ESA Overpayment Under Caution Interview — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Overpayment Under Caution Interview

Options
lpg
lpg Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello
DWP is asessing my ESA. It seems I have been overpaid, I have £12.000 savings. I have sent the bank account details since 2014, last june. I have not yet received a letter of decision. Is it normal they take so long? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

You'll need to ring DWP and ask what's going on and they will be able to tell you. I'm afraid we could only guess here what's happening. Hopefully you'll get some answers when you ring.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • surreyjj12
    surreyjj12 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi. Same thing has just happened to me.  Have they stopped any of your benefits whilst you've been waiting ?  Sorry to ask such a personal thing 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi @lpg, have you had any decision yet?

Hello @surreyjj12 and a warm welcome to the community. :) Have they contacted you at all? From other members posts they do seem to suspend benefits payments while reviewing the possible overpayment. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • surreyjj12
    Options
    Thank you. ... had no contact as of yet - have to take 5 years worth of bank statements back to them on tuesday...
  • lpg
    Options
    Hi all.  I called on 09 August.  They told me they were assessing my esa, and that i would have news in two weeks.  But I still haven't received any letter of decision.  I feel ill, can't sleep. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lpg I'm really sorry to hear that it is affecting your sleep and health. I understand how stressful it can be to wait for a decision. Have you found anything that helps you?

I really hope you are not waiting too long and please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

• lpg
    Options
    No news, yet, I'm exhausted! I called today they said they need two more weeks, as no decision is made yet. Now it is more than two months. Do you know how long does it take for a decision about overpayments?

• poppy123456
    Options
    There's no timescales for any decisions. Are you still receiving payments for your ESA or have they suspended payments?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately there are no timescales but I really hope it is not much longer! 
    Scope

• surreyjj12
    Options
    I so feel for you.  I've handed in my 5 year statements today . what annoyed me was the guy wasnt even there .... like you I've not slept ,can't eat, any help/advice would be appreciated.  tia
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I so feel for you.  I've handed in my 5 year statements today . what annoyed me was the guy wasnt even there .... like you I've not slept ,can't eat, any help/advice would be appreciated.  tia
    Hi,

What help and advice would you like? Could we have some more information to be able to help you please?
  • surreyjj12
    Options
    Just wondered if esa payments were stopped whilst  investigation / decision was made ? Also , bit confused about sanctions too ?
  • lpg
    Options
    in my case DWP has not yet stopped the payments, I submitted my bank accounts in 28th June and still waiting for a decision letter.

• surreyjj12
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. X
  • poppy123456
    Options
    lpg said:
    in my case DWP has not yet stopped the payments, I submitted my bank accounts in 28th June and still waiting for a decision letter.

It's unlikely that they will be stopped now. Are you still receiving the same money, or reduced payments? Of course any overpayment will need to be repaid back and if the change of circumstances was reported when they should have been then you may have a fine on top of the overpayment.

What advice would you like about sanctions?
  • surreyjj12
    Options
    Basically what are sanctions ? How does it work ?  sorry .... not being thick ,just a lot to get my head around ...
  • poppy123456
    Options
    A sanction is when you haven't done something you're supposed to do. This won't apply to you. If you didn't report changes in circumstances and you had savings you didn't report that were over the amount you should have then they will reduce your ESA accordingly depending on how much savings you have.
  • surreyjj12
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.