a disability.

For the purpose of the PIP assessment, aids and appliances may be everyday objects, but whether they are considered as aids in any particular case depends on how the claimant uses the object compared to how (if at all) it might typically be used by someone with no relevant impairment. Where the object would usually or normally be used in the same way by someone without any limitation in carrying out the relevant activity, it is unlikely to be considered an aid or appliance, for example sitting on a bed whilst getting dressed or using a pan with a rubber-grip handle when cooking. In those instances where claimants make use of such items, they should be scored as being able to complete the activity unaided.

• Joycemcnally1961
    Poppy thank you for your feedback.. I do have to sit on the bed to put my cloths on and take off standing is a risk case I topple over with pain in my legs because as my knees have give away before that's why I sit. Many thanks poppy. 
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Thank you for your feedback. Will only put down the main one fibromyalgia. Many thanks. 
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Many thanks will do list up. 
  • poppy123456
    I think you misunderstood me, sitting on a bed to dress and undress is unlikely to score you any points in this activity.

Aids include things like, walking sticks,crutches,canes, grab rails, levered taps, perching stools, bath/shower seats etc.
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Yes poppy looks like I've misunderstood you. Anyway many thanks. 
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Has anyone actually scored points  for fibromyalgia. Many thanks everyone. 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Has anyone actually scored points  for fibromyalgia. Many thanks everyone. 
    I was awarded Standard Care and Enhanced Mobility. I have Fibromyalgia. I had to take it to tribunal though. I didn't score any points at the assessment.
  • Joycemcnally1961
    Don't think anyone scores points. They should think we have to live with this and it's a very chronic pain that is never going to get better if anything it will get worse. Many thanks for your feedback. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.