Can I get help packing and moving to a new home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get help packing and moving to a new home?

Ragesht
Ragesht Community member Posts: 44 Connected
hi, I am a disabled multiple sclerosis suffer, I am 56 years of age, due to a divorce I may have to find my own home. I was wondering that when the time comes can I apply or get, paid or unpaid  help in packing  and moving my personal belongings to the new home and unpacking.

thank you,
Ragesh 

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Ragesht said:
    hi, I am a disabled multiple sclerosis suffer, I am 56 years of age, due to a divorce I may have to find my own home. I was wondering that when the time comes can I apply or get, paid or unpaid  help in packing  and moving my personal belongings to the new home and unpacking.

thank you,
    Ragesh 
    Hi @Ra@Ragesht
    I am going through this myself and so it will be interesting & helpful to hear what others can suggest... My own advice would be to contact your local council housing department AND adult social services... I also completed a form online via my local council asking for all of the assistance that I need. They are currently assessing my needs and so I'm waiting to hear back from them... There doesn't seem to be ANY charities which can help, but subject to your own financial means you may be entitled to help with moving costs, and again your council is the place to ask. I know many people say this, but if all else fails visit the Citizens Advice Bureau and they will point you in the right direction.
  • Ragesht
    Hi, many thanks for your advice.
  • LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    @Ragesht on a commercial level there are companies who do pack and unpack for a fee. We moved last year and the council paid for help with our removals as there were multiple disabilities in the family, however they did make it very clear that this was VERY rare and was a personal decision they made to help us. The actual co!many helping however we're awful! I have been a disabled single mum in the past and use a really good packaging company however which saved my life! 

Need anymore information please ask 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Ragesht
    Thank you for your advice, you have helped.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ragesht
    Local Councils often have allocated funds to assist people in urgent need so it may be worth getting in touch with them to ask if they can help.

Do you have any friends or family who you could call on to help?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ragesht
    Hi , thanks, yes I do have family but they are 60+. Overs hanksnfor the information though.
  • livonia
    livonia Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Are yu staying with same authority at district level? Your district council will have a fund . I moved areas and was on my knees literally coping packing . My neighbours helped a little. One idea is ask age uk that’s local to yu maybe they have ideas or volunteers 
  • Ragesht
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ragesht, I hope you are doing well. Was your local council able to help?
    Scope

• Ragesht
  • livonia
    When I moved within same authority area I was able to get help with moving costs under discretionary housing benefit as it’s a pot of money for additional housing costs can yu get sight of their form each council admin their own scheme not all will give for moving costs mine did they gave because moving reduced my costs as was lower rent and cheaper heating 
  • livonia
    If you are still a trade union member as non worker I kept membership for two years -  sorry don’t your circumstances bit they sometimes assist.

parish council ? Cd yu phone local citizens advice if they know anyone ? Some very small local charities support people local to them for example  
  • Ragesht
    Good good idea, thank you, I will try.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope @livonia's suggestion helps. But please let us know if not :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    In my area there are 2 removal companies who specialize in Council House moves. They charge extra for packing everything for you but I didn't inquire about unpacking. As Council Moves have to be carried out usually during a single week (two weeks at the most) and also because you usually have little advance notice these two companies will deal with such specific problems and get a person or family moved on time and with the least fuss. In your position I would ring round various removal firms and ask if they provide this sort of service. If they don't they should know of any companies who do. Do keep in mind though that moving this way is not cheap. Around 4 years ago the move cost about £2,500 for the move and packing, for carpets and fitting them and for the items needed for curtains and other bits and pieces but I did have a little help from my brother-in-law with the curtains, wiring the cooker and other little bits and pieces.

Hope this helps.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    I realise how lucky I was when I moved having good friends. Unfortunately I was just as difficult to move lol I don't know what area you are in. I'm in sw2 so my carers got advice from a charity called centre 70. I don't know if there is one in your area. But I wish you lots of luck. Also I don't know if scope phone line could give you advice. Everyone has been helpful and good advice so I hope one of the options gives you a solution to your problem
  • Ragesht
    Thank you very much for your kind thoughts.
  • livonia
    Ex forces ? If yu are Salvation Army help
  • charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    I know this is a long shot but have you tried calling your local church. Sometimes they offer services of help. My mum was a big church goer back in the day they often helped people. It may be a silly idea. But from experience when I was young they did offer certain services. It's worth a try. Google brilliant for finding nearest parish phone number. 

Brightness