Bulging Disc Nerve Pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bulging Disc Nerve Pain

jimmyjimmy
jimmyjimmy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2019 in Cerebral palsy
Hi Folks,

Hope you doing okay.

I have recently been diagnosed with a bulging disc that is impinging on my left nerve root, causing sciatica. I have been to loads of private physiotherapists as the NHS physiotherapist was very poor, i just wanted to get out of pain. All seem to give mixed advice, but i am awaiting a referral to a pain clinic from my GP too as the pain down my leg makes me very depressed.  

However i wondered what exercises i can do, as some physiotherapists state its hard work but over 6 months to 1 year the disc bulge can go back. What types of exercises do i need to be working on please? Some physiotherapists have given me strengthening exercises, some have told me to use a lumbar stretching device. Some have told me to focus on McKenzie exercises, however i really do not want to worsen anything.  

Thank you for any help you can give to try and get me out of pain. I appreciate your time reading my comments.

Jimmy  

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimmyjimmy and a very warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry this has continued to cause you pain, and that you haven't found much relief from physio. Have you ever had a pain clinic referral? I have had several over the years and have found them to be helpful.

Have you tried things like heat or ice to reduce pain? I know this can really help some people :)

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help then please do let us know!
    Scope

• Jiggy
    Jiggy Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    I have a building disc and after practicing tai chi I can honestly  say I don't know it's there
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @jimmyjimmy, how have you been this week?

Scope

• ozzy19721968
    ozzy19721968 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi I have a fused c6 and c5 and disc bulge in c4 with trapped nerve and narrowing of the spinal canal I cant move my head side to side or up and down and have arthritis spores over the fused bones also have arthritis in both shoulders and muscle wastage on right side and weakness down my right side arthritis in the lower back and knees the pain in my knees is getting unbearable I am on morphine patches and anti depressants for pain is there anything that can help my knees 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have a fused c6 and c5 and disc bulge in c4 with trapped nerve and narrowing of the spinal canal I cant move my head side to side or up and down and have arthritis spores over the fused bones also have arthritis in both shoulders and muscle wastage on right side and weakness down my right side arthritis in the lower back and knees the pain in my knees is getting unbearable I am on morphine patches and anti depressants for pain is there anything that can help my knees 
    Have you been referred to a pain clinic? Exercise may also help. 
  • ozzy19721968
    Yes April mom been sent to pain management was ment to have appointment a few weeks ago had to travel 58 mile each way for them not to turn up and when I phoned the next available appointment was September the 16th I do lots of walking but after 10 to 20 mins the pain is so bad I have a good pain threshold but this does get me down tried tramadol and other meds with them but pain is getting worse have just been told by work they are looking into retiring me on medical grounds 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ozzy19721968 and a warm welcome to the community.

I’m really sorry to read how much pain you’re in and travelling 58 miles each way for nothing is ridiculous. Please let us know how you get on with your next appointment.

Are you happy with the possibility of being retired? If not, it might be worth consulting ACAS (https://m.acas.org.uk/) or EASS (https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/ and finding out what your rights are.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ozzy19721968
    Hi adrian I do come under the disability at work act the job I do I am on my feet all day but been on restricted duties where I have been able to sit down but been told that they cant accommodate this for much longer i have other medical conditions that are getting aggravated with the pain I am in I am diabetic 6 injections a day have angina .I have applied for pip so waiting on them to come out on the 16th even they cancelled the first appointment an hr before they where ment to come out 
  • Adrian_Scope
    You seem to be getting mucked about by a lot of people at the moment @ozzy19721968.
    Lots of our members have been through the PIP process, so if you have any questions at all or need some help with that, just let us know.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @ozzy19721968, how are you doing?
    Scope

• ozzy19721968
    Hi cloe I am doing ok at the moment had my pip assessment on Tuesday and going to pain management on the 16th of this month .how are you all keeping. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @jimmyjimmy

I had the same injury.  McKenzie exercises, Bowen Therapy and Alexander Technique are all supposed to help, but I can't afford them ATM. I found that massage, stretching and heat helped somewhat. I had a microdiscectomy after 12 weeks, and have had chronic pain since, but my outcome wasn't the norm! If advise that  if you'ref offered surgery, do your research first!

The body does usually slowly reabsorb the disc material, but it does take months-a year. I wish I'd known that. :/
  • ozzy19721968
    Hi way lay if it was just the disc bulge I could manage that ok but it's the degenerative disk disease and the arthritis that seem to come all at once knees are painful all the time and I cant walk up right as my back kills feel the bones rubbing together got the pain management clinc Monday so hopefully they will be able to suggest something but will not hold my breath as surgeon has already said it is to narrow to operate on 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi way lay if it was just the disc bulge I could manage that ok but it's the degenerative disk disease and the arthritis that seem to come all at once knees are painful all the time and I cant walk up right as my back kills feel the bones rubbing together got the pain management clinc Monday so hopefully they will be able to suggest something but will not hold my breath as surgeon has already said it is to narrow to operate on 
    Good luck!
  • belfastdavid
    belfastdavid Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was referred by the pain clinic for Pilates classes (run by my physiotherapist on the NHS) a few years ago. Initially I scoffed at the idea, but to this day I do the breathing and slight stretching exercises, and while I am far from pain free, they make a difference. And those of us who live with chronic pain will do anything that provides any kind of relief. Check it out, it may well help to alleviate a little of the pain. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Good luck at the clinic today @ozzy19721968. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ozzy19721968
    Thanks adrian will let you know what they say later 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope your appointment goes okay today @ozzy19721968! Sorry for the delay, I was away last week.
    Scope

• ozzy19721968
    What a waste of time what has the NHS come to been told today at the pain management clinc that I should have been refferred to the neurologist clinc and have some test done before I was sent to pain management said once I have been there they will refer me back to pain management he said the consultant should have referred me ther first so back to square one again said to him I will just struggle on as I am tired of getting pushed from one to other and nothing getting sorted .his reply we can review your medication once you have been to hospital for test .walked out 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @ozzy19721968, I'm sorry to hear this and I appreciate how frustrating this must be! I really hope you aren't having to wait long for tests and the rest of the process can run more smoothly for you. I understand how difficult this is, so please let us know if we can do anything to support you.
    Scope

Brightness