Paying out underpayments from incap to esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paying out underpayments from incap to esa

stillpoorly
stillpoorly Community member Posts: 20 Listener
hi all does anyone no how far they have got to paying out underpayments from incap  to esa ,i changed in 2011 not heard anything as yet 

Comments

• stillpoorly
    hi all does anyone know how far they have got to paying out underpayments from incap to esa ,i changed over in 2011 not heard anything as yet
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stillpoorly
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question, I hope they'll be able to help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

All those that transferred from IB were placed on Contributions based ESA and weren't assessed for any income related top ups. They will eventually contact all those that may have been affected by this and are backdated claimants as far back as 2011 providing you qualified for the Income Related top ups at that time. They will of course have to reassess your claim before knowing how much, if any backdated money they owe you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stillpoorly
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi stillpoorly,

It is still an ongoing process and the latest update can be found here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/738197/m-11-18.pdf

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @BenefitsTrainingCo said:

The Government acknowledged the full backdating of the ESA arrears (prior to October 2014) on 18 July 2018. 

This meant a further 250,000 cases are to be reviewed specifically in relation to arrears due prior to October 2014. This is in addition to the 300,000 they were already looking at for arrears from October 2014. The DWP have said recently (September) that they are still on schedule to review the original 300,000 by March 2019. This will include additional payments to claimants who have already been paid arrears that were limited to October 2014, with payments expected January-March 2019.

There is currently no timescale for reviewing the additional 250,000 cases.

Not good news for those waiting for the arrears I am afraid. You could call ESA but I am doubtful this would make any difference.

Sarah

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • stillpoorly
    ok thanks, but how do i find out if im entitled as the dwp wont tell me .
  • poppy123456
    Have DWP sent you a letter? They are sending letters out to all those that maybe affected but it can take some time to go through all those claims.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stillpoorly
    no  not yet , if i gave my details ,nat insure num etc to benefit team on here could they find out if im eligable
  • poppy123456
    You can't give your NI number on here because it's an advice forum only and not part of DWP. It's not that DWP won't tell you, it's because they haven't contacted you yet. There's a huge backlog and things like this take time, it's not done over night.
    It will totally depend on circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works, have other household income?

• stillpoorly
    no on my own on n off 30 yrs  
  • stillpoorly
    i stopped at theres now n again cant cope  with women  24 7  been hurt too much in past luv 
  • poppy123456
    Contact DWP and they'll send you the ESA3 form and assess you for the income related top up.
  • stillpoorly
  • stillpoorly
    just sent back form to claim underpayment when incap changed to esa ,does this mean il get some money 
  • poppy123456
    just sent back form to claim underpayment when incap changed to esa ,does this mean il get some money 
    Hi,

No, it doesn't i'm afraid. It will all depend on your circumstances between the dates stated in the letter. They are contacting everyone that transferred across. Some are owed money and some aren't. Decisions are currently taking between 12-20 weeks.
  • stillpoorly
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    I got mine a couple of months ago. I was entitled to any Income Related as I had paid too much NI Contributions. Not everyone they contact will get it. They have to assess your situation as it was back then. If you paid too much National Insurance they won't pay any.
  • poppy123456
    It's not about paying too much national insurance. The Income Related top up is about income from living with a partner that works, pensions, savings and capital.
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    They told me it was because I paid too much NI Contributions for the two years that applied to me. I didn't have savings or a partner at the time.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.