Wife applied to be reassessed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wife applied to be reassessed

laggy
laggy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, I am 64; and am a proud Yorkshireman. I have COPD, Emphysema, Heart failure, Kidney disease (stage 3) and osteo-arthritis of the spine. I am carer to my wife who has had numerous strokes along with angina and high blood pressure, along with Macular Degeneration meaning she has very poor eyesight.

I get PIP standard rate mobility and care, and my wife gets standard rate mobility. Her claim doesn't expire until next year but she needs help with her care and so has applied to be reasessed.

Comments

• jblakelock
    jblakelock Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    try to get a benefits charity to help with forms and request a home visit. remember your wife is not obligated to do any thing physical while at the assessment, even if requested by the assessor
  • laggy
    try to get a benefits charity to help with forms and request a home visit. remember your wife is not obligated to do any thing physical while at the assessment, even if requested by the assessor
    Thanks for the advice, we did get Age to help with the forms and just waiting for an assessment date, and we shall ask for a home visit.
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @laggy

Hello and welcome  :)

I'm 64 and previously from Yorkshire too, now living down South (I miss Yorkshire though) 

Sorry your wife has suffered numerous strokes, I do hope she is recovering well. 

Yes, I would think your wife should be getting Daily Living if you are her carer.
    The process is so daunting though isn't it? 

My husband is my carer and thank goodness I have him, he's been my rock.

My PIP renewal is due and I have my assessment in two weeks. Are AGE helpful? I'm thinking of going to them if I need to go to Mandatory Reconsideration?

Btw, which part of Yorkshire? We are from East Yorkshire (Humberside)  Missing our fish and chips from Whitby and Filey. Sorry to say but fish and chips just aren't quite the same down here  ;)
  • laggy
    Hi paffuto10 AGE were very good, they helped fill out my wife's form and will be able to help with the MR if needed.. 

At the moment we live in Hull, but have previously lived in Easington, near Withernsea, Hessle and York, and yes the fish, chips and mushy peas are second to none.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @laggy   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to you and your wife's situation .  I would advise speak to CAB for any thing they can help with.

Always useful to consider. Have expertise, knowledge on anything benefit or any thing else you might wish to know.

Please if we can help with anything. Please ask some one will know or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @laggy welcome to the community.
  • laggy
    Thanks for the welcome thespiceman and emmarenshaw.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laggy

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

@steve51
  • laggy
    Thanks for the welcome steve51
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    A warm welcome to the community @laggy! Best of luck with your wife's reassessment. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • laggy
    Thanks for the welcome Adrian_Scope
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

Hello @laggy   :)  

Hello My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to our Community.

Thank you for reaching out to us.  I trust you are having a good day today. after reading your post it seems that both of you in my opinion should get higher mobility, and your wife may be eligible high in care and  daily living fingers crossed. I have included a link which you might find helpful, more so when you come to face to face assessment.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

We are always here to lend support, help, and advise where we can,

If we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us

Have a good day

@connie00   :) 

• laggy
    Thanks for the welcome and advice Connie00

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.